The Book Of Souls (song not album)

How good is The Book of Souls on a scale of 1-10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This song leaves me speechless. It is nothing short of a masterpiece. Janick and Steve are geniuses (and of course the other lads for their contributions and playing). That is all I can manage to type at this point lol. Maybe later I will be able to go into depth.

Well after 2 weeks of listening to The Book Of Souls and listening to the full album about 20 times I have concluded the title track is my 3rd favorite song after Empire Of The Clouds and The Red And The Black, though it's a close one between this and TRATB. It's definitely a 10/10 for me. This one stood out the most on the 1st listen next to to EOTC, it has some very great, heavy riffs! Definitely one of my favorite Maiden songs in general at the moment as is pretty much every song on the album lol. Glad to see everyone else enjoying this song now, I remember a few people saying they were a little disappointed with it in the pre release thread. This entire album is just f***ing awesome!!

I know many of you are spending sleepless nights wondering if I edited the album. Be not afraid my friends I did edit the album. Down to 87 minutes (did not edit TRATB). I think this edit is actually worked very good. :nuts2:

I have come to the conclusion that this song has one of the very best choruses that Maiden have ever done. There is so much power, emotion and atmosphere oozing out of it! Seeing this one live will be a truly remarkable experience!

I have come to the conclusion that this song has one of the very best choruses that Maiden have ever done. There is so much power, emotion and atmosphere oozing out of it! Seeing this one live will be a truly remarkable experience!
Agreed, I also can't get over how good this song is... One of the best choruses ever, but I probably like the pre-chorus even more. And Ascending the throne part is very powerful too. Will this become my favourite reunion song soon?! Well, it's gonna be hard for it to beat The Legacy, but top 5 is certain. Top 3 possibly. I think at this point I rate it higher than Paschendale and Dance of Death, which is a big thing.

As many have already noted, this is a fantastic song and one of the real highlights of the album. Janick and Steve outdid themselves here. Killer riffing, that monster of a chorus, with some great belting from Bruce, and the mystical atmosphere, this is going to end up one of the best songs of the modern lineup for me.

I just wonder, Bruce sounds a bit rough right at the transition from the pre-chorus to the first chorus. Wonder if it was intentional? It surely wouldn't be difficult for him to make a cleaner transition if properly warmed up. Wonder how it will work live.

But then again, he sounded pretty damn good on The Talisman when I saw them in 2011...

Yeah, this is my favorite song off the album as well. It's basically the current Maiden epic template but it's done so damn well. The melodies are awesome, I love the riffs in the first half, and while the second faster sections are a bit redundant they are heavier and more classic than I've heard Maiden sound in ages. My only complaint really is that they totally did not need to reprise the acoustic intro for the outro, it's really not necessary. But it's mercifully short so I don't mind it too much.

I just wonder, Bruce sounds a bit rough right at the transition from the pre-chorus to the first chorus. Wonder if it was intentional? It surely wouldn't be difficult for him to make a cleaner transition if properly warmed up. Wonder how it will work live.

But then again, he sounded pretty damn good on The Talisman when I saw them in 2011...

I daresay Book Of Souls is going to be a bitch for Bruce to perform live. It has to be one of the first five songs in the set or we'll see/hear someone struggle severely there...However I do hope he is capable of pulling it off with flying colours.

The biggest surprise for me was that after the solos Bruce has just one damn line. This was such a relief for me

This song is SO good! It just keeps growing on me. I don't even mind the Losfer Words-esque riff here because it's far heavier and works well. The vocal lines are some of the best in a long time too. I can't wait to hear this song live.

I think someone already mentioned this. The guitar work in the chorus is very similar to the song heaven and hell by black sabbath.

I rate this as the best song on the album and would give it a 9.4/10. I think the intro doesn't need to be repeated twice and there doesn't need to be an outro. Other than that, its perfect

A brilliant track, easily one of my standout favorites. I think, and hope, that this song will replace the "Dance of Death" moment in the setlist, i.e. the place where things get spooky, epic, and very wonderful - usually about song 5 or 6 in the set.

Does anyone know if the wall of sound that hits at 1:17 is helped by just really good keyboards or a full orchestra? Also is that keyboards or a violin that mixes in with the acoustic guitar during the intro?

Back