The Book Of Souls (song not album)

How good is The Book of Souls on a scale of 1-10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think this is my favorite song on the album so far. It's absolutely everything I was hoping for in a Janick epic song. Great, ominous intro that (thankfully) manages to not 100% sound copied from the previous album. A heavy mid paced stomper for the first part with some incredible vocals by Bruce and a really majestic and memorable chorus. Then once they hit the gas it totally flies! Sure it's similar to Losfer Words/Montsegur but it totally works.

I just wish the harmonies that come up towards the end were repeated a bit more as they are so gorgeous.

Remember when we were all concerned about Steve adding choruses to this song (from the Janick interview from last month)? Seems that was a good move as it's a great, great chorus. Man I hope they do this one live.

Having just listened to this I'm happy to say it has grown on me a lot. I still don't think it's near the best on the album but it feels a whole lot better than I originally felt it was.

It will be so funny to see Janick drag along his accoustic guitar around the world for the tour just to play those few notes of melody in the intro and outro.

Yeah, that's the one! Let's bow down to Gers/Harris for giving us this jewel.

The perfect song from start to finish. It's got anything Maiden stands for, amazing vocal and guitar melody lines, blinding solos, superb singing, wicked lyrics.

The Book Of Souls even manages to surpass The Talisman. Both songs seem to have a similar vibe to me.

I sense a serious top 10 song here.

10/10!

Last edited:
Well I'm hoping they'll bring it for Dream Of Mirrors too... or The Talisman...
I would love to see them bring back Dream of Mirrors.

I think at this point, BNW has achieved "classic" status with metal fans. They could bring out any song from it and get a good reaction I think.

Naah, they should bring Journeyman. It would fit nicely after BoS.

Anyway - this song is real grower.

I think Steve starts off meaning to write a "normal" song: verse/chorus 1, verse/chorus 2, then a bit of a guitar solo before the third verse. Except, he gets lost in the "bit of a guitar solo" bit.

The flamenco melody played by a single acoustic guitar at the beginning creates an image of deathly silence after the Mayan civilisation was destroyed by the Spanish.

Then the main riff kicks in we are in the spiritual, astronomical Mayan world. The music and lyrics create a densely colourful tapestry of Mayan imagery.

The chorus is massive and as powerful as a Mayan king standing arms aloft on a pyramid...One of Maiden's finest ever moments.

The onset of Mayan extinction starts once the riffs speed up. Beautiful solos and melodies.

Flamenco is played once more as a reminder of the indigeonus massacre.

The Book Of Souls is going break quite high into my Maiden top 10, that's for sure. The best song Gers/Harris have written, without a shadow of doubt, even better than Dance Of Death.

Yeah this is my fav off BOS along with IESF and TRTB. Best song that Geers been involved with.

I would love to see them bring back Dream of Mirrors.

Totally agree with you there. It's my favourite Gers/Harris song and one of my all-time best of Maiden.

As regards The Book Of Souls, unlike others I'm not too keen on the first riff and the intro/outro is too simple for me as well. I prefer more melodies. Everything else is amazing, though, especially the bridge. I'm so glad that the guitar part of the bridge, which is buried in the mix below the vocals, gets its spotlight at 5:21.

I'm afraid, in my opinion Dance Of Death is one of the most overrated Maiden songs. The quiet parts are merely okay and most of the rest, in particular the main riff and the orchestration, is completely getting on my nerves. It's actually my least favourite track on its parent album. Guess I have to add some posts to the unpopular opinions thread soon. ;)

Last edited:
Back