The Book Of Souls (song not album)

How good is The Book of Souls on a scale of 1-10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It just sounds so immense and grandiose and majestic, without being pompous or owerblown

If I heard this 28 years ago (instead of Powerslave), I'd be equally hooked and sucked into their world

The bastard child of Fear of the Dark and X Factor, if you can imagine such a hideous creature, followed by the riff from, you'll never guess, Losfer Words!
Actually, it's not too bad, just instantly forgettable. 4/10.

One thing that leaves me in doubtfor this song live is that there is no breathing space between bridges and choruses.

Actually, it's not too bad, just instantly forgettable. 4/10.

man...
Natrol-Memory-Complex-Pills-Pack-of-3-60-count-Bottles-P11930054.jpg

This song is such fun to play on guitar... Especially the first riff (!!!) and the melodic lead during the pre-chorus. I think it starts surpassing IESF for me... They are both so gooooood.

This song is such fun to play on guitar... Especially the first riff (!!!) and the melodic lead during the pre-chorus. I think it starts surpassing IESF for me... They are both so gooooood.

Completely agree, love jamming along to this track, even more so when I've spent some time working out the solo's

Also, that first riff is very original for Maiden and fits the album's imagery very well. At some point I thought it's like Mother Russia, but after relistening to that one I think the similarity is not too big. I'll stick to my props for originality ;)

I dig the acoustic intro quite a bit. I was listening to this intro with my - new - girlfriend. Album playing in the background. The songs starts she goes like " This intro is as spooky as the first song's outro". And this is the thing with this album. I think their intros are quite fitting after a very long time of having them used just to delay the song's beginning.

I dig the acoustic intro quite a bit. I was listening to this intro with my - new - girlfriend. Album playing in the background. The songs starts she goes like " This intro is as spooky as the first song's outro". And this is the thing with this album. I think their intros are quite fitting after a very long time of having them used just to delay the song's beginning.
i couldn't agree more, this is the first album in a long time that doesn't suffer from the "too long intro" syndrome

TBOS has some of the strongest Maiden melodies in a very long time.
Yeah, it just occurred to me how many great melodies there are especially compared to The Final Frontier. Or maybe I forgot them, but still it says something about the album :D (I don't hate TFF, though, not at all!)

EDIT: Oh, if you were talking only about the title track, then still they are exceptional even compared to a wider variety of recent material.

Yep,talking about the song.But the album's got some great melodies AND RIFFS all over the place.

Masterpiece since the first listen and still growing even more... Sorry for repeating myself, but it's so good :p I'm curious if the intro is going to be taped live. I think it's possible, because it's very short and not worth bringing out an acoustic guitar, in my opinion.

I didn't like it while I was listening to leak version. Now it's growing on me. Maybe not musicaly, it is not MIND BLOWING, it's simply amazing. But lyrics… oh man, the lyrics and the story behind them. That's the reason I love this band. Not how heavy they are but how good they are with lyrics.

Masterpiece since the first listen and still growing even more... Sorry for repeating myself, but it's so good :p I'm curious if the intro is going to be taped live. I think it's possible, because it's very short and not worth bringing out an acoustic guitar, in my opinion.

Too short to make a tape worthwhile, unless they come up with an extended tape intro like they had for Dance Of Death or Paschendale.

Bringing an acoustic on a stand onstage is no big deal, I see no reason they'd skip that just because it's only a short bit. So is the Moonchild intro, after all.

I don't know what system you guys use but only after applying filters and headphones I got a decent Metal sound of the production. I mean everything is clear and everything but the aggression of the sound is like a pop album. As I said before it might be my system. However when mixing the TBOS songs with e.g. Brice solo, the sound comes out as really thin.

I still think it might be taped. It's the first acoustic situation like that, if I'm not mistaken. The Talisman, The Legacy, Dance of Death were all important to play live, because they were longer and featured vocals. And there were some short taped intros too... But I have to say: good point with Moonchild, especially because as an encore song it was perfect for taped intro. Maybe they did that this way, because Bruce introduced the band before that (as far as I remember). We'll see, both scenarios are possible.

Like a Latin American Dance of Death?
This was what I was expecting before I heard the song, considering the title, the theme and the fact Janice co-wrote it. So after listening to it first few times I was kinda disappointed by it, but now... Yesterday I was outside for about 90 minutes altogether and I think I played this song about 9 times :D In my mind, the first part is the spiritual sequel to Mother Russia. Awesome riffs, drumming reminiscent of that song and mindblowing chorus that admittedly takes a while to click. The transition reminds me a lot of the one in Talisman between acoustic and heavy part. Don't care about Losfer Words reminiscence, never liked that song anyway. First solo in this song might be the best one of the album. Anyway, the whole song is fucking epic and I hope they'll play it live. I'll be really pissed if they skip it for freaking The Red & The Black.

Back