1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Beckett Connection

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by fisherenterprises, Mar 9, 2010.

1. srfc

srfc Nomad

I doubt them leaving Hallowed off the set has anything to do with this, and the timing is a coincidence.

What would leaving it off the set achieve? They've already played it probably over a thousand times, and it's on various albums and was released as a single, it's too late to try and hide the fact that there's lyrics in it.

Plus they're re-releasing LPs with Hallowed on it in a few weeks!

Also, Bruce has complained about hallowed being played too fast live many times, in terms of trying to sing the words, so I would take it at face value that that is the reason they dropped it those two times.

A funny point can be drawn about how steve puts too many words to a vocal melody from this case though, the words are two verses of the beckett song but only two lines of hallowed!

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2017
  2. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

As this is going to High Court and there would be a need to estimate the amount of money that the band might have made from the song, the band not playing it on the tour would automatically mean this money to be less than if it had been played on a really successful final leg. They might have been instructed not to play the song for that particular reason. I could obviously be wrong though.

On a related note, we spent some time trying to decipher the blurred text on Bruce's setlist during rehearsals over at the Maiden FC. There is one song between Book of Souls and Fear of the Dark and it seems the final letters on the title are ED, suggesting that Hallowed Be Thy Name was rehearsed.

[​IMG]

3. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

I'm inclined to think Hallowed isn't being played because of Bruce's voice, but it has to be said, if you made an absolutely last minute change and had to play something not really rehearsed, Wrathchild would fit that bill.

4. GhostofCain

Apologies, I forgot to include the spoiler tag.

5. imthesun

imthesun Prowler

Just to give some context to this Hallowed Be Thy Name discussion. So is also the "starting melody" been taken from Van Der Graaf Generator's A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers

Check 1:08s to hear it played more prominently.

But I guess all this isn't very new information to progheads out here.

6. GhostofCain

Funnily enough, it is not mentioned enough how much of an influence Peter Hammill had on Bruce's vocals.

7. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

That's where Bruce got the "I prophesy disaster..." which he said during the intro to The Clairvoyant in 2003.

8. GhostofCain

Exactly.

On a related note, Bruce himself recommended me some Van der Graaf Generator albums once on his 6 Music Radio Show (he was reading an e-mail I sent him that included that question). :lol:

9. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

10. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

I'm aware that they've talked about VTGG, but...
    ...guys, you're exaggerating now IMO.

bornless1 and harrisdevot like this.
  11. GhostofCain

12. Seventh_One

Seventh_One Slave to the Power of Death

13. GhostofCain

Basically they are reporting a piece on the Daily Telegraph in which it is basically stated that the legal dispute is why the song was dropped:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...iron-maiden-shelve-fans-favourite-song-legal/

Mr McKay, from Hampstead, north London, said: "There was no need for Iron Maiden to withdraw the song from their set. But if they wish to do the right thing, they are welcome to contact either myself or my lawyers and reach a simple agreement to perform “Hallowed Be Thy Name”.

"I have never wanted to stop fans hearing their favourite Maiden song."

After being made aware of the legal claim Iron Maiden took the decision to drop the song from their set - including at tonight’s concert at the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle - until the dispute was resolved.

In a statement the band, which has recorded more than a dozen albums since it was formed in 1975, said: “As previously announced for the current second leg of the Book of Souls tour a couple of changes to the set list were due to be made. The first was including a different track from the new album and having been made aware of a legal claim, the second change was to replace Hallowed Be Thy Name.”

14. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

I don't really understand this aspect of it to be honest. Why would Maiden have to pay anyone to "perform" Hallowed? You don't have to pay anyone to even perform covers live, so I fail to see how this could possibly be any different in this case. They could go out there & play the Beckett song; the copyright holder, as far as I'm aware, is not in a position to stop this.

15. Welsh Phantom

Welsh Phantom Educated Fool

I would not be surprised if the Beckett album gets a re-release after all this is settled .... probably more publicity than they got in the 70s! I do like the album though, there is some good stuff on there ;)

16. Welsh Phantom

Good point.

Any royalties owed would be due to the various recordings Maiden have released (including live versions and videos/dvds etc)

17. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Exactly. Maiden can play this live 'til they retire. I think this is just a gesture of goodwill on their part.

18. Welsh Phantom

Just realised perhaps the song in question needs to be in spoilers ;)

19. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

But this whole thread is about Beckett, Hallowed & The Nomad.

20. Welsh Phantom

Yeah, but for some, posts like Seventh_One's may constitute a spoiler during a tour ;)