The Beatles

untitled.jpg

I meant the link Shadow posted. :p I'll edit my post to make that less confusing.

Andy White, early Beatles drummer, dies aged 85
_86626527_white976_rex.jpg

Andy White, the Scottish studio session musician who played the drums on Love Me Do and other early tracks by The Beatles, has died in New Jersey.
According to his family, the 85-year-old died on Monday following a stroke. White was chosen ahead of Ringo Starr in September 1962 to play drums on the single version of Love Me Do and its B-side, P.S. I Love You. White, who was born in Glasgow in 1930, is also believed to have played on the album version of Please Please Me. He could therefore legitimately claim to be one of the so-called "Fifth Beatles", alongside the likes of Pete Best, Stuart Sutcliffe and others.
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34785987

Interviews:
http://www.newjerseyhills.com/the_progress/news/article_aefe1bdc-b090-5a96-98ba-2bf666918cfa.html
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entert...-percussionist-paid-fiver-for-playing-1388144
Beatle

The Rubber Soul Project (RSP for short) is a Serbian band. The band took their name from the famous Beatles record Rubber Soul released in 1965. They recorded their first album, called The Rubber Soul Project, in 1996. The band recorded an imaginary Beatles album, by writing music and lyrics to songs for which they had heard only the titles. Some of the tracks were available on bootlegs which, at the time, were not to be found in Serbia, so the members, having read about the songs, decided to record their own songs inspired by the titles. Their second album, The Rubber Soul Project 2, also inspired by the music and never-before-heard song titles of The Beatles, was released in March 2015.

George Martin was a HUGE part of the Beatles. In many ways, he was the REAL "fifth" Beatle, as the studio magic achieved on albums from Rubber Soul onward was the result of his production and musical collaboration.

I read an interview with Martin once - can't remember where exactly - where he said that one of the most important skills for a producer was the ability to make the artist believe that something was their idea all along. ;)

I always thought the most important thing to be learned from the Anthology sets is that there never was any great unreleased Beatles material. There are some neat bits here and there - I'm glad it was released - but I don't three double-disc sets were justified at all (the second volume in particular has some really desperate stuff - "Within You Without You" without vocals, anyone?).

23/365
Rubber_Soul.jpg

Rubber Soul - The Beatles

Drive My Car – I’m going to be upfront, I don’t like the Beatles. They have some great songs but they aren’t anywhere near what I’d call an amazing band. A nice enjoyable riff opens up this song, with some classic Beatles harmonies and a nice piano sound behind them. Enjoyable but definitely on the pop side – 7/10

Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) – The intro to this song shows more promise and the vocals remind me a little of Tangerine by Zeppelin. I like the full acoustic feel to it. Vocals are really good on this one. – 9/10

You Won’t See Me – A harder opening kicks off this track before mellowing out again, harmonies in the background better than song #1 but doesn’t come close to the 2nd track. – 7.5/10

Nowhere man – I like this song, it is the only one on the album I have heard prior to this listen, overall a nice solid song that clicks for me. – 9/10

Think For Yourself – Another heavier intro into harmonies and into a lighter song, the message behind the song is a decent one. The overall simplicity of these songs while still sounding different from each other is quite impressive. – 8/10

The Word – Another harmony filled track. Not much substance but it isn’t hard on the ears – 6/10

Michelle – Another nice heartfelt ballad. I get where GNR got My Michelle from or at least it is a nice coincidence. Not as good as Norwegian Wood but overall a decent song. – 8/10

What Goes On – Upbeat, the instrumentation reminds me of the music in the background of black and white Disney shows. Music sounds so upbeat but the lyrics contrast this. – 7/10

Girl – Another ballad of sorts. I’m not hooked by this one. - 6.5/10

I’m looking Through You - Midpaced, harmonies and has a nice beat to it. Not a great song but better than the last - 7/10

In My life - The piano comes back for this song. A much better ballad than Girl but not on the same level as Michelle. Sentimental short and sweet - 7.5/10

Wait - Faster than the last few songs, harmony filled as per usual. Heavy emphasis on the tamberine, which is a nice touch to the song. - 7.5/10

If I needed Someone - George Harrison takes on the vocals for this track, I quite enjoy his vocals over the other 3 Beatles. Comments from most of the previous songs applies to this track. Overall a decent song. - 8/10

Run for your life - The album closes out with an upbeat and faster paced song, I actually like this one a fair bit, the different parts click fairly well. - 8.5/10

Overall Score 76%

Well, I love The Beatles, I’ve most of their stuff laying around. As many others, I prefer their later music, but they certainly were one of the best bands around 1963-1965 as well.

The white album is probably my favorite album ever for some odd reason, and Hello goodbye is one of the best songs everI think. I really like Paul, John and George, especially Paul. He’s so musically talented, and he can sing everything. Ringo is a cool and funny dude, but man he has never been a good singer and songwriter, and a average drummer.

Been listening to The Beatles a lot lately. They were my first musical love and without them I genuinely would never have gotten to where I am today. I have the stereo box (along with The Red and Blue Albums and Anthologies 2&3, but I can’t seem to find them) so I went through their discography in full for the first time in like 6 years. As much as the songs don’t always hit the same way as they used it, I have a newfound appreciation for a lot of them and the band as a whole. Truly innovators who often didn’t take themselves too seriously, crafting hooks and harmonies prodigiously. Such a great band.

Back