The (Archeological) Discoveries Topic

I'm afraid I lack enough understanding of the English language, so I wonder what you mean with "recorder" in this context? What does it record?
Also please elaborate on the instrument, this sounds interesting. :)

Ah! I know that instrument, just forgot about it now. For some reason I didn't think about music, right here in this topic. :/

663454.jpg

Frankish coin of Theodebert

A big treasure find in Drenthe province (in the Netherlands) indicates that in the sixth century, Drenthe was far more important than previously thought. It is a treasure of 47 gold coins, the largest find of this period ever in the Netherlands.
drenthe.GIF

The treasure was found by two men with a metal detector. The province will not say where it was, fearing that more investigators would come. The finding was presented this afternoon by provincial executive member Rein Munniksma.

The coins have been made in several places throughout Europe, including Rome, Ravenna and Constantinople, now Istanbul. Together they weigh about 200 grams.

Important political factor
That there was such a huge amount of money in circulation, according to an archaeologist involved means that Drenthe was an important political factor. Most of the coins are Byzantine. The treasure also includes a very rare one, of Merovingian king Theodebert.

The money may have been a diplomatic payment, probably a pay-off to keep the Drenthe people away from the boundaries of the Merovingian kingdom. That kingdom then was from the South of France to the major rivers in the [central] Netherlands.

Unique discovery
About the sixth century in the Netherlands little is known. There are few archaeological finds from this period, especially in Drenthe. As of June 20 the find will be on display for the public in the Drents Museum.

The world's oldest "Yo mama" joke is 3,500 years old

Around 1,500 BCE, a student in ancient Babylon inscribed six riddles on a tablet. 3,500 years later, these proto-jokes lose a lot in the translation, but one thing's for sure: the Babylonians are saying something about your mother.

Just try to ignore the fact that the article is illustrated with a Sasanian investiture relief from Fars, which is about as appropriate as using a picture of the Mona Lisa for an item on ancient Greece. :p

Erps. It's not in Fars. That's the investiture relief of Ardashir II., which is at Taq-e Bostan in the Kurdish speaking Kermanshah province. Now this is awkward. :oops:

Sasanian rock reliefs have always been out of my scope, and I really need to polish up on that, apparently.

Lots of cultural variation around the world, and not all of it well recorded. Weren't Marx and Engels mainly looking at the history of Western society, too?

:bigsmile:

By the way, I found the English in this article a bit... errr:
But in the land of the former Zakhaym archaeologists managed to find even more rare – male wards in two Axe of Perun.
Come again?

And I missed an explanation of what Perun means. ;)

Yeah, somebody seems to have used Google Translate there. :p

Perun is the highest god in the Slavic pantheon.

Cheers. My wife knew him by his Polish name: Pjorun (and until just now didn't make the connection with Perun!)

Another major God she remembers:

Svetovid

And these supernatural beings: Rusałka, Strzyga, Topielec, Wila.

And Darzamat from Latvian mythology.

Back