The Alchemist

How good is The Alchemist on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'The Alchemist' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted by the mods.

I'd like to start with some things Janick Gers and Steve Harris have said about this song. I've translated it from an interview in the latest Aardschok (Dutch rock & metal magazine).
Location: Toronto / date: probably 3 Juli 2010, the concert date, since the gig was reviewed by the interviewer.

Interviewer:
“One of the compact songs is “The Alchemist”. It is a bit different, because it could fit on an old album like The Number Of The Beast, style and sound wise. Funny thing is that it was written by Janick Gers, who came to the band many years later.”

Janick Gers:
“We were quite far in the album process when I noted that The Final Frontier missed a real rock-‘n’-roll song. A short and powerful song. That’s why I came with this. I think it gives the album the necessary variation.”

Steve Harris agrees:
“It is indeed old-school Iron Maiden. For me it’s a cross between “Be Quick Or Be Dead”, “Man On The Edge” and “Montségur”. First I had my doubts,. Wasn’t it too different? I got myself over that. Because The Final Frontier isn’t a concept album.”

A cool short rocker, just what the album needs! I like it a lot! Parts remind me of Bruce's Silver Wings, and other parts of I Live My Way (B-side from TXF).

Now that the lyrics are starting to come together, I am getting fucking chills every time I hear this song. Not because it is particularly superb (though it is good)…but because my buddy Matt put on a Call of Cthulhu game that featured the twisted machinations of the alchemist John Dee.  Eeeeek.

This may sound weird, but for some strange reason, The Alchemist reminds me of Bryan Adams' Only the Strong Survive.  :blink:

definitely an awesome little song here.  Reminds of be quick  or be dead, which is good.  It is better though. Deep lyrics.  Wish I had them in front of me.  Dark rocker I give it a 4.5/5.

God bless Janick Gers......seriously. I could hug the man.

BTW....as I said, I  can't post the lyrics, as I promised I wouldn't....but like the other 3 songs I have helped with so far, if someone wants to take a stab at it, I would be happy to fill in gaps and make corrections. :)

Khan said:
God bless Janick Gers......seriously. I could hug the man.

BTW....as I said, I  can't post the lyrics, as I promised I wouldn't....but like the other 3 songs I have helped with so far, if someone wants to take a stab at it, I would be happy to fill in gaps and make corrections. :)

I'm working on the lyrics right now and I'll post them when I'm done.

It's definitely not my favourite song on the album, but it needs a track like this. It's good, but nothing more.

not digging it still :(  oh well, im a slow learner (when it comes to this album).. Loving IOA, TMWWBK, TT, WTWWB, STARBLIND, MOM, TFF - Im very happy overall :rocker: :edmetal:

Thanks to Khan for fixing them up.

Stranger than the comet as it streaks across the sky
Stranger than the truth I know before my open eyes
I have dealt in mysteries and trickery, of light to entertain
Looked into the abyss, called it by its name

I have plundered time itself, put the world inside it
I'm the mysteries, day and night, divide it
A plague of wonders, on your knees beside me
Know the secrets, you shall not deride us

My dreams of empire from my frozen queen
Will come to pass
Know me, the Magus
I am Dr. Dee
And this is my house

I am the master of the tides
I shame the mirror in my sight
What random music of the spheres
Across the years

Know this
I will return to this land
Rebuild where the ruins did stand
Chain up the demons set free
Strange alchemy

Gather round the aimless and the feckless and the lame
Hear the master summon up the spirits by their names
I curse you Edward Kelly your betrayal for eternity is damned
Know you speak with demons, you cannot command

Even as I looked into the glass then I was blinded
Burning by the Mortlake shore my house my books inside it
You have taken up my wife and lain beside her
Now the black rain on my house, the timbers burning

My dreams of empire from my frozen queen
Will come to pass
Know me, the Magus
I am Dr. Dee
And this was my house

I was the keeper of the books
I had the knowledge of the scrolls
But now through ignorance and fear
I cast a shadow through the years

Know this
Strange alchemy

Know this
Strange alchemy

Know this
Restore the knowledge memory
Strange alchemy

Ah yes....destined to likely be written off by those who never really got The Mercenary or The Pilgrim. Maiden should never forget about their roots of fast uptempo rockers...and this is a great one. Again...very odd and hard to get used to phrasing on the vocals. It's a song of few brief hooks...but they DO bring it through. I love a good straight forward Maiden rocker....and it reminds me in a couple places of Silver Wings from Bruce...just a little though. Surprising, because it's a Janick song. Know this...I will return to this land....rebuild where the ruins did stand. Brilliant lyrics!

I'll try to help fill in the lyrics tonight, as I get time.

Back