? > than Macedonia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is stupid, then please tell me what the aim of your original point was.

I already said I was just killing time while drinking coffee . Cause there isn't a conspiracy behind everything.

Is there a different internationally accepted name for FYROM that I am not aware of?

Yes - Republic of Macedonia, currently recognised and used, consistently or not, by 133 countries worldwide.

Yes - Republic of Macedonia, currently recognised and used, consistently or not, by 133 countries worldwide.

"In 1993, following a recommendation from the Security Council, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia was accepted, by decision of the General Assembly, into the United Nations under this provisional name, until such time as an agreed solution is reached."

And lets talk Maiden from now on ok?

I already said I was just killing time while drinking coffee . Cause there isn't a conspiracy behind everything.

I'm not implying a conspiracy.

You know what, maybe I owe you an explanation about why this and similar issues raise a red flag with me.
Part of my job is to teach history in a public museum. I get visitors from everywhere, including citizens from my city of various ethnicity - including both Greeks and FYROMians. So whenever I have visitors from one of those backgrounds, and I mention Alexander the Great, they will always get a glare in their eyes and want me to say he was from their country. And I never say what they want to hear, because I say "ancient Macedon", and they will always say "I'm from that country!" no matter whether they originally come from Athens, Rhodes or Skopje. Alexander was not a national of the Elleniki Dimokratia and he was not a national of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. And I also find it ridiculous to fight over the name of a country when nobody north of Skopje or east of Edirne gives a shit.
This is not an issue exclusively related to this topic - I've had these things with countless other nationals such as Iranians, Pakistanis Uzbeks and Iraqis - but it's all the same bullshit to me. So yeah, I'm calling it out when I see it here. Sorry.

Reactions: FTB
This topic is only current because of you, Gk1. You don't get to say when we close it now.

"The United States recognized FRYM in 1994 under the provisional designation and began referring to Macedonia by its constitutional name, Republic of Macedonia, in 2004."
https://history.state.gov/countries/macedonia

Just one, absolutely neutral (e.g. non-Balkan state) example. I won't search the Foreign Affairs Offices of all other 132 countries because it will be pointless.

If we may expect from you that you should be culturally aware, perhaps it's fair to mention that there are people from Bulgaria, Turkey and that former Yugoslavian republic talking to you. If we'd have an Albanian here, the party would be complete. :)

Just to let you know, this sounds like we have someone from FYROM here. I know you meant NP and that he's from Serbia, but your wording implies he would be from the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, which he isn't.

I honestly don't know much about the whole dispute hence why I'm not getting involved, but since Serbia calls it Macedonia, I call it Macedonia too. And anyway, the main point of the argument (from my POV) is that this thread had absolutely nothing to do with Macedonia and was 9 months old.

So which is it, Foro? People's Front of Iudaea or Iudaean People's Front?

At least now the thread is funny.

There is no valid agreement after 1995 and FYROM is using a different name that is not formerly accepted by the UN. This is what I was trying to point out.

I'm not implying a conspiracy.

You know what, maybe I owe you an explanation about why this and similar issues raise a red flag with me.
Part of my job is to teach history in a public museum. I get visitors from everywhere, including citizens from my city of various ethnicity - including both Greeks and FYROMians. So whenever I have visitors from one of those backgrounds, and I mention Alexander the Great, they will always get a glare in their eyes and want me to say he was from their country. And I never say what they want to hear, because I say "ancient Macedon", and they will always say "I'm from that country!" no matter whether they originally come from Athens, Rhodes or Skopje. Alexander was not a national of the Elleniki Dimokratia and he was not a national of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. And I also find it ridiculous to fight over the name of a country when nobody north of Skopje or east of Edirne gives a shit.
This is not an issue exclusively related to this topic - I've had these things with countless other nationals such as Iranians, Pakistanis Uzbeks and Iraqis - but it's all the same bullshit to me. So yeah, I'm calling it out when I see it here. Sorry.

Fair enough but I don't think we need to get to the use of strong language, especially in a Maiden forum (or is it fyrom?)

What the Hell! I just logged in to check for any news and now we are doing this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back