Tell me why I shouldn't like (your favorite musician here)

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
Here's how this one works: I post the name of a well-respected musician.

Someone answers with a good reason I shouldn't like them. Then names the next musician.

Let's start with... Matt Barlow.

Although he has great vocal talent, his delivery sounds a bit too theatrical. He also feels like he's stuck between an operatic style and a raspier style, kinda like how I see Iced Earth as being. Stuck between Iron Maiden and Metallica, two bands that I absolutely love, but doesn't have the pizzazz of either one. He doesn't have the authenticity that I look for in a singer. Doesn't have that "It Factor" that is going to seperate him from singers of similar vocal capabilities.

Mikael Akerfeldt.

Takes decisions for his band that are clearly not ideal in most peoples' minds - for example by choosing a replacement singer and forcing him to sing existing material even though it was well out of said singer's vocal range.

Justin Hawkins.

No matter how much he seems like he is truly a lover of rock and roll pomp, he still comes off like a parody or mockery of rock and roll.

Geddy Lee

His vocal style is often unintentionally hilarious, especially in combination with the earnestness of the lyrics.

Freddie Mercury.

All I could think of was dentistry, but it's probable that his teeth contributed to the shape of his voice. I've heard at least one person say that he sounded worse after he got his teeth fixed.

Bring the sacrilege ... Adrian Smith.

While versatile and competent, will never be a guitarist household name, because he lacks features that noteworthy sets him apart from other rock/metal guitarists. He will always "just" be one of the guitarists in Iron Maiden.

RJD.

screw_you_guys__i_m_going_home__by_drizz67-d8c2ycc.jpg

Despite having multiple opportunities to do so in bands like Black Sabbath and Rainbow, RJD never became a major household name in the same vein as someone like Ozzy Osbourne or Freddie Mercury. Even his work in Dio, which was designed to highlight his proficiency as a singer didn't exactly make him as famous as he should have been.

(best I could do, I love RJD)

Jimi Hendrix.

Cowards.

Freddie: He is my favourite singer, bar none. But I'm not very big on his solo stuff. His 1985 solo album, Mr Bad Guy, is musically a tour de force through the worst trends of 80's pop. What little saving grace there was on that album was picked up by Queen and used for Made in Heaven. Given that this was an album that Freddie had complete creative control over, you could argue that this was his genuine musical vision. Barcelona is better, but it has some very cheesy moments that are not particularly memorable. Also, he died too early.

Jimi is a pioneer in his own right and changed guitar playing forever. He even got the Jazz world to start taking rock seriously. But context aside, his music isn't really anything special and his playing has been surpassed by many since then. It doesn't have that timeless quality many other greats have.

Rob Halford

Didn't utilize his smooth voice well enough after the 70s. He was still one of the premier heavy metal singers, but I thought we could've had more special moments if him and his band didn't shift their style to a more aggressive one in the 80s. He also was horrible live in the early 90s.

I'll go with one that isn't as difficult to criticise. James Hetfield.

Took Pink Floyd in a very bland direction after Roger Waters left. While some of the material is good, nothing even comes close to matching not just the big four Floyd albums, but also a lot of the lesser known ones such as Meddle and Atom Heart Mother.

Roger Waters

Usually sticks to his formula of "Now I'm quiet...NOW I'M LOUD" while not exactly doing it with any sort of variety.

Peter Gabriel

A bit too goofy sounding at times when it's not appropriate. Tends to overwrite as a lyricist at times.

Bruce Dickinson

Back