Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Damnation Game

• Iconoclast

• Underworld

• Total voters
The sound may suck, but at least the video is the highest quality of them I've seen in years. On a side note, Romeo hits a ton of bad notes during his leads, but it seems like the power of their music just drowns it out (or no one really cares because he's so awesome as it is).

The sound may suck, but at least the video is the highest quality of them I've seen in years. On a side note, Romeo hits a ton of bad notes during his leads, but it seems like the power of their music just drowns it out (or no one really cares because he's so awesome as it is).

Yeah, it's weird that the guy who composes, records, and produces every Symphony X song is probably the least practiced in the band.

Could someone explain to me why Dehumanized works so well on me? It must be because of that specific chord change in the title (under the "hue") and then the chorus riff, but could someone please put it into the musical theory talk for me? And why is it so surprising? Thanks to anyone patient enough. Maybe I'm just easily impressed. :D Is it just a diminished chord or is there something more?

C1r_1m_UkAE_8-z.jpg

Don't tell me you've never seen Star War the Third Gathers: Backstroke of the West :D

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/JustForFun/BackstrokeOfTheWest

"R2, do you is fucking"

"You are already at full cock now"

"I have the high ground" - "The geography that I stands compares you superior"

Could someone explain to me why Dehumanized works so well on me? It must be because of that specific chord change in the title (under the "hue") and then the chorus riff, but could someone please put it into the musical theory talk for me? And why is it so surprising? Thanks to anyone patient enough. Maybe I'm just easily impressed. :D Is it just a diminished chord or is there something more?

It's not a diminished chord but it's certainly an odd one. I hear an A, C#, E, and maybe even a G# in there (some of this is surely coming from the keyboards). It's a transitional chord.

Dehumanized is one of my favorites from Iconoclast. It successfully merges the band's groove-heavy side with their more progressive approach, and contains probably the best guitar solo on the album. Very smooth for Romeo.

I wouldn't be opposed to them replacing him with someone else as long as they returned to more melodic epic stuff instead of tuff-guy crap they've been putting out lately.

I'd only be okay with a replacement if it was Jorn Lande, but honestly, even then I don't know how I'd feel. Russell is SX's sound to me.

Jorn Lande, really? He's too hard rockish for me. I'd pick this guy:

He has a shitload of prog covers on his channel including a lot more Symphony X, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden etc. Plus he's in a few bands so he's not a complete amateur.

Actually get him into Dream Theater instead :p

In Russell's defense, I doubt it's his fault that it takes so long for SX to make new music.

Either way, it's disappointing.

Will Shaw has a great voice, but I feel he lacks the bottom end that gives Symphony X their sound.

In Russell's defense, I doubt it's his fault that it takes so long for SX to make new music.

This is true, and I definitely understand that Russ needs an income (the guys in Symphony X all have regular day jobs, to my knowledge). But is it sad to see him waste his time with third-rate bar bro rock? Absolutely. He is so much better than that.

Symphony X without Russell Allen would practically be a different band, whereas Adrenaline Mob could replace Russell with anyone and it wouldn't matter.

Also, Symphony X is not Tool; they don't have the popularity to wait so long between releases and keep their fans' interest level up. I get that Romeo is kind of a "whatever, man" kind of guy, but their apathy about online presence, connecting with their fans, and putting out new music really shows. They need to step up their game to be relevant in today's music scene.

Yep, though I think this Terrence Malick approach actually might work and even be beneficial in some cases, the whole band must be in on it. Unfortunately this forces Russell to put all his energy into a second rate band instead.

Some people on DTF say that his injuries being described as "serious" rather than "critical" at least means it's not life threatening. Hoping for the best.

As an aside, Russell Allen isn't actually 38 is he? That seems way too young and Wiki has him at 44. He would've been 16 at the time of Damnation Game. :p

Back