Sweep picking in Maiden solos

Dr. Eddies Wingman

Brighter than thousand_suns
I'm just curious. I know for sure Adrian uses that technique in his solo in Rime of the Ancient Mariner (the last part of it) and I think it sounds like it in his solo in Paschendale as well. (I think so because all the notes sounds like he hits the strings with very equal strength and tempo, like he's just moving the pick up and down across all strings at steady speed). But do anyone here know if he uses it in more of his solos (and whether the other two use it as well)?

I'm not yet at a level where I master sweep-picking myself, but if I want to learn Maiden solos and there in fact is a significant number of them which include sweep picking, I'd rather give it a try. I assume it's nice being able to sweep pick anyway ...

It's damn cool to be able to sweep pick.

And yes, Adrian uses it a fair number of times (especially in his post-reunion solos), so it is a good technique to learn for Maiden and in general.

His new
Powerslave
solo also has sweep picking.

Adrian uses sweep-picking, Janick alot (it would be better if he don't, he's too sloppy), Dave rarely.

Only The Good Die Young has sweeping part, then you have Wicker Man, Mercenary and Nomad, Paschendale, No More Lies (sweep arpeggio)...Lord Of Light, These Colours Don't Run...

He also used the technique alot with Dickinson's band. There's some sweeping arpeggios in Road To Hell, sweep picking on Darkside Of Aquarious, etc...

Adrian uses a lot of techniques in his playing, but doesn't overdo any, he combines them in a great way and there's always a melody going through regardless of the technique used. That's why people like his playing, has a great taste when to use something.

Zare said:
Adrian uses sweep-picking, Janick alot (it would be better if he don't, he's too sloppy), Dave rarely.

Only The Good Die Young has sweeping part, then you have Wicker Man, Mercenary and Nomad, Paschendale, No More Lies (sweep arpeggio)...Lord Of Light, These Colours Don't Run...

He also used the technique alot with Dickinson's band. There's some sweeping arpeggios in Road To Hell, sweep picking on Darkside Of Aquarious, etc...

Adrian uses a lot of techniques in his playing, but doesn't overdo any, he combines them in a great way and there's always a melody going through regardless of the technique used. That's why people like his playing, has a great taste when to use something.

Janick and Dave don't sweep pick, and for a lot of the songs you mention there it's just Adrian shredding.

But you're right about how Adrian's dabbling in all sorts of techniques without overdoing it is what makes him an awesome guitarist.

I saw tabs for Fear of the Dark the other day, and the ending of dave's solo looked a hell of a lot like sweeping.
I don't know how accurate These tabs are, but it looked like sweep.

You can here a little sweep by Dave on 'The Prophecy' (2'37) !

And you're right about his solo on 'Fear of the Dark', but he didn't play this sweep anymore in live.

Back