1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sun and Steel

Discussion in 'Piece Of Mind' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is Sun and Steel on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

4.8%
  2. 9

2.4%
  3. 8

14.3%
  4. 7

31.0%
  5. 6

26.2%
  6. 5

11.9%
  7. 4

7.1%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

2.4%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pand

Pand Ancient Mariner

A fun, catchy chorus. Nothing special, but something very good. Overall...

7/10

2. Nick2632

Nick2632 Nomad

6/10. My least favorite song on Piece Of Mind. I'm actually pretty surprised they actually allowed this song on the album lol. That being said, it's not a bad song or anything, just super cheesy backup vocals on the chorus. The song may have been pretty good without the backup vocals on the chorus since it has some very good guitar and the vocals themselves are superb.

3. SinisterMinisterX

SinisterMinisterX Illuminatus Staff Member

7/10, lowest on this album for me. I'm not inflating my ratings; Piece of Mind is that strong from cover to cover. Listening to this song now, I think Bruce's vocal here presages his "raspy" 90s. It's why this song falls short for me.

4. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

7/10. Very underrated, a funny little song which livens up the second half of the album (among the brooding Still Life and Tame and the weird Quest) and actually make Piece easier to digest. Always loved the chorus, nothing changed.

5. DJMayes

DJMayes Educated Fool

6. Nothing wrong with it but still one of the weakest on the album.

6. Sth2112

Sth2112 Nomad

A filler track that have a chorus that belongs in Eurovision Grand Prix. 5/10

7. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

5/10

Sun and Steel is fun, but simply too cheery. By the time Bruce shouts, “rollin’ on and on,” however, I’m on board and fist pumping to the absurdity. The chorus is far too chirpy, but the earnest delivery sells it. Not great, but listenable. It’s worth noting that this is the first Maiden song about sword-fighting, a field where Bruce Dickinson also excels: he’s a world-class fencer.

8. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Love this song. I consider it the under appreciated cousin to FOI. It's mind boggling that this isn't a classic like the others. It has the gallop, it has a great Bruce performance, an awesome chorus. It's all there. Cool lyrical content too. I also love how the song resets itself during the solo. They're mixing up the instrumental sections a bit to keep it from getting repetitive.

JudasMyGuide likes this.
  9. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Not sure why people are upset by the brightness of the song. Not everything has to be dark and powerful! It's good fun and I like the catchy chorus. But admittedly it's pretty limited otherwise.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  10. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

Love the bass playing on this song and the verses. Again the chorus might be a bit to cheery, but anyways it's a good track.

7/10

11. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

Love this song, one of my favorites on the album. It's short but sweet, literally. That chorus is one of the best in their discography. Vastly underrated and far from one of their worst 'classic era' songs. 9/10