1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steven Wilson n00bvivor: The Incident - Round 1

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Mosh, Aug 27, 2016.

?

vote for your LEAST favorite songs

1. The Incident

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Flicker

20.0%
  3. Bonnie the Cat

80.0%
  4. Black Dahlia

80.0%
  5. Remember Me Lover

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

This album is a huge sidestep in the wrong direction for me. My first listen I literally stopped paying attention because I was so disinterested. Upon a second listen, a couple songs jumped out as being alright (the first and the last), but everything else contains all of the qualities I dislike about Steven Wilson's songwriting.

Voting for all three Jordan Rudess whale-scape songs.

2. Lampwick 43

Lampwick 43 Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

It's gonna be a few more days, but I promise I will get to this. :)

Mosh likes this.
  3. Lampwick 43

This is definitely a big departure from peak Porcupine Tree. Most of the songs blend together to me and nothing really stands out or seems to be all that memorable.

3 votes just isn't enough here, but I ended up voting for Abandoner, Veneno, and Get All You Deserve.

4. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Eliminated
    Veneno para las Hadas
    Get All You Deserve

5. MrKnickerbocker

Abandoner + Twilight x2

6. Lampwick 43

The first song is pretty decent, but everything else is just bleh.

I'm also voting for Abandoner and the Twilights.

7. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

Oh man, this is torture. Abandoner and the Twilights are probably the worst, but this whole album is just Alice down the Arsehole. I just now put on the bonus disc and the very first song is even worse, if you could believe that.

8. Mosh

I don't mind the album and Abandoner is easily my favorite song. :mad:

9. Mosh

Eliminated
    Abandoner
    No Twilight Within the Court of the Sun
    Twilight Coda

10. MrKnickerbocker

Significant Other + Only Child

11. Lampwick 43

Salvaging & Only Child

12. Mosh

Promoted
    Harmony Korine
    Significant Other
    Insurgentes

The Incident
    The final Porcupine Tree album. Steven Wilson came up with the idea for The Incident while in a traffic jam and seeing a sign reading “POLICE - INCIDENT”. Wilson decided to write about various incidents reported on the news, but with an emphasis on the human element that he found was often missing in media coverage. When Wilson presented the piece to the band, it was a 35 minute “song cycle” that featured short interconnected sections. However, as the band began developing the sections, the piece suddenly grew to nearly an hour in length. There were also other songs the band were working on. It became apparent that Porcupine Tree would be producing their first double album.

The first disc is entirely occupied by the title suite: The Incident. Weighing in at a whopping 55 minutes and 14 individual parts, it is a textbook Prog Rock epic. Starting out as a song cycle, there are parts that stand as their own songs mixed with pieces that are clearly meant to tie the entire thing together. Within the song is a mini epic: the 11 minute Time Flies.

The second disc is lighter on the Prog Rock pomp. At only 4 songs and 20 minutes, it showcases the band’s more song oriented side. Flicker and Black Dahlia take the mellower route, while things get heavy with Remember Me Lover and Bonnie the Cat. These songs serve as a nice “cool down” after the dense first disc.

Previously, the bulk of the material on a Porcupine Tree album was credited to Steven Wilson. On The Incident, several songs are credited to the entire band. The Incident itself is credited to the band, although the individual parts have more specific credits. The majority of the parts are entirely credited to Wilson, but Octane Twisted and Circle of Manias is credited to Porcupine Tree. On the second disc, only the closing track, Remember Me Lover, is credited to Wilson. It says a lot about how far along the band had developed since its inception as an “imaginary band”. Not only had Porcupine Tree become a real band, but it was becoming a more collaborative effort with each album.

Which brings us to the end of the band. It’s no secret that Steven Wilson is something of a control freak. He tends to have a heavy amount of influence on whatever project he appears on and even his side projects seem to mostly represent his vision more than anything else. As Porcupine Tree became increasingly collaborative, Wilson was forced to compromise more often. Meanwhile, with Insurgentes, he was given a taste of what it was like to be in complete control of his projects. Porcupine Tree was also beginning to establish a signature sound that Wilson would have a hard time altering. After The Incident, Wilson began to enjoy more success with solo projects and his solo career quickly turned into his main focus. Wilson went from stating that the band were on hiatus to demoting them to the status of “side project” to finally claiming that the band no longer exists.

If I include The Incident as separate parts, it will drag out this game even more. Also in the past we’ve included suites like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence in survivors as single songs, so it makes sense to follow that tradition.

13. MrKnickerbocker

Alright, so just to be clear: tracks 1-14 are all "The Incident"?

14. Mosh

15. MrKnickerbocker

Alright, honestly: this is just silly.

The first disc of this album is ABSOLUTELY KILLER. Can't we just pass it along to the next round?

Nothing on Disc 2 is great, or even very good. It's not bad, but it's not worthy comparing it to the first disc in any way.

16. Shadow

Shadow Deluxe Edition Staff Member

This was the first album that came out while I was a fan. Saw the band for the first and only time on that tour and they played the entire suite. Good album, somewhat underrated by fans.

17. Mosh

It does seem to be the least popular of their "Golden Era" albums. I also hear more similarities to Stevie's solo work than the last few PT albums. It's much less heavy.

And yea the 2nd disc is mostly filler. Should've just been the first disc.

18. Lampwick 43

It can be kind of hard to judge a super long, multi-track piece of music such as The Incident as a single song. Much like 6DOIT, there are some great parts, and some parts that aren't so great and really wouldn't hold up on their own and out of context.

That said, as a whole the good far outweighs the bad. Time Flies is outstanding, and is enough by itself to make it worth listening to the entire 55 minutes. The Blind House is also really good.

Flicker is pretty solid from the second disc, but nothing there is all that memorable.