Steve Harris

That *is* significant. It suggests Maiden's tour will be over then, and also that they're not planning to be in the studio then.

I think BL will record before Maiden. And Maiden tend to prefer certain dates to begin an album. I mean, early september or early january.

It looks that way. There is time for BL to record before Maiden's 2016 tour, though. They've said a couple of times that they have enough material ready to go. Were there any new songs when you saw them?

No new songs, and I was a bit disappointed, as Steve has mentionned new tunes when promoting the tour. He was obviously refering to songs not released on the album. That said, they play six new songs while the have dropped one from the album (The Burning, Guineas and Crowns, Father Lucifer, Last Chance, Spitfire, Bible Black, Karma Killer being dropped).

Great interview with Steve in Kerrang. Some very interesting bits about how Bruce's disease has changed his own perspective and about a project he once had for Maiden (but that wouldn't make sense anymore).

Here is an excerpt : "It’s weird, though, really, because years ago I had an idea that you couldn’t really do now because of the internet and that. Back in the day, I thought maybe you could have released a Maiden album with all-new live material. That would have been possible, maybe. But now you couldn’t because obviously no matter where you go in a band you can’t get away with anything because people film it on their cameras on their phones."

And the link to the whole thing.

http://www.kerrang.com/46145/british-lion/

Yes, and I regret he didn't have the time to do that. That would have been great and coherent with what he has always said, that his main concern when recording new songs is to capture the band's live energy.

They could do a live stream. But that would have to be a one-off, because the second show would no longer be surprise. Anyway, it's a weird idea, I'm not sure if I like it. I think shows work better if you know the songs, because when you hear something for the first time in a live environment, you're often not able to grasp it properly (because of sound issues or maybe even your own excitement). As for a new album being live album (I mean new songs only), I guess it would be interesting to experience something like this, but I would definitely take a polished studio recording over it. They do so many live albums anyway, not to mention quality bootlegs...

I'm wondering at what point was he thinking about doing that. Basically for their whole career Maiden have been pretty formulaic when it comes to the way they did everything. I would never think they were eager to experiment with the studio-tour-studio-tour pattern.

That doesn't surprise me that much. He doesn't like being in the studio for too long. The only exceptions (mostly X factor) was when he thought he had something to prove. The way they record with Shirley, and most of all the way they recorded BoS is a kind of compromise between traditional studio approach and live stuff. He clearly wants to keep things exciting. I prefer the traditional way, but, as long as it kepps him making records, I'm fine.

In a recent interview in Dutch metal mag Aardschok, Steve said, in the light of Bruce's disease and people in the entourage of the band who got cancer and some of them died:
- - - - -

.. It put us with our nose on the facts. Everything is finite. Our time is scarce, so we can better make the best of it as wisely as we can. I asked myself an honest question: "What do I enjoy doing most while I'm still fit and healthy?" I didn't have to think a second: Play live! That's why I'm touring again. It sounds just a little too negative to talk about a race against time, but as long as I can, I want to give it all. What's the alternative, anyway? Sitting at home? That's nothing for me.

Concerning Harris's aforementioned idea of a live album with all new songs: I still like the idea, and Maiden would be the right band for it. My guess is they thought about it around AMOLAD.
Steve Vai did something similar with 'Alive In An Ultra World': His band and him played and recorded one new song in each city on that particular tour. The final album consisted of all these new songs. The album isn't great, but the idea is.
Fantastic idea indeed. And not very different to what Maiden did to record BoS.

Concerning Harris's aforementioned idea of a live album with all new songs: I still like the idea, and Maiden would be the right band for it. My guess is they thought about it around AMOLAD.
Steve Vai did something similar with 'Alive In An Ultra World': His band and him played and recorded one new song in each city on that particular tour. The final album consisted of all these new songs. The album isn't great, but the idea is.
Originally, this is also how R.E.M had intended to record Monster.

I still think it would've been cool if they played the 5 TFF songs on the Summer 2010 tour.

Does anybody know how long the British Lion set is and/or what time they normally take to the stage?

I'm going to the Folkestone gig on Friday but the last train back is at 11:00pm so I want to know if I can see the whole gig and make it home without leaving early.

If you're on Facebook have a look at their page and see what people are posting about times. BL have finished before 11 each time I've seen them on previous tours

They've been on stage exactly when it said on the ticket both times I've seen them. First time they played at like 8:30 p.m. They play for like an hour and twenty minutes. Someone filmed the concert in Edinburgh last year and the youtube vid clocks in at 1:22 for the full show.

Back