Starblind

How good is Starblind on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Thanks once again Khan!

ToAshesHisGrave said:
HOLY SHIT, THOSE LYRICS ARE AMAZING. I'm in awe right now.

As am I.  I was missing a few crucial lines but now it makes so much more sense.  This song totally sounds like something off of SSoaSS, both musically and lyrically.  It has a very mystical sound to it.  I like the line "Step into my light startripping, we will rage against the night."  Awesome.

Now LC, care to let us know what your theory is?  I'd love to hear it as I'm not particularly good at figuring out the deeper meaning of a song.

My theory has been dashed by the lyric revelation. I'll come back with a new one later.

I have a theory which is mostly based off this opening verse.

"Take my eyes the things I've seen in this world coming to an end
My reflection fades, I'm weary of these earthly bones and skin
You may pass through me and leave no trace, I have no mortal face
Solar winds are whispering, you may hear me call"

To me, this is the sun itself taunting humanity. The sun and other stars are "alive" in some sense and they have dominion over mere mortal beings that exist on planets like Earth. I think the song is meant as a warning to us that our time on this speck of dust (a term used in Coming Home) is short; the sun will begin its red giant phase roughly 5 billion years from now. The oceans will boil away and all life will be extinguished far sooner than that. What I don't understand are how some of the other verses tie into this story.

"We can shed our skins and swim into the darkened void beyond"

The sun has shed its "skin" (gaseous envelope) leaving behind a white dwarf.

And then in the chorus: "The stars are one"

A legion reference? Anyone here play Mass Effect? The reapers are legion; many individual giant AI robots, but they act as one somehow. Instead of robots we have stars all formed from the same singularity that has expanded. The connection between them being light I guess.

The rest of the song seems to be basically about organized religion being wrong and the stars knowing the truth. Perhaps another theory could be that this isn't the sun speaking, but some godlike alien being from outside of our universe. It's a bit too cryptic to figure out. Hopefully one of the band members will shed some light on this amazing song.

That seems plausible, I was trying to analyse the lyrics earlier but I just couldn't manage it, they sure as hell are complex.

Infinite Screams said:
I have a theory which is mostly based off this opening verse.

"Take my eyes the things I've seen in this world coming to an end
My reflection fades, I'm weary of these earthly bones and skin
You may pass through me and leave no trace, I have no mortal face
Solar winds are whispering, you may hear me call"

To me, this is the sun itself taunting humanity. The sun and other stars are "alive" in some sense and they have dominion over mere mortal beings that exist on planets like Earth. I think the song is meant as a warning to us that our time on this speck of dust (a term used in Coming Home) is short; the sun will begin its red giant phase roughly 5 billion years from now. The oceans will boil away and all life will be extinguished far sooner than that. What I don't understand are how some of the other verses tie into this story.

"We can shed our skins and swim into the darkened void beyond"

The sun has shed its "skin" (gaseous envelope) leaving behind a white dwarf.

And then in the chorus: "The stars are one"

A legion reference? Anyone here play Mass Effect? The reapers are legion; many individual giant AI robots, but they act as one somehow. Instead of robots we have stars all formed from the same singularity that has expanded. The connection between them being light I guess.

The rest of the song seems to be basically about organized religion being wrong and the stars knowing the truth. Perhaps another theory could be that this isn't the sun speaking, but some godlike alien being from outside of our universe. It's a bit too cryptic to figure out. Hopefully one of the band members will shed some light on this amazing song.

I think you're on top something here. What you said, made me think of the song a little different. So here's my thoughts on the song...

I have said several times that "The Final Frontier" has a double meaning IMO. For instance, the character in the song is out in space...but also facing his death...which can also be considered the final frontier.

With Starblind....I think it's also about a passing into another type of existance. As the character in the song sheds his earthly bones and skin he becomes something else...a spirit...existing on another plane maybe...a ghost...whatever. Notice the line about "you may pass through me"...and the song is clearly about being freed from this earth and able to travel through wherever he wants. On top of that, it speaks of some sort of final awareness of knowing the final truth about God. He sings that the preacher loses face with Christ. I think he refers to the fact that even within a single religion...Christianity as the example, there's a lot of different beliefs and even people who would preach to you in a way to make their own advantage...trying to separate you form your money...lying...etc etc. So as he passes over the plane of death, he sheds his physical being...he becomes aware of the truth about God...and is aware of all the preachers/religious figures that have lied or been wrong over the years (hence "the preacher loses face with Christ"), and goes off on a trippy journey into being able to do pretty much whatever he wants.

Ok.....so this is just my early morning though process, and I haven't heard the songs or read the lyrics in about 12 hours...so I reserve the right to change these thoughts later today, LOL!

Could it be about what happens to our spirits after we die. Do we become stars? Are stars the spirits of the dead?

Nicko does a drum fill at 6:50 which i think is his best ever. EPIC.

Nice work Infinite Screams, you've definitely raised some intriguing lyrical possibilities.

Reading through the lyrics myself, I came across this section:

'Let the elders to their parley
Meant to satisfy our lust
Leaving Damacles still hanging
Over all their promised trust'

I decided to look into Damacles and it turns out the 'Sword of Damacles' is a representation of the danger that being in a position of power entails (to those interested, the Wikipedia article covers it quite well).

That got me thinking. Are these lines a reference to the government?

If it was talking about the government, the 'parley' could be a political meeting. The 'lust' could perhaps be the needs of the people (citizens) - but needs that have become so warped by consumerism and greed that it's now 'lust' that drives us. The 'promised trust' could be the 'trustability' the political parties project - they want us to invest our trust in their ability to run the country. If so, it could be saying that the government can never really solve our unquenchable desires, and so once again have the sword of Damacles hovering over them - about to fall at any moment. The logical conclusion of this interpretation then, I feel, would be revolution or anarchy.

Maybe I'm looking into it too much. Does anyone sort of get what I'm saying?

I think that Infinite Screams is onto something, though. My theory doesn't really hold up outside of those lines... I'll work on it.

You know, having thought about it more, I assume the chorus is the most important part of the song. In the chorus Bruce sings, "Starblind with sun, the stars are one." The stars are one together with the religious (anti-religious?) overtones could be a reference to the "big crunch."

To be totally honest, I think the lyrics may be thrown together and have no deeper meaning. Bruce (or Adrian) might have thought they sounded cool and that's why he wrote them. It could've been a collaboration and that's why parts of the song don't seem to tie together.

The first time I heard this song, I didn't get it. But let me say, it's growing and growing, and might be my favourite on the album by the time it's done. In fact, if I'm right on the subject matter…it could qualify with Heaven and Hell in a certain "reason why LC loves this song" category.

LooseCannon said:
The first time I heard this song, I didn't get it. But let me say, it's growing and growing, and might be my favourite on the album by the time it's done. In fact, if I'm right on the subject matter…it could qualify with Heaven and Hell in a certain "reason why LC loves this song" category.

I'm with you. Secular jew o'er here.

I always thought the most surreptitious of these kinds of songs (subject matter anyway) was We Rock by Dio.

Ahahaha so true. It made me sad that I found out Dio was an atheist only after he died. It made a lot of stuff make a lot more sense, though.

just read in a Swedish metal magazine (close-up) in an interview with Bruce, he's talking about religion as something "not only negative" (while being carefull to mention he's being atheist himself) in the way that people need it to answer questions that are too big to ponder, so they can let go of too big and complex questions and actually do something instead. And that religions all over the world are falling back leaving an empty space of need behind. I get some feelings along the same wave of these lyrics. All religions being there for the same reason/god and leaving the humanity on it's own. hmm, I'm not sure I make sense right now :p

Back