Star Wars Cantina Band

I guess I should ask this. What exactly is Fallout? I haven't had the chance to play it and I've just heard that it is a great game.

Fallout is a series of games set in an alternate future in which the USA and China destroy each other in World War 3 with nuclear weapons. Usually the hero is emerging from an underground Vault and has to interact with the citizens of the ruined world for certain tasks. Fallout 1 is a classic of the RPG genre.

Zare said:
I'm playing Freelancer again, this game is immense. Anyone know any recent title with similar gameplay?
Freelancer! I want that game. I've played it, it's a great space trading game. Maybe I should seek for a copy.

LooseCannon said:
I really felt otherwise. I thought it did a great job bringing the world from Fallout/Fallout 2 to a bigger, more dynamic life. I didn't feel it was simple, either. SPECIAL is still there, and all the appropriate level alterations, perks, etc. I also tend to use VATS a lot in it, which retained a lot of the turn-based feel.
Maybe I should give the game another chance. Maybe it'll grow on me. There are some games I used to not really like much, but I love them now. Like Bioshock for example: All the time when I played it, I thought of it as dumbed down System Shock 2. Now I think it's a good game. Not a worthy for the title of spiritual successor of System Shock 2 but I like the game now.

I'm gonna play the Fallout games now. I'll give 3 another try after Tactics.

LooseCannon said:
I wasn't a big fan of Deus Ex, personally.
Reasons! Maybe you should give this title another chance too. Play it on realistic difficulty, and take a non-lethal approach, it's incredibly fun. Take your time to explore the areas. Try to complete all sidequests you find, you'll find lots of new cool things in the world like that. Like the mysterious base in Hell's Kitchen sewers for example.

Deus Ex didn't really grab me. The gameplay was fine, wasn't huge on the stories - but I didn't buy it either, so I never got to play it in depth. Checked it out to see if I wanted to invest. But I will probably give it another chance soon, next time it goes on sale on Steam.

The storyline starts out slow, yes. However, after the first few missions it starts to do some serious twists.

Here's a game I found from the depths of my game collection: http://i.imgur.com/o7qqY.jpg I think most of you recognize the title ;) It's a pretty awesome old-school FPS game. I don't even remember when I last played it. Currently installing it on my comp.

LooseCannon said:
Deus Ex didn't really grab me. The gameplay was fine, wasn't huge on the stories - but I didn't buy it either, so I never got to play it in depth. Checked it out to see if I wanted to invest. But I will probably give it another chance soon, next time it goes on sale on Steam.

What is Steam?

The only problem I have with Steam is that when you buy games with it, they're tied to Steam (Well, I've managed to get some games separate) and you have to use Steam to play them. Then, games that can be bought physically but require Steam. Fuck that. Prices are good, but I prefer physical copies to digital.

I don't. I've lost too many physical copies, loaned them out, etc. Digital copy is the way of the future, and I like being on the cutting edge. Plus, the prices can't be beaten.

It comes down to, in this day and age with DRM being through the roof, whether or not I trust Steam to provide me with digital content. I do, Valve is a great, pro-user company and always has been. I can play my Steam games offline no problem, so, that's fine. It's the games that have restrictive DRM that I despise and refuse to buy legally.

LooseCannon said:
I don't. I've lost too many physical copies, loaned them out, etc. Digital copy is the way of the future, and I like being on the cutting edge. Plus, the prices can't be beaten.

It comes down to, in this day and age with DRM being through the roof, whether or not I trust Steam to provide me with digital content. I do, Valve is a great, pro-user company and always has been. I can play my Steam games offline no problem, so, that's fine. It's the games that have restrictive DRM that I despise and refuse to buy legally.
I trust Valve and Steam. Another problem is also my computer, which can be rather slow at times, and when launching a game with Steam it can take forever, or 3 seconds. Prices can't be beaten? I've found games on the net for like one dollar + posting fees ('bout 2 dollars) or even free + posting fees.

My computer does not have slowness issues. But it shouldn't, as even now that it is 2.5 years old, it still runs new games at high settings.

I suppose that there is that to be said for the internet, but then again, when I want a game, I kinda want it now. The download times alone are rough, shipping is brutal. And in Canada, right now, shipping is impossible. Postal strike.

It comes down to I have a long history of losing or destroying my media, and I can't do that with Steam. So I'm pretty pleased with the services in general.

LooseCannon said:
My computer does not have slowness issues. But it shouldn't, as even now that it is 2.5 years old, it still runs new games at high settings.
Well, my computer is pretty old. Running a game released in 2001-now is quite a feat. I have another computer too, which I use to play newer stuff, but the older one is my main computer.

LooseCannon said:
when I want a game, I kinda want it now.
Warez the game while waiting.

Does the software police read this forum...?

I like Steam. It's very convenient, I don't need a desktop full of games when I can just open steam and have my menu there. And they have great prices and promotions. TF2 was $2 a few weeks ago and they always do huge price cuts on many games.

Does the software police read this forum...?

No, but encouraging pirating is kinda against the rules?

My Steam tag is VeritasTruthseeker in case anyone wants to add me.

LooseCannon said:
No, but encouraging pirating is kinda against the rules?
I was joking. I thought it was obvious. Really, I don't support piracy.

Back