1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed Of Light

Discussion in 'The Book of Souls' started by SinisterMinisterX, Aug 22, 2015.

?

How good is Speed of Light on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

6.3%
  2. 9

18.8%
  3. 8

27.1%
  4. 7

27.1%
  5. 6

14.6%
  6. 5

4.2%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.1%
  1. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Fun with phenomenal energy. Doesn't have quite the hook that something like the Alchemist did though.

2. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Black Bart likes this.
  3. soundwave

soundwave Educated Fool

I listened to this tune back-to-back with some SiT tracks, and other than the obvious production/tone differences, this would have fit quite well in that general time period. 9/10 for me.

4. Eddieson

Eddieson Nomad

Putting this in the same category as El Dorado, a really great rocker with cool ballsy riffs and catchy chorus, and just an overall very enjoyable song, while not being mind blowing in any way.
    Cleverly done as well, with very cleverly done key modulations between every part of the song, achieving that great feeling of tension and release, making every part feel unique and exciting (something El Dorado does very well as well).
    This song, as most of the songs on the album, should had been more polished, similar to for example Brave New World, multilayered Bruces' vocals on the chorus for example would had made it fatter and bigger.

But overall a great and memorable song, keeps the momentum going on the album, deserves an 8.

8/10

Black Bart likes this.
  5. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

9/10

Speed of Light increases the pace. It’s a killer Deep Purple-esque rocker penned by Smith and Dickinson about traveling, naturally, at the speed of light. Bruce unleashes a wail over some silly cowbell hits before we get into the rollicking main portion of the song. Speed of Light is a classic upbeat Maiden rocker that recalls their early years, especially songs like 2 Minutes to Midnight. We get our first taste of a traditional Dave Murray and Adrian Smith solo duel here and it’s a beautiful thing. Bruce’s final wail at the end is one of my favorite vocal moments he has ever recorded. It sounds like he’s calling on the soul of Ronnie James Dio as he bellows, “We slip into the night!” This one is destined to be a concert staple for years to come.

Black Bart likes this.
  6. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

Easy 9/10. It's a fun song, a great song, a classic song, one of the best out of Maiden's 21st century offerings. Might've worked better as the opener, but even as the second track it's great.

7. Lucas Lourenco

Lucas Lourenco Prowler

It's one of those songs made to be performed live, just like Death or Glory. It just sounds better live. And when it comes to songs resembling the early years, I prefer El Dorado, The Mercenary and even Death or Glory.

6/10

8. Dentura

Dentura Invader

A solid catchy single. Every time I play it, it grows on me and I enjoy it a little more. The chorus is very memorable and the song overall is probably the most "accessible" on the album. Great for live shows (I can confirm from seeing them play it last year). 8.25/10

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  9. Moonchild

Moonchild Educated Fool

Great song!
    10/10