South Park

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
  I moved out of my mother's house four months ago and i have to say it has been great, not only the fact that I have my own place but the incredible freedom that comes along with it. On top of that, I'm living the life of a cybernetic monk. I say that because I don't have a TV, radio or bed. I have one table and a couple of chairs along with some kitchen and bathroom essentianls (never too poor for quality toilet paper), yet I do have Internet which I'm "borrowing" from a neighbor hehe.

I haven't missed TV at all, yet I'm such a hockey fan that I can't pass up the playoffs, so I've spent the weekend back at my moms watching hockey bliss. In between comercials though I did some channel surfing and landed on ol' faithful Comedy Central and found myself watching the latest South Park episode. The episode revolved around the fact that Cartman has gotten out of control and his mother calls Nanny 911 and when they fail she calls Super Nanny and so on. Finally They call Cesar Milan "The Dog Whisperer". LOL. This guy uses the same techniques to subdue dogs to "tame" Cartman's acting out. He explains to Mrs. Cartman that Eric is her son, not her friend, that he must understand that her life does not revolve around him but her. As the show progresses we see Cartman change into a "normal" child and Mrs. Cartman actually enjoying herself and having a life, while she forms a bond with Cesar.

At the end of the show Cartman has changed and Cesar comes by to see the progress, Mrs. Cartman thanks him and invites him to see Madam Butterfly that Saturday. Cesar turns her down explaining that he must go back to L.A. "But I thought you were my friend," she says "No, you are just a client." He says as he congratulates her once more and takes off. Mrs. Cartman is severely dissapointed and obviously hurt. She turns to Cartman and asks him if he wishes to go, but he too turns her down saying he promised Kyle they would do their science project. "I'll take you to KFC afterwards," she says getting his attention, she continues by saying she'll buy him a power ranger and he says if he can have two. "Sure poopsikins, you can have whatever you want," she says as she hugs him and Cartman ony smiles as they play the theme from The Omen telling us things are back to the way they used to.

I liked the episode for many reasons, one seeing Cartman being treated like a dog was hilarious, but more importantly we finally get some depth and insight on the life of his mother. This is a woman who for the past 10 or who knows how many seasons has been a one dimensional slut and here we finally feel sorry for her. All her life she has had meaningless encounters with many, MANY men, but never really formed a true emotional bond of any sort. Along comes Cesar who helps her with her problem and for the first time she is having a relationship with an adult and connecting with someone that isn't her son. When Cesar leaves she immediately goes back to Cartman for that friendship, which is emotionally damaging to both of them.

This saddened me quite a bit, because it reminded me how judgemental we get sometimes and we reject people for many reasons, whether they are loud, rude, stupid or whatever, when all they really want and need is someone to talk to. After all we are social creatures and lending a sympathetic ear won't kill us. My aunt told me a couple of weeks ago that I shouldn't hang out with the goth kids in the cafeteria and that I should learn to choose better friends. That angered me, but all I told her was not to worry, I only talk to them during lunch time before I go to work and they are interesting to talk to, we are not blood brothers and they won't be coming over for dinner any time soon. But it is amazing the difference that it makes actually talking to the so-called social outcasts.

In Fight Club we see the critique of the "Single Serving Friend", the guy you see only once on the plane (but could be anywhere really) and then no more. The movie (or book if you read it) take a negative spin on it as to how individualized and detached our society has become, but ask yourself this. Wouldn't you rather have a pleasant, interesting, or completely pointless converstion with the guy sitting next to you, maybe learn something new and have a nice time, or just stay in your own little bubble?

I honestly don't know where I'm headed with this or if I even have a point, I guess I just needed to rant, which I haven't done in a while, about there being no real reason why people should suffer loneliness except because of our own selfishness and prejudices.

Onhell said:
...how judgemental we get sometimes and we reject people for many reasons, whether they are loud, rude, stupid or whatever...
Oh yes.

There was once a thread, started by Forostar, I think, who basically said that some people are being unfair to others because they find them stupid. Well, interaction between people is not always ideal and they can hurt each other. I'm guilty of this as well. But when I see occasional harshness and ridicule turn into manhunt, my heart is breaking...

As I said elsewhere, being an outsider is not nice. Although the fight you put up to "show them all" can make you stronger, the hurt somehow remains with you.

As idiotic as it may first seem, South Park is a really well written and closely-thought cartoon. Almost every episode has a message (I'm talking about the latter seasons) and they stand for freedom of speech when America seems to shove PC up everyone's ass... They are (along with The Simpsons) my favourite cartoons of all time... I haven't seen this episode but 1004 and 1005, or whicever no. Cartoon Wars episodes are, well, those episodes rule big-time and show everyone that you shouldn't be intimidated no-matter what the consequences are...

Onhell said:
yet I do have Internet which I'm "borrowing" from a neighbor hehe.
If your neighbour is using a wireless router and you've hopped on to that, they deserve to have others use their broadband.

Onhell said:
when all they really want and need is someone to talk to. After all we are social creatures and lending a sympathetic ear won't kill us.
You will often see in a lot of troubled people (kids that have gone of the rails, etc.) that they are bought up in a situation where communication has completely broken down and all that he/she understands is shouting or been ignored. They in turn will be filled with angst (as Cartman always seems to be), or they may shy themselves away from everyone else. But you're right; a little chat here and there doesn't go amiss.

Off topic here but:
Albie said:
If your neighbour is using a wireless router and you've hopped on to that, they deserve to have others use their broadband.
I use wireless broadband, but fortunately for my connection it required a password and a cd confirmation so no one can steal from my download limit. Wireless broadband is great, in my house there are three computers running from the same internet connection, and even when all three are running at the same time, the speed remains constant. I'd definately reccommend getting wireless, just make sure that it is locked to all others.

Hunlord said:
Off topic here but:I use wireless broadband, but fortunately for my connection it required a password and a cd confirmation so no one can steal from my download limit. Wireless broadband is great, in my house there are three computers running from the same internet connection, and even when all three are running at the same time, the speed remains constant. I'd definately reccommend getting wireless, just make sure that it is locked to all others.

...Or reinforce your walls with lead plating.  Helps stop radiation fallout, too!  :p.  I've got wireless, but we only have one router at the minute, and it's hideously placed so that the signal travels about 3 feet before stopping completely.  Which results in our laptop being 3 inches from the signal as we speak... :(

Silky said:
...Or reinforce your walls with lead plating.  Helps stop radiation fallout, too!  :p.  I've got wireless, but we only have one router at the minute, and it's hideously placed so that the signal travels about 3 feet before stopping completely.  Which results in our laptop being 3 inches from the signal as we speak... :(
Unfortunate that, I gather that your poor signal range stops other from stealing it though, so that must be a plus -_-

Hunlord said:
Unfortunate that, I gather that your poor signal range stops other from stealing it though, so that must be a plus -_-
But there is no point in having a "Wireless" connection if you have to be within 3 feet of the router in the first place ;)

As for South Park, I don't watch it.  I dislike the way they have to have cursing and they have to be controversial in order to get viewers.  In saying that, I have seen a few hilarious clips where they rip off Family Guy and the "Al Qaeda response to the Prophet Mohammed" cartoon is absolute comic genius :D

I love South Park, but I can't stand the slag that they did of Family Guy. Some things are just too close to my heart :angry:

Conor said:
As for South Park, I don't watch it.  I dislike the way they have to have cursing and they have to be controversial in order to get viewers.  In saying that, I have seen a few hilarious clips where they rip off Family Guy and the "Al Qaeda response to the Prophet Mohammed" cartoon is absolute comic genius :D

You should watch it as they haven't been "controversial" for years. They are "Current" and their comedy has become more social comentary than middle-school fart jokes. It has changed and personally I think for the better.
  As for the cursing... what are you 99 years old? Personally I haven't cursed in years (unless I'm angry) However I could care less if someone else does it.

Onhell said:
As for the cursing... what are you 99 years old? Personally I haven't cursed in years (unless I'm angry) However I could care less if someone else does it.
It's the fact that they think that by cursing they will attract more fans is what annoys me.  Comedy can still be hilarious without cursing, it develops into mind-numbing, "Beavis and Buthead" type jokes if people laugh at the swears.

I guess that all depends on what kind of humour you like. South Park is in fact very clever though, especially in pointing out hypocrisies etc.

Cartman is pretty extreme. In Cartoon Wars, when Bart Simspon says the worst thing he's done is pull the head off a statue, Cartman replies that "yeah this one time, like, there was this kid that I didn't like, so I killed his parents and fed them to him in a chili." So yeah, pretty extreme.

Some South Park episodes I find really quite boring, and the ones I like most are the ones centred on Cartman, think 'Cartmanland' or 'Cartman's Incredible Gift'.

Still, nothing beats The Simpsons. :mellow:

Actually, we can see Cartman doing just that, in 501 "Scott Tenerman must Die"/ Scott Tenerman sold Cartman pubes, and now Cartman wants his money back, but Scott wouldn't give it to him... so he grinds his parrents up...

national acrobat said:
Still, nothing beats The Simpsons. :mellow:
Spot on there!

Silky, you'd probably do well to get a wireless network access point "hard-wired" into your router - if cabling is an issue - to boost the signal.

Back on topicish: Interesting to see that the most successful person to "tame" Cartman was the dog listener. To get the best out of a dog is to have that dog respect you and want to do the sits/downs/stays etc. for you. This is not done by shouting or hitting the dog (as this can make the dog aggressive) but quite the opposite. Not a lot different to how a child will react (whether they be a teacher or parent) to an adult. Think about the teachers that you had proper respect for at school (not just were fearful of), I bet few of them would shout or bellow but probably spoke to you in an intelligent and calm manner.

I believe it was Bob Paisley (Liverpool Manager of the late 70's/early 80's) who once said: "if you want to be heard, speak softly".

Sorry to go off topic here, but has anyone else seen the Ricky Gervais episode of The Simpsons. It's absolutely terrible! I'm a huge fan of The Office, and to a lesser extent his stand-up material, but this episode of The Simpsons that he wrote and voiced just wasn't funny in the slightest. You've let the side down Gervais. :down:

I actually thought that was one of the better "new episodes".  IMO, The Simpsons went downhill after the ninth or tenth series.  They have recovered a tiny bit recently but not back to their former glory.

Family Guy has stolen The Simpsons' crown as the best animated comedy but things change.  Aqua Teen Hunger Force could be the next "big thing" :p

Highly doubtful, ATHF is too... "odd" for lack of a better word, to become mainstream. The Simpson's haven't been the same after 1997 and South Park is quite different from it's early days. Unfortunately without a tv I can't really judge current programing, but hell, i'm not missing out on much. I'm spending my summer reading, I'll have plenty of time for that.

national acrobat said:
Sorry to go off topic here, but has anyone else seen the Ricky Gervais episode of The Simpsons. It's absolutely terrible! I'm a huge fan of The Office, and to a lesser extent his stand-up material, but this episode of The Simpsons that he wrote and voiced just wasn't funny in the slightest. You've let the side down Gervais. :down:
That was the one new episode of The Simpsons I've actually pre-decided to watch in the last two years and I couldn't have been more disappointed with it.

Back