Soundtracks

I'm a huge fan of the "Black Hawk Down" soundtrack by Hans Zimmer. I believe that the whole experimental vibe of electronic instruments mixed with more traditional styles blends in very well with the whole chaotic atmosphere of the movie.

The song "Leave no Man Behind" is also very good and has some classic Zimmer sounds in it, but I think that the main theme composed and performed Denez Prigent featuring Lisa Gerrard (she sang on Zimmer's Gladiator soundtrack too) is the strongest one. Quite interesting that Prigent always sings in breton.

Last edited:
But most superhero movies sound like the soundtrack from Batman Begins, and that movie just has...loud sound. For reference, this soundtrack is basically the same across all later Nolan movies - Interstellar and Inception included - and I *hate* it. It's just loud. BAAAAAAM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAM.
I know what you mean, everything in a Nolan movie is huge and loud. He's like the Devin Townsend of directors. I love Hans Zimmer though and I thought the Inception soundtrack was great.

Batman Begins soundtrack is freaking genius. They created an absolutely unique and fascinating sound.
Ehhhhhhhhhhh. Definitely unique at the time, and fascinating. I don't dislike the soundtrack. I dislike what it became afterwards.

Hans Zimmer is a two-trick pony. They're very good tricks, but he still only has two of them.

I can agree with that, but I don't think you will find many film composers who venture away from their signature sound. John Williams, Danny Elfman, Trent Reznor, all well respected film composers who found their formula early and stuck to it.

Not so much that Zimmer is capable of that sound and nothing else, see his The Lion King score for something totally different to what he does with Nolan.

Yea it totally blew my mind when I saw his name on the credits. One of the best modern Disney scores IMO.

I love Zimmer, Vangelis, Elfman, Horner and of course John Williams, damn, his melodies are just as recognizable as The Beatles and Michael Jackson!

Also one of my favorites, are Eddie Vedder - Into the wild

Wow, no soundtrack talk since 2011? ;) Found this thread when I was looking for a place to drop this:

Terrible! Music in this film is going to suck. Tastelessly 'epic', plastic-sounding... I can hear he tried to channel some Elfman but very shallowly. Is this supposed to be a theme? Because there's none! That's what annoys me in modern soundtracks in a nutshell - reliance on huge sound only, pushing the actual composition to the background... Both Burton's and Nolan's Batman had outstanding music. This is a huge step back.

If I could yawn at this as much as I want to, my lower jaw would be displaced enough for me to swallow a baby elephant. Then again, I'm really, really tired of all this Marvel crap to begin with.

It gets boring, even if you liked it on start (which I didn't).
90% of Hollywood blockbuster production is rehash of decades old Marvel / DC stuff.

OK, so now let's take a look at something good... A short clip about the making of The Force Awakens soundtrack:

I found an extended version of the Black Hawk Down soundtrack by Hans Zimmer, never released officially, with some very good stuff on it.

Just because the last track of the soundtrack is no good, does not mean the entire soundtrack is. I love this, the opening track to the movie (even though the first 13 seconds are not in the opening of the film). Even though what we see in the beginning of the film (the murder of the Waynes') has been filmed many times before in other movies, the music (especially starting at the 1:13 mark) fits the scene very well.

Back