Songs you love, bands you hate

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
Careful - read that thread title before posting! This isn't the other thread. :bigsmile:

Name a band or artist who you generally dislike, except for one or two good songs...

And remember, this is a real discussion thread. Madness goes elsewhere.

Elton John: I strongly dislike most of his stuff, but a few songs are good...
"Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding" is simply spectacular. Insanely impressive. Gigantically great. One of the greatest rock songs ever.
"Empty Garden" is far and away the best of the many songs written in tribute to John Lennon after Lennon's death. Lennon and Elton were very close friends, and as a result this song is one of the most genuinely heartfelt songs I've ever heard.

Eric Clapton as a solo artist - I loved his work in Cream, and Derek & The Dominoes released a great album, but most of his solo songs don't do anything for me, except...
"Motherless Children". That song has a nonstop drive and a great slide guitar riff.

"Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding" is simply spectacular. Insanely impressive. Gigantically great. One of the greatest rock songs ever.

I wholeheartedly agree with you there. I have always loved this song and didn't even know that this was one of Elton John's works til my mid 20s. When I was told that, I refused to believe it until I got positive confirmation.

I really enjoy Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson, I am not a fan of his but do acknowledge his great career. That's a very good song though, nice bass line.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Elton John: I strongly dislike most of his stuff, but a few songs are good...
"Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding" is simply spectacular.

Bingo.  This topic was made for that song. That's a clear #1 in my book.  A clear #2 is In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins.  I don't know enough about early Genesis to have an opinion, but his '80s solo stuff generally sucked.  In the Air Tonight is a certified classic, though, perhaps due in no small part to Miami Vice.  There are a bunch of one-hit wonders that come to mind, but this topic obviously deals with artists who have enough in their repertoire for one to acquire a disliking of them. 

Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus

The Go-Go's - Head Over Heels (God help me.) 

Stone Temple Pilots - Vasoline (great riff -- very simple, but it works)

Kiss (hate 'em) - Black Diamond (but The Replacements' cover version is better)

EDIT:  Can't believe I left off the Eagles.  Generally horrible, but Hotel California is excellent.  Victim of Love off the same album is pretty good, too -- they let Joe Walsh off the leash for most of the song -- but the chorus is a bit too Eagles-y. 

Big Country- In A Big Country

Erasure-Drama!

Poison- Talk Dirty To Me (I hate to admit that, cause I really don't like Poison at all)

Does David Lee Roth solo stuff count?  I like Van Halen stuff, but the only DLR song I like solo is- Just Like Paradise

Keith Urban- Who Wouldn't Wanna Be Me

Billy Dean- Billy the Kid

@Cornfedhick, good call on Depeche Mode!

R.E.M. - 2 good songs, "Losing My Religion" and "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)"

Michael Jackson - I'm not a "Smooth Criminal" fan, but I do love "Thriller" and (slightly less) "The Way You Make Me Feel".

Janet Jackson - "Black Cat". Not quite metal, but surprisingly close - hard rock at least.

LOL, Good call on R.E.M.

The Cars- Like most of their singles, but try listening to one of their cd's without getting a headache

Michael Jackson- LOVE his 80's stuff, absolute musical genius

SinisterMinisterX said:
R.E.M. - 2 good songs, "Losing My Religion" and "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)"

I agree with Losing My Religion.  I've liked since it came out.  Also, Everybody Hurts is a great song.  Slow build-up, but manages to stay melancholy, yet inspirational.  Man on the Moon is fairly good, too, but I haven't heard it in such a long time I forget why I liked it.  I do not care much for It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine); I find it repetitive.

Teenage Dirtbag Baby - Wheatus
Does a good job of telling people to check Maiden out :p Otherwise not really a fan of most alternative rock with those kind of themes :D

Soldiers Of The Wasteland - Dragonforce
Though a technical nightmare it is very melodic and the lyrics are kinda fun despite the cheesiness.

Toxic by Brittany Spears :D LOVE, LOVE that song and the video is not too shabby either.

Funeral for A Friend is a sublime piece of music - almost as good as Into The Lungs of Hell by Megadeth, but the track Love Lies Bleeding is only quite good.

Good songs by bands/artists I don't care much for:

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead: Brilliant track. Reminds me of my school days.
Killing Joke - Love Like Blood: Again, a fantastic song but I just can't get into anything else they have done.
Blue Öyster Cult - Godzilla: Sorry chaps, I just don't care for anything else they have done. Although Fire of an Unknown Origin is an OK album.
Gun - The Only One: A very good song from a mediocre band at best.
Ian Hunter (or anything that Mott The Hoople did) - Once Bitten Twice Shy: Good song.
The Ruts - Babylon's Burning: Fantastic riff on this and one of the first things I learnt on a guitar.

As for REM, I only ever have liked Drive and all the rest is just, well, rubbish in my opinion.
And I agree with you on The Cars, Onhell, their singles are good. But I have never listened to an album of theirs so I can't comment further.

Token pop song: Robbie Williams - Angel: This track is one of the greatest pop songs ever written by any one (and it also has a rather good version of Back for Good on this CD*)

*Yes, I liked the track so much, I brought the CD. :D

Robbie Williams has produced some high quality pop. Although I personally don't care for most of his music, I do have to admit that he deserves the hype he gets.

Onhell said:
LOL, Good call on R.E.M.

I actually like a lot of R.E.M.'s stuff.  Check out These Days (EDIT: actually, check out the entire Lifes Rich Pageant album), So. Central Rain, 7 Chinese Brothers, Nightswimming, Find the River and New Test Leper -- terrific songs all.  Their first album is highly overrated, though, I'll give you that. 

Mmm...Donuts said:
Teenage Dirtbag Baby - Wheatus

Good call!

I don't like Coldplay, but I like the song Clocks.

Don't like Dragonforce either, but Fury of the Storm is quite neat.

And I agree with Per, Robbie Williams has produced some very good pop (Feel being one of my favorites).

hmmm let's see.

Take That - Patience
Great comeback song for any band, i wish I wrote it!!

Elvis - Suspicious Minds, Always on my mind, In the ghetto
Never liked Elivs but I do like these songs

I'm sure there's more just can't think of them at the moment.

Back