Songs that start out bad but turn out to be amazing

Stardust

Rainmaker
Long thread title, I know.

So, have you ever experienced a song suddenly switching from bad to amazing in a matter of seconds?
I have.

I admit it, I didn't give Steve Hackett much credit back when my love for Genesis was the biggest. He was a great guitar player, yes. But he got so little screentime, maybe he wasn't that great! Or so I thought.
Now after listening to his solo records, I thought; "Oh boy, was I ever wrong!"

Instead of finding mediocre flashy guitar music I instead found true beauty.

Case in point, Every Day, the opener to his third album, Spectral Mornings, released in 1979.

The song starts out with a fairly generic synth part. In all honesty, the track IS bad, it's a very generic track and repetitive on top of all that! It seemed I had found Invisible Touch 2.0 and that's not a good sign!
But suddenly something happened.
Just before the three minute mark, Steve suddenly starts to play beautiful notes!
And before my very eyes, the track turned into one of the most beautiful things that I had ever heard. I strongly recommend listening to it. It's truly a marvel.

And that's the story of me and the song Every Day.

Now, tell me YOUR stories!

I'll certainly enjoy them!

See ya later because I'm off!

The Thin Line Between Love and Hate. Starts off rocky and seems to build up and when the song goes slow and melodic, it becomes something special. One of the most beautiful melodies out there for Maiden. Last 3-4 minutes are magic for that song

Como Estais Amigos. It starts strange, but then turns into a good sort of a power ballad song. Janick's solo is amazing.

Although it is my least favorite song from the VXI album, I have to admit that it closes the album in a unique way.

Afraid to Shoot Strangers. Younger me could never get through the long intro without skipping the track entirely, so it was many months before I finally heard the almighty second half.

I found this rather difficult, turns out most bands are pretty good at starting a song. There are a few that really rile me though:

Dream of Mirrors - The rest of the song is incredible but that tacked-on heavy intro is total crap. Thankfully we never hear from it again.

Metallica's "Am I Savage?" - I like the clean intro, but the heavy riff after that is garbage, mostly down to Kirk's sloppy, poorly timed licks over the top of it.

Guns N' Roses' "Scraped" - I actually really like this song, but those "Ah-ah's" in the intro are painful. I do think they work a bit better in the rest of the song.

Maybe some more will come to mind.

Horrible:

The Unbeliever - This intro is so bad it stains the rest of the song (that happens to be really great) and prevents TXF to be flawless regarding composition ... WTF are those harmonics?
Virus - Let's put it simple: as far as I'm concerned the only version from this song that truly exists is the single edit. That's how painful and unnecessary those first minutes sound to me.
Dream Of Mirrors - The main riffs and chorus are really great (though suffering from abusive repetition. ) but that intro is utter crap.
Shadows Of The Valley - Far from an amazing song but it starts awfuly... like someone missred the tabs from Wasted Years (plus the rest of the song has nothing to do with the intro).

Could be better:

The Wicker Man - Every time that riff starts I can't avoid but to expect Halford's voice to kick in.
The Pilgrim - Although being good as a bridge, the way the song starts is really odd.
Out Of The Shadows - The intro is a bit generic and has little to do with the rest of the song.
Satellite 15 - Normaly I look at this song as an isolated composition the band forgot to give a track of its own. But even by those standards, this one should only start at 2m32s with Bruce's voice. Being a track of its own and starting from that point, S15 would have been great.
Coming Home - Cool bridge but a lackluster of an intro
The Red And The Black - That bass intro is completely unnecessary.
When The River Runs Deep - Bruce's vocals are a bit sloppy here. Plus this track begs to go speed ahead from the get go.

Last edited:
Back