1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Somewhere In Time: Album Discussion

Discussion in 'Somewhere In Time' started by 22 The Avenue, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Metal Warrior 330

Metal Warrior 330 Educated Fool

I hope they return to America or China, or Canada to do an extension of the Book of Souls tour so I can see them again, especially if they are doing different Somewhere In Time songs. They should since its the 30th Anniversary. I would love to hear either Caught Somewhere In Time, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Stranger In A Strange Land, or Alexander the Great. It would be even better if they played the entire album live but that's just a dream. Definitely my favorite Maiden album, and its the album that got me into Maiden twenty years ago. Boston is near to Canada so it still convenient if they play in Montreal if they don't go to the Boston or New York areas.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Forostar likes this.
  2. RueMorgue

RueMorgue Prowler

Regrettably and despite several attempts I just can't seem to get into SIT. The first four or five songs on the album have a kind of 'sameness' about them, both in tempo and production.
    I don't enjoy the production on the album, and not being a musician might struggle to express why...but the rhythm guitars (as opposed to lead guitars) have been given some type of production treatment
    which I don't like. If anybody would like to 'set me straight' on how to approach this album and how I can learn to love it, I'd be grateful. I don't enjoy not liking it!

3. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

YOU'RE A DAMN FOOL! GIVE YOURSELF A GOOD SLAP & SEE SOME SENSE MAN!

4. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Cried, can you, for a change, please speak normally to other people? RueMorgue probably doesn't know your posts and how to take them.

5. Ruflux

Ruflux Nomad

Regarding the "production treatment" on the rhythm guitars, it's just an effects heavy tone (lots of chorus and reverb) on different amps from before (both Davey and Adrian played solid-state Gallien-Krueger 250ML amps on SiT). It's very different from any other album tone and it's a pretty dated sound today, but it does give the album a unique sound.

The vocals and drums do have a lot of reverb on them, which does muddy the production overall and then there's the guitar synths adding layers here and there. It definitely is a huge departure from, say, Powerslave where everything feels a lot more defined and clear.

6. RueMorgue

RueMorgue Prowler

Thanks for giving me the benefit of your knowledge, Ruflux. I knew there was something about the sound and production of the album which I didn't like, I just didn't know the words for it!

7. Spectralmusic

Spectralmusic Prowler

My favorite Maiden album, despite my initial indifference to Wasted Years. Everything about it the songwriting, instrumental performances, instrument tones, the lyrics, the theme. It's all just perfect.