Some thoughtson the Commentary updates...

gor

Ancient Mariner
I have been a great fan of the site for a long long time. nevertheless, newer texts seem to be more opinionated and cheeky than before. i also spotted some bad mouthing for jan, blaze and bruce. i think that it represented a fansite that was more objective and cool about things, and that was one of the coolest things about it. also, some comments on songs are needlesly analytic, for example, reading the lyrics of 22aa, we get the message on our own, no need for explanations...

i have no desire do bring down newer efforts, it's a beautiful thing that this site has been kept alive and breathing.

Point taken for the explanation of songs such as 22, Acacia Avenue, I was merely trying to help those whose knowledge of English is somewhat limited and who may not have understood some subtleties (although I agree that it's pretty obvious in the case of 22...).

Concerning the so-called \"bad-mouthing\", I do not think that being the \"yes-man\" of Maiden is the right attitude either... The review on Rock In Rio reflects the opinion of many fans and does not try to make concessions. Bruce is an obnoxious character and shows it at every opportunity (Like I wrote, it is a shame that he didn't stay as he was in the 80's).

Janick, although a great composer, is a pretty bad performer live musically speaking. He's great for the show, but when you listen to the live recordings, the quality of his solos is quite mediocre. Many musicians agree on this one, and I was merely airing what those who know guitar (I'm not a guitarist) tend to say all too often. Although I'm not a musician, my ears are good enough to inform my brain, who doesn't quite like the transmitted information anyway! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

All in all, I just wanted to briefly point out in this message that having a site on Iron Maiden is not about licking their boots. My commentaries may be sometimes a bit biased (it is pretty difficult to write something like this without some elements of subjectivity), but I leave it to the readers to get back to me and tell me what they think... Which is what you did, Gor, and I appreciate that! [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

All comments, as long as they are constructive, will be taken in consideration and used at one point or another to fine-tune the commentaries! I'm waiting! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

point taken (and I agree on both claims btw). I am anything but an ass-kisser for the band, if you ever checked out the maiden bb you'd see that i do speak my mind on many things maiden have done wrong (recent example the edward the reat cash in). but i don't think that reffering to '94-'99 as \"the Blaze mistake\" is in the same league as statements about bruce and jan that you mention. after all, the commentary places \"TXF\" and \"VXI\" at the beggining of the rejuvenation period... [!--emo&:chug:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/beerchug.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'beerchug.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

The words \"Blaze mistake\" were actually sarcastic and trying to highlight the stupidity to think this way. Maybe I should rephrase it... [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-KRS+Feb 11 2003, 09:51 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(KRS @ Feb 11 2003, 09:51 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Blaze is an awful singer though. [/quote]
Sad but true [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
In Maiden yes but some of his solo stuff are good.

[!--QuoteBegin-KRS+Feb 11 2003, 10:51 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(KRS @ Feb 11 2003, 10:51 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Blaze is an awful singer though. [/quote]
Debatable - although dont take that as an invitation to debate it cos I'msick of doing so [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]
My opinion though is if Iron Maiden had released Silicon Messiah instead of B L A Z E it would have been one of the bands most successful albums EVER but Maiden would never have written that album because Blaze was never given then creative freedom and at times [with VXI in particular] the record company didnt give the band the freedom they needed to create a great album. Sad but true

I think Blaze's solo stuff is a bit overrated. Sure, it's nice Heavy Metal. Not too original, nothing new, but not bad. But to say that Maiden should have released something like Sillicon Messiah or the Tenth Dimension goes a bit far IMO.

Please don't ban me [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

hey everyone has their own opinion but thats mine. Same with Accident of Birth. If Maiden had released that it would beat most of the albums theyve ever released

[!--QuoteBegin-Real World+Feb 11 2003, 02:41 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Real World @ Feb 11 2003, 02:41 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Debatable - although dont take that as an invitation to debate it cos I'msick of doing so [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]
My opinion though is if Iron Maiden had released Silicon Messiah instead of B L A Z E it would have been one of the bands most successful albums EVER but Maiden would never have written that album because Blaze was never given then creative freedom and at times [with VXI in particular] the record company didnt give the band the freedom they needed to create a great album. Sad but true [/quote]
Yeah I do agree. Silicon Messiah & TF would have made good Maiden albums, as would AOB & CW by Bruce. But as you say, Blaze wasn't given the creative freedom and to be honest Blaze couldn't sing Bruce's songs, and the writing on both the albums was good, yet it could have been better. These are usually the reasons why Blaze is constantly bashed and insulted by some Iron Maiden fans. It's basically because of Steve's depression, a record company and a new singer to get used to (remember than Paul & Bruce had done gigs with Maiden before they started recording, whereas Blaze started recording with Maiden before they'd got used to each other, which must have caused problems with the writing and recording) that the record wasn't as good as it could have been.

But then, I think that Wolfsbane & Blaze make some excellent heavy metal (Manhunt by Wolfsbane is an under-rated metal anthem!), and it's not my fault if all these people are missing out on it simply because of two slightly sub-par Maiden albums... [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-KRS+Feb 11 2003, 04:22 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(KRS @ Feb 11 2003, 04:22 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Please don't ban me [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
Give me a reason why I shouldn't ban you [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-The Ancient Mariner+Feb 12 2003, 11:33 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The Ancient Mariner @ Feb 12 2003, 11:33 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Give me a reason why I shouldn't ban you [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
Ehmm...... ehh...

Dunno really.. [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

So Steve Harris have had an depression? I didnt know that. Has he come out of yet?

I am listening to X-factor right now and hey, it's not that bad! But It still would have been better with Bruce as singer! Blaze is an average singer.

Sort of. He felt that the music wasn't really getting anywhere, and he'd fallen out (well, not fallen out, but he'd lost the partnership) with Bruce, and his wife had just divorced him.

hmm....well IMO i think that Blaze is a good singer, but in performing Bruce's stuff because it needs a high vocal range, which he (Blaze) unforunately lacks, though the stuff he did for the Di'anno era was quite impressive, what Blaze needed in Maiden to be more heavy in terms of guitars and production and above all the words should have been written to suit his voice, which Bruce had mentioned once in an interview i think after the release of AOB, thus if he were given the creative freedom he would have wrote music and words that could be more (friendly) with his voice!!!! [!--emo&:homer:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/homer[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'homer[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

UP THE IRONS!! [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

What Maiden should have done is play the Maiden songs an octave lower, so Blaze would be in tune and more comfortable singing, rather than having to sing as high as Bruce and failing.

[!--QuoteBegin-The Ancient Mariner+Mar 2 2003, 10:33 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The Ancient Mariner @ Mar 2 2003, 10:33 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] What Maiden should have done is play the Maiden songs an octave lower, so Blaze would be in tune and more comfortable singing, rather than having to sing as high as Bruce and failing. [/quote]
...or maybe Maiden shoud have picked a guy who can sing on a high octave.

[!--QuoteBegin-Tomas (the infinte dreamer)+Mar 3 2003, 12:37 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Tomas (the infinte dreamer) @ Mar 3 2003, 12:37 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] ...or maybe Maiden shoud have picked a guy who can sing on a high octave. [/quote]
[!--emo&:yey:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/luxhello[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'luxhello[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back