SMX presents The Top 100 Classic Rock Songs

SinisterMinisterX said:
He's not such a bad guy.

Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil (I remember guessing this before, can't remember if it's been on the list yet)

Edit: Just seen it's already been guessed, that's me all out of ideas.

HBO original series.... (+5 to mosh)
#10. Aerosmith, "Dream On"
In their early days, Aerosmith lived together in a single house. The piano was in drummer Joey Kramer's bedroom. Every morning, Steven Tyler would go in and wake up Kramer by playing this song. Kramer hated it, never realizing it would become a smash. A few years later, Joe Perry's wife also grew to hate it (because she hated Tyler, and it's his song). She always took a bathroom break when the band played it. Even though she divorced Perry long ago, she has said that hearing this song still triggers a reaction and she has to go pee whenever it comes on the radio.

Wise man... (+5 to cfh)
#9. The Who, "Baba O'Riley"
Named after Townshend's guru, Meher Baba. Of course there are still some fools out there who think it's called "Teenage Wasteland". The studio version has a violin solo at the end; when playing live, Daltrey did that solo on harmonica (and did it well).

A cover song... (+5 to cfh)
#8. Jimi Hendrix, "All Along The Watchtower"
According to legend, when Dylan first heard Jimi's cover, he said "that's Jimi's song now." It's very simple musically: just C# to A and back (with some B chords in between). The variety of feels Jimi laid over this progression is what makes the song so amazing; the guitar solo changes mood every 8 bars, with each segment sounding like its own mini-composition.

He's not such a bad guy... (+5 to mosh)
#7. The Rolling Stones, "Sympathy For The Devil"
During this song at Altamont, a Hells Angel stabbed a woman to death. The song acquired a bad reputation and the Stones didn't play it live again for years. Of course it's back in their set now, typically with red lights to make the stage look hellish. And yes, it's another 3-chord song (E-D-A this time).

Construction instruction... (+5 to mckindog)
#6. Pink Floyd, "Another Brick In The Wall Part 2"
To be honest, I don't know why this song ranks so high. It may have some memorable lyrics, but there are many better Floyd songs. Still, it's the first Floyd song I ever heard, and I loved those lyrics as a kid because I always hated school.

There's only 5 left, and this time you get no clues! Your challenge: guess the top 5 songs, in order with the correct ranks.

For each song you get right (both song and rank), you get 5 karma points. So everyone can earn points here.
Beware: if you get #1 wrong, you lose 20 points! So even if you get the rest right, you come out with nothing. :devil2:

I will be editing your post, and saying how many you got right after your guess. If (when) someone gets all 5 right, the game is over.
You can take a second guess only after 10 other people have posted a guess.

So, it's important to get the first one right, folks.

I honestly don't know. I'd pick something by AC/DC, myself, but I am rather out of my element here.

VH1 Classic listed Welcome to the Jungle as the best hard rock song. It has to be on the list so that would be one of the top 5. I can't think of what the other 4 would be though so I'm not gonna guess anything yet.

I'm your huckleberry:

5. Free Bird
4. Comfortably Numb
3. Hotel California
2. Bohemian Rhapsody
1. Stairway to Heaven

SMX sez: 3 correct, +15 points.

#5 - Comfortably Numb
#4 - Free Bird
#3 - Hotel California
#2 - Bohemian Rhapsody
#1 - Stairway To Heaven.

SMX sez: 2 correct, +10 points.

I have a feeling Free Bird will be higher, so a slight variation:

5 - Comfortably Numb
4 - Hotel California
3 - Bohemian Rhapsody
2 - Free Bird
1 - Stairway to Heaven

SMX sez: 1 correct, +5 points.

Almost all of the 'Top Classic Rock Songs' lists have Stairway at 1 and Rhapsody at 2. It gets a little fuzzy after that.

5 - Hotel California
4 - Comfortably Numb
3 - Free Bird
2 - Bohemian Rhapsody
1 - Stairway To Heaven.

SMX sez: 1 correct, +5 points.

Question for SMX:  does the last post mean that only one of the five in Albie's list is in the correct place?  And, if we are all wrong re Stairway, are you waiting to assign the -20 penalty until the end?  Put another way, is it safe for people to assume that Stairway is #1? 

5. Freebird
3. Hotel California
1.Stairway

Which means:

2. Comfortably Numb
4. Bohemian Rhapsody

^Based on cfh, Ablie, Nush, & BT have Stairway at 1, cfh and BT have the top three the same, (4 and 5 diff), so 2 of the top 3 are correct.  Since Albie has Queen 2 (and only 1 right), I'm guessing the rest falls into place.  And cfh is the only one to have Freebird at 5 (and he has 3 correct)

Assuming we have the final five correct.

That's how I have it figured too.  Take my original list and flip-flop Queen and Floyd.

I'm assuming SMX is out of pocket for the next three hours.

Back