SMX presents The Top 100 Classic Rock Songs

cornfedhick said:
From dusk til dawn:  You Shook Me All Night Long (or, Dream On, which has been guessed)

Good guess, but I was thinking Kiss- I wanna rock and roll all night (and party every day...)

Onhell said:
Good guess, but I was thinking Kiss- I wanna rock and roll all night (and party every day...)
If Kiss has a song -- any song -- in the Top 100, I may just throw up.  
Chorus is a question:  For What It's Worth, by Buffalo Springfield?  Or maybe Have You Ever Seen The Rain by CCR
Famous quote from a former US president: [EDIT] I'm just a bit more confident in "Won't Get Fooled Again" based on this speech.    

Albie said:
From dusk till dawn: I would say - All Day, and All of the Night - The Kinks.
I wish to retract that and offer instead: All Night Long - Rainbow.

0.0040741827%... (+5 to Black Thunder)
#15. The Beatles, "A Day In The Life"
A year is 365.25 days and the current average human life expectancy is 67.2 years. (1 / 365.25) / 67.2 gets you the clue. As for the song, I think all the stories have been told many times. My favorite bit is just after McCartney's middle section, when Lennon's voice comes back with those "ahh"s.

Double negative... (+5 to Black Thunder)
#14. The Rolling Stones, "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
I agree with those who say this should rank higher. Top ten at least, probably top five. The Stones crafted so many great songs in the late 60s and early 70s that this classic gets lost in the shuffle. Classic rock stations tend to regard this as an "oldie" from the early rock era, much like early Beatles songs. Thus, the low ranking. And you know a song has to be good when I call #15 low.

Famous quote from a former US president... (+5 to cfh)
#13. The Who, "Won't Get Fooled Again"
It's obvious that Townshend was having a blast experimenting with all those synths, but the song is not dependent on the effects. On the Classic Albums DVD for Who's Next, Townshend plays this song (all 8 minutes) on acoustic guitar and it's mind-blowing. That's the mark of great rock: you can strip away all the studio trappings and what's left standing is still classic. Good thing cfh edited his post to reference the right speech - his first guess would only have gotten a +2.

The chorus is a question...
#12. Led Zeppelin, "Whole Lotta Love"
The chorus is "Wanna whole lotta love?". That's right, the prototypical cock-rock song asks permission in the chorus. A real man is always gentleman, after all... when not busy bragging about "every inch of my love".

From dusk till dawn... (+5 to cfh)
#11. AC/DC, "You Shook Me All Night Long"
If any songwriters out there haven't learned the lesson yet: you only need three chords to make great rock and roll. This one is (again!) G, C and D in a couple of different combinations.

On to the top ten!

HBO original series.
Wise man.
A cover song.
He's not such a bad guy.
Construction instruction.

(Those should be easy, with so few monster classics left to choose from.)

cover song. Come Together-Aerosmith or You Really Got Me-Van Halen
Not A Bad Guy-Sympathy for the Devil-Stones
HBO-Dream On-Aerosmith

can't think of the others.

Cover Song — Gimmer Shelter
Not a Bad Guy — Beat by the Master, it's definitely Stones
Construction — Another Brick in the Wall

mckindog said:
Construction — Another Brick in the Wall
I forgot that one hadn't been listed yet. Gimme Shelter is already on the list I think.

Cover song: All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix (orig by Dylan)
Wise Man: Baba O'Riley (named in part after Meher Baba, who supposedly was a Hindu wise man, but based on his bio just seems like a kook -- plus, this song HAS to be on the list at some point)
Agree with Knife Master and McKindog about the other three
Unless I've counted wrong, is there no "Aqualung" or "Turn the Page" on the entire list??  I think we've run out of room, and I'm pretty sure I can guess the Top 5, which doesn't include those songs. 

cornfedhick said:
Cover song: All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix (orig by Dylan)
Wise Man: Baba O'Riley (named in part after Meher Baba, who supposedly was a Hindu wise man, but based on his bio just seems like a kook -- plus, this song HAS to be on the list at some point)
Agree with Knife Master and McKindog about the other three
Unless I've counted wrong, is there no "Aqualung" or "Turn the Page" on the entire list??  I think we've run out of room, and I'm pretty sure I can guess the Top 5, which doesn't include those songs. 
I'm pretty sure Baba 'o Riley was on the list already.

The Knife Master said:
I'm pretty sure Baba 'o Riley was on the list already.

I'll give you a praise if you can tell me which number.  I thought I'd been keeping pretty close track.  Like Loosey, I've been making a playlist based on this list. 

A cover song. - "Respect" by Aretha Franklin (because AATW had already been guessed).

He's not such a bad guy. - "Bat Out Of Hell" by Meat Loaf.

Construction instruction. - "Thunder Road" - by Bruce Springsteen.

Wise Man. - "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits.

Black_Thunder said:
A cover song. - "Respect" by Aretha Franklin (because AATW had already been guessed).

SinisterministerX said:
Any list which included Aretha Franklin's "Respect" was disqualified.

Back