1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shadows Of The Valley

Discussion in 'The Book of Souls' started by SinisterMinisterX, Aug 22, 2015.

?

How good is Shadows of the Valley on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

13.3%
  2. 9

8.9%
  3. 8

22.2%
  4. 7

26.7%
  5. 6

15.6%
  6. 5

6.7%
  7. 4

4.4%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.2%
  1. SinisterMinisterX

SinisterMinisterX Illuminatus Staff Member

Discuss your thoughts about "Shadows Of The Valley" here!

2. Shadow

Shadow Deluxe Edition Staff Member

This appears to be least anticipated song on the album, as it's the last to receive any comment on this board.

3. TheSpectreWithin

TheSpectreWithin Pirate of the Undergorund

Several reviews have compared the intro to Wasted Years. I'm interested to hear how accurate those comparisons are.

4. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

With The Book of Souls ending disc 1 and Death or Glory starting disc 2 in a solid manner, the high level remains. The song has an intro in which the lead guitar recalls Wasted Years. At some point I thought I heard a sentence ending with "... Sea of Madness!"

This is the second song having a part with "Montségur"-style riffing. Solo order: J / A / D.

edit:
    http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads...ral-album-discussion.32230/page-2#post-536102

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  5. Lego

Lego Shadows in the stars, we will not return!

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:
    SOMEWHERE IN TIME REFERENCES!!!

Also, @Forostar for MF member of the year 2015 award :D

Forostar and Meliegree like this.
  6. hellishere

hellishere Invader

Wasted Years intro, but seems kinda slow paced

Too much "ooh OOh" at the end!

7. SinisterMinisterX

SinisterMinisterX Illuminatus Staff Member

"Soulless demons laughing in a sea of madness"

With those last 3 words belted out to make sure no one misses it.

8. Severian

Severian Have a good time, all the time!

Alot of people claim Maiden Neglect/Dislike SIT, Especially "Lost" songs like SOM, i'd like to think this was maiden showing they still remember & have love for it

bornless1 and Chained Prometheus like this.
  9. hellishere

hellishere Invader

Another great track, it's definitely a grower, the only letdown part is the football chanting finale
    The second solo (Adrian?) is fantastic!

Somewhere In Life likes this.
  10. Collin

Collin Jambi

This song has epic written all over it. A lot of other people have already called this song boring, but it's the exact opposite. It's like Where Eagles Dare was on Somewhere in Time, but then the chorus is just blinding. Perhaps one of the best songs on the album. 10/10

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  11. Brave New Pilgrim

Brave New Pilgrim What not to do if your bird sh#$% on you....

Another song that will most likely be a sleeper, which is a shame, because this song is just so energetic, pounding, and a joy to listen to.

12. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

If I hadn't read the credits, I'd swear this was a Smith song (Fallen Angel, Lord of Light)
    It's just the riff after the chorus that screams Jan.

13. Eriko

Eriko Prowler

To me this is actually, and I have to say surprisingly, the song that is most "post-reunion" on BoS so far... And very Jan'ish! But I mean this in a good way!!

14. Meliegree

Meliegree Dictionary lost in space and time… for now.

Can you mean this in a bad way? :D

15. Eriko

Eriko Prowler

Haha ;) Always though of Jan as a stellar songwriter, so for his sake NO! :p But if everything sounded post-reunion guess that would be a bit boring. This album is surprisingly fresh and breaks a lot of barriers! ..blablah, NO I guess i cannot mean this in a bad way! haha ;)

16. Meliegree

Jan is so underrated that it actually huts. I mean - Adrian is my all time favorite beacuse he's just pure awesomness (is that even a word? Maybe pure Smithnes is better? Whatever!) but Jan is briliant and this album prove this big time.

stallan likes this.
  17. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

We got a lot of Adrian Smith for The Final Frontier. This time we get a lot of Janick Gers. The albums sound different, and that's just fine - and I like the way they both sound.

Viperlord, Travis The Dragon and Josh like this.
  18. Meliegree

I like how this album sound. Shadows of the valley is one of my favorite songs on this album at this moment. So many great melodies...

19. I dont know if I'm translated this correctly but i just love the way Bruce sings "Ask them the queeeeeestioooons.......tell them noooo lieeeeeesss"
    (first time between 1:35 - 1:42). And yes, the guitar part in the beginning is a variant of wasted years but in slow motion.

I like this song very much! Not so much on the first listen but it has grown as hell on me.

jazz from hell likes this.
  20. Travis The Dragon

Travis The Dragon The dreamers may die, but the dreams live on.

And more amazing melodic guitars to open this one up! I love the Wasted Years feel to them. And I went insane when first hearing "listen closely to THE raven's call"!

Meliegree likes this.