Science!

Astronomers have spotted the largest known spiral galaxy!
718351main_composite_labels_673.jpg

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/galex/galex20130110.html

Probably yes, a lot of things are matching:
1) Scoliosis
2) DNA test with one far descendant
3) Estimated age of the skeleton
4) Wounds indicating that he died in battle

Maiden related trivia: He was the last English king to die with his boots on.

Would like to see tonight's documentary. DNA is the best lead for me, along with age, period, and precise location.

In 2008 I opened the discussion:
The (Archeological) Discoveries Topic
http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/the-archeological-discoveries-topic.16522/

I wrote an introduction:
- - - - -
This topic is meant for (in your opinion) interesting discoveries. Lost warships, cities, traces of ancient cultures, animals, you name it.

Don't take archeological in the subject too literally. New discoveries in space are also allowed. Basically everything in this topic has to do with "things" (or "beings") found on "location(s)", so I don't mean discoveries in the sense of new inventions or something. :)
- - - --
Plain enough I thought. However, it was probably overlooked by Natalie (who was away for a long while) because she opened the current discussion...
Scientific Discoveries
... which started in 2012. I regarded it as a double topic but never complained about it. However, since I feel the old one is being neglected, I wonder what's the best thing to do.

To the mods (though I don't mind other opinions), I ask: Would you please consider these options:

1. Merge the threads
2. Let's use the Archeological one strictly for archeological discoveries; discoveries of old stuff; meaning finding old stuff on locations on our planet, on land and sea, (opposing the original idea, but still better than the current situation) and the new one for new discoveries.

Option 1 might be the best because the distinction between old and new or archeological and non-archeological is perhaps not easy to make for everyone. I don't have trouble with nr. 2 either.

Your introduction to the previous topic does certainly create crossover, but the title is quite possibly the issue there and as to why this topic would've been created to begin with. The inclusion of the word archeological making it seem to anyone not actually opening the topic that it was a very specific subject. For instance if I was wanting to talk about a space related discovery and skimmed down the list seeing the previous thread, I would not assume that was a place to post it and would (if this thread did not exist) create a new topic instead.

So whilst the older thread may serve the same purpose in intent, the title throws it off somewhat.

Thanks for your feedback. I guess you're right that unfortunately that topic title didn't turn out as the most handy one. I can't change it myself anymore.

I do hope you see why I put archeological there, because I didn't want to make it look like it was purely a discoveries topic in the sense of new inventions or something (although I broke that rule myself when posting about the invention of a bike in Argentina!).

It meant: things that are found. Still, I didn't want to limit this to our own planet earth, I also wanted it to be open for space. So, that's why I used the brackets. With these aspects in mind I could truly not think of a better title, at that moment. But it turned out clumsily.

I guess I thought too much about it and the result became vague to some who rather have clear info instead of something that needs clicking to find out more precise info.

But today an archeological subject was posted in this topic, so that triggered me to begin about it.

And the greatest scientific sensation of the millennium does not come from America, not from Russia, England, Germany or France. No, not even from Japan or Australia. The greatest scientific sensation ever, and I do not use that lightly, comes from....

*drumrolls*

NORTH KOREA!

For the Happiest Place On Earth claims to have found one of the most-fabled creatures in world history. Don't believe me?

Unicorn lair 'discovered' in North Korea

That's right! North Korean archaeologists have located the lair of a unicorn right inside Pyongyang!​
Vertical_Flag_of_North_Korea.svg
Kim-Jong-un.jpg
Vertical_Flag_of_North_Korea.svg
1419618-unicorn2.jpg

I suppose that would be because I linked to the wrong news story. Fixed now.

I was wondering if you were trying to trick us all with a fake story!

That however.. well, clearly it must be true! A rock with the words "Unicorn Lair" carved in it? What other proof is needed!

EDIT: Further looking, this was posted a week later: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/05/north-korea

There is only one problem with the story: it isn't exactly true.
It appears a combination of mistranslation and journalistic wishful thinking may be to blame for the fantastical claim, which was made in an English language report from the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).

For starters, there was no talk of unicorns, but of "kirins" or "Qilins" – which James Grayson, emeritus professor of Korean studies at Sheffield university, describes as "a four-legged beast with a dragon's head". His Sheffield colleague, Sukyeon Cho, said Kirins have "the body of a deer, the tail of a cow, hooves and a mane", as well as a horn jutting out from the top of their heads.
Oh well that makes it all better then!

Well I think the evidence is very clear. If Korean Central News Agency says it's a Unicorn Lair, then it's a Unicorn Lair! :p

This isn't a discovery per se but it is beautiful and reminds me of how raw and powerful nature really is. Its video footage of Mount Etna erupting against the night sky this past week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21823255

I also would like to add that I hadn't noticed before that there was some controversy last month over the name of this thread and the existence of another one that Forostar had started. I apologize for the confusion, I didn't realize there was another one at the time I started this thread (as Foro said, because I hadn't been that regular for a while). Glad people sorted that out because at the end of the day, I meant this as more of a cool discoveries thread in general that had some basis in science and archaeology definitely has that in my opinion.

And I solemnly promise to take better care of this thread, I've been badly neglecting it even as every day I read of new discoveries and simply forget to post them on here.

Back