Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier

How good is Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Satellite 15....The Final Frontier

I actually think the final frontier is the worst opening track out of the last 4 albums. The chord progression is almost exactly the same through the whole song.

OK, not sure if anyone still reads this, but at about 7:30 of the title track it sounds like Bruce sings-

"I have filled my life to the full"

Even though all lyric sheets I've seen have it as

"I have lived my life to the full"

Surely I can't be the only one who hears this?

Maybe something with "lift" but definitely not "filled".

This song is now one of my faves for the album! Amazing intro IMO, and the second section is great. It could be used halfway through a set to slow things down a little.

mtmccox said:
Maybe something with "lift" but definitely not "filled".

Lift doesn't even make sense....

Still sounds like filled to me.  Oh well, it's a small thing.

I'm still not totally sold on the juxtaposition of these two songs.  Satellite is this crazy otherworldly sounding track and The Final Frontier follows and it's just so plain.  I do like the melodies though and the solos are some of the best on the album.

Daily Song: Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

A unique opener that has led to a lot of varied opinions. I like it and never skip the opener. TFF itself is a straight-forward rocker, but with some cool overtones. I give this an 8, almost a 9. Best opener since The Wicker Man.

Re: Daily Song: Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier

Satellite 15: Good idea done wrong. I HATE programmed drums. I know it's a demo, but the production quality on this song is really bad. It's kinda catchy, so it gets 4/10.

The Final Frontier: I dunno why, but the beginning of the song reminds me of The Rolling Stones. It's a great song, but a bad opener. I think that the opening songs should be faster. Lyrics are great. 8/10.

Satellite 15...The Final Frontier: 6/10 :)

NightProwler666 said:
Satellite 15: Good idea done wrong. I HATE programmed drums.
Programmed drums can be great - Sometimes you won't even notice they are programmed.

These are however crap programmed drums.  :innocent:

Anyways, I agree with your assessment. Satellite is lacking while The Final Frontier is a good song.

I always skip Satellite and jump straight into the real track.

Cool way to start an album, it reminds me of the Blade Runner intro/Caught Somewhere in Time.   I like it and give it a solid 7.

Second best Reunion opener. The Final Frontier part is average, a really basic riff and classic Reunion opener methods. It would be 6 or 7 for The Final Frontier. But the intro A.K.A. Satellite 15 makes it a 8. I love Maiden's progressive works !

10/10. I'm going to give this one a high rating even though I can't stand the Satellite 15 part, and skip it every time. The Final Frontier section is strong enough to overcome how much I dislike the first part. I think it's grown into my favourite opener...  a great riff, and both solos are blinding. I hope to listen to this one on my deathbed...

Worst Maiden opener. Even Tailgunner is better. 5

Since this follows the same patter as the last three openers, I give it a 5. Because it is even less creative, I give it a 4. S15 is amazing though and I really like it. So it wins 3 points. 7/10

Black Thunder said:
Satellite lacks a bit, but TFF is awesome delivery!

Agree entirely. It's not even the music/mood setting of Satellite 15 that grates, it's when Bruce's vocals come in. If they had just done a musical intro to set the mood then launched into TFF, it would have been much better. First time I heard it, first time for the album, I was really worried that the whole album was going to be crap, but was reassured at the TFF portion. C'est la vie.

One of Maiden's best openers ever! Satellite 15 is the perfect buildup, and The Final Frontier is an amazing rocker with a great solo and a fun story the whole way through!

Initially, I had this as one of their best openers - but of late, it's sort of gone down a bit. Still, it's a good track and I think a good idea in the way it's been put together. 8/10.

The best opener since Caught Somewhere in Time.  I consider Satellite 15...The Final Frontier to be a single epic song with an atmospheric build-up and so skipping the first half of the song would be an outrageous act of treason against Maiden...akin to skipping the long intro to Sign of the Cross. No way! The subtle use of acoustic guitars (hello A Space Oddity) during the TFF portion and the minor chords adds to the feel of isolation in space and both Adrian and Dave pull off solos that send my mind beyond the planets of our solar system.  The chorus is totally anthemic.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
so skipping the first half of the song would be an outrageous act of treason against Maiden...
Guilty as charged.  :p

Back