Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier

How good is Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Satellite 15....The Final Frontier

I loved The Final Frontier section of the song after hearing it but, like many probably, I was unsure about the Satellite 15... portion until earlier today, I turned the speakers up loud and played the album from the beginning and found myself lost in the atmosphere of the song, it's great, different but wonderful at the same time!

Did Steve or Adrian ever say when exactly the Sat 15 demo was recorded? It sounds sonically close to Somewhere In Time. And it would fit the theme of that album quite well.

Sounds like something from Accident of Birth to me.

Forostar said:
Look Travis, when you wonder if people hear 2 or 3 solos in the opening track, then go to the topic of that specific song (or the solo topic: see, you have enough choice to draw attention) and do your stuff.

I'd appreciate it if you don't open a topic for every question you want to ask. You regularly start unnecessary topics, where instead you sometimes can use other threads to put in your thoughts.

I am not a mod but I assume they have enough work to do, and personally I think it's annoying to see all these "double topics".

Thanks, much appreciated.
Yes, I have to keep that in mind when starting new threads. I'm guilty of it, but I don't think I'm that bad of an offender. I haven't started a new thread for EVERY question, but I need to try and not do it at all.

People saying the beginning (Satellite 15) is not good. I liked it so much. Maybe it's so fucking different. But it's good I think.

To me Satellite 15 is a very pink floydish-sounding maiden, which of course can only be a good thing. Another plus is H came up with this idea while fishing...or am I mistaken? Well Scifi and fish means one thing to me....Douglas Adams, which is another great thing.

If Sat 15 opens each show I couldn't be happier for it to open the album. In fact, Wildest Dreams and Different World (and dare I say Wicker Man) could have all benefited if the opening music for each tour preceded each song as album opener. Ok, due to copyright this wouldn't be possible but in a non-capitalist world it would have been fine. 

Satellite 15 would be epic intro music.

Imagine it, the lights in the arena go out, total darkness, the crowd quiets.
Then piercing through the black, those tentative first  chords, soon followed by the pulsating, driving rythm.
Then before you know what's happening, you are brought back down to earth and the lights burst on and Maiden starts playing Final Frontier.

I think I would just about die from the insanity.

I think it would be cool if the lights drop and you hear the Satellite 15 intro, but instead of the part where Bruce sings being taped, he kinda appears on a lone piece of stage, standing up and over everyone, and he sings that bit, and then when TFF hits, the rest of the band comes running out.

LooseCannon said:
I think it would be cool if the lights drop and you hear the Satellite 15 intro, but instead of the part where Bruce sings being taped, he kinda appears on a lone piece of stage, standing up and over everyone, and he sings that bit, and then when TFF hits, the rest of the band comes running out.

Brilliant.

They might even consider it if they thought of it but they probably haven't.

Just to clarify;

Satellite 15 was composed and recorded by Adrian Smith alone on his DAW. They just put Bruce's vocals in the studio, and that's it.
Technically, Adrian should be added to the list of Iron Maiden producers  :D

Also, this is the first time in the history of the band where a complete song (ok, half of the song) was played / recorded by only one member.

The "bass" pharse in the beginning sounds like arpegiattor in 1-4-6-7-1H-1H-4-6-7 sequence, computed from several root notes throughout the song. Also, it could be full MIDI transcription, speed up - very similar to Floyd's On The Run. Electronic drums sound like Roland's SC-55, "power" preset, with a lot of reverb on the toms, increased attack on the snare + 95% dry bass drum. With a small cut-off each eight beat.

And, there is definitely an acoustic guitar track throughout main song.

Zare said:
Just to clarify;

Satellite 15 was composed and recorded by Adrian Smith alone on his DAW. They just put Bruce's vocals in the studio, and that's it.

I wish his voice was louder in the mix. It's harder to hear what he says and sings, compared to the rest of the album.

@LC: big chance they're going to do that. Would be awesome.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Yes, I have to keep that in mind when starting new threads. I'm guilty of it, but I don't think I'm that bad of an offender. I haven't started a new thread for EVERY question, but I need to try and not do it at all.

Thanks. :)
I read your request about me scanning the booklet, but I haven't much possibilities and time to do this.
Hope you'll get the real works soon, ans enjoy it even more than the earlier leaked version.  :ok:

Xodus said:
Don't know if this is just my copy, but has anyone else noticed that during Sat 15 when the double bass kicks in, the snare starts to skip at the start of every bar? Sounds like a horrible editing error. I kinda hope it wasn't intentional, because it sounds crap.  :huh:
It's not a defect exactly, you're just hearing where the drum-loop starts over. That's actually what clued me in that it was a drum machine rather than Nicko.

Zare said:
Just to clarify;

Technically, Adrian should be added to the list of Iron Maiden producers  :D

Also, this is the first time in the history of the band where a complete song (ok, half of the song) was played / recorded by only one member.

The "bass" pharse in the beginning sounds like arpegiattor in 1-4-6-7-1H-1H-4-6-7 sequence, computed from several root notes throughout the song. Also, it could be full MIDI transcription, speed up - very similar to Floyd's On The Run. Electronic drums sound like Roland's SC-55, "power" preset, with a lot of reverb on the toms, increased attack on the snare + 95% dry bass drum. With a small cut-off each eight beat.

And, there is definitely an acoustic guitar track throughout main song.

I knew it! Nobody believed me when I said it.
;)

Zeppelin88 said:
I knew it! Nobody believed me when I said it.
;)

+1 confirm - I knew I heard that in the radio rip / music vid!  Sounds so full and warm.

Although Zare confirmed it, I'd also say that it's definitely a drum machine - every note on the double kick sounds identical and pretty unnatural.

Thanks Zare  :)

Zare said:

I believe this is the reason not two have two separated songs here : It would have been a shame to have a full song drum machined, wouldn't be ?  ;)

The first half of this song should be a separate track.  Sometimes I just need to hear TFF without hearing satellite 15.  I'm gonna split it on my iPod, but it irritates me because all the tracks after it will be off...

Anyways, the intro is cool.  The "skipping" really bothers me though.  I cringe at the start of each bar.  Oh well.  Love the crazy guitar strum after the silence, when "dicko's" voice comes in. 

The final frontier is an incredible first song though. I don't understand the non-love.  It makes me air guitar like a mother.  The riff is just great, and I love the solo!  Repetitive chorus, but not disturbingly so. 

9/10 for me.  Best intro song since sign of the cross.

I'm especially glad they stopped making Wicker Man clones as the openers, that was getting extremely old.  One of my favorites off the album.  :shred:

Back