Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier

How good is Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier

Damn, I want to give this song a lower rating than 5. This song is absolute garbage.

This is easily 10 for me. Satellite 15... who ever would have expected something like that from Maiden, especially on their 15th album? Shows the creative fire is still there and they are willing to experiment. Bruce's haunting vocals really sets the stage for the Final Frontier. The Final Frontier has some parts in common with other Maiden openers, but differs in the hook and melody, which have been trapped in my head since last August. Yes, the chorus is another of those repeat the name of the song a bunch of times, but it fits in with the rest of the song and given the brevity and energy of the song this repetition doesn't drag this song, like some of the repetitive bits in a song like The Longest Day. Lyrcially the song is intriguing and fits in with Maiden's other songs that deal with approaching death, the solos are ripping and the acoustic guitar is a great flourish. 10! 10! 10!

Sat15 is nice, but it drags a bit, and it clearly shows signs of unfinished work. On the other hand, the transition to Final Frontier is phenomenal, song itself is a one-riff-wonder, however that acoustic-backed riff is catchy as hell. Adrian and Dave's solos set the standard high, which maintains itself throughout the record.

Zare said:
Sat15 is nice, but it drags a bit, and it clearly shows signs of unfinished work. On the other hand, the transition to Final Frontier is phenomenal, song itself is a one-riff-wonder, however that acoustic-backed riff is catchy as hell. Adrian and Dave's solos set the standard high, which maintains itself throughout the record.

This, basically. In addition, the lyrics are original. The entire number is quite different from anything off AMOLAD, even though the formula for TFF proper is very straight-forward (verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solos-verse-chorus-repeat chorus). It's not one of the strongest in the "8" bunch in my book, but an 8 nevertheless.

The first part is a fine build-up that does create a lot of tension towards the end, but could have been a minute or two shorter. The rest of the song is a great, uplifting rocker with a great hook line. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it is a great tune to sing along to. 7/10, because the "Satellite" part does drag a bit.

Vap said:
Damn, I want to give this song a lower rating than 5. This song is absolute garbage.

Kind of harsh, don't you think? That dude is stranded in space! ;)

'Satellite 15...The Final Frontier' has great lyrics, solos, vocals, chorus. Everything is perfect. This is the best (promo) single together with 'Rainmaker'. I clicked with this song from the outset. I think this is my favourite song from the album with 'The Talisman' close behind; best Maiden opener thus far (10/10)

It's tough not to see this as two songs crammed together so I'll review them so-

I actually think Satellite 15 is pretty damn cool.  I don't think real drums would have given that same sense of space that I get from the fake drums.  I love the part where Bruce comes in as well, great vocals.  8/10

The Final Frontier on the other hand is just too basic for me.  It's pretty much the same chord sequence varied slightly for 4 minutes.  I understand the sentiment behind the lyrics but think they could have been done better.  I'd give it a 6/10

In total, the song gets a 7 from me and is my least favorite song off the new album.

It occurs to me that I haven't written much about The Final Frontier on this board, so I'll take this opportunity to comment on the songs.

I don't really know about this one. The opening is new and interesting and all that, but quite frankly it's not very good. Making a song out of creepy sound effects is living on a razor's edge, and "Satellite 15" falls off on the side of boredom (the other side is silliness, in case you wonder). The second part isn't really remarkable at all, though it's basically good. I like the bridge. A 6/10 overall.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
The best opener since Caught Somewhere in Time.
What about Sign Of The Cross?  :(

Stallion Duck said:
What about Sign Of The Cross?  :(

The distortion-free production of TXF costs Sign of the Cross which is an amazing epic but the poor production makes it less enjoyable to listen to than Sat 15...TFF.  Plus the solos aren't quite as cool.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
The distortion-free production of TXF costs Sign of the Cross which is an amazing epic but the poor production makes it less enjoyable to listen to than Sat 15...TFF.  Plus the solos aren't quite as cool.
Well I try to leave the production out of rating a song. I agree on the solos though. SIT probably has the best solos on a maiden album.

Satellite 15 is really unique to the Maiden catalogue, something really outside the box. That said, I'm not really a huge fan of it with the drum machine or computer drums or whatever they are. The production is also really poor (but expected due to it basically being a demo or unfinished). 6/10 on it's own.

The Final Frontier is more of your standard rocker, but a pretty good one nevertheless. Quite catchy and has very good solos. 8/10 on it's own.

All in all, Satellite 15 is worse than than The Final Frontier, but together they get a 7/10.

Unknown One said:
Satellite 15 is really unique to the Maiden catalogue, something really outside the box. That said, I'm not really a huge fan of it with the drum machine or computer drums or whatever they are. The production is also really poor (but expected due to it basically being a demo or unfinished). 6/10 on it's own.

The Final Frontier is more of your standard rocker
, but a pretty good one nevertheless. Quite catchy and has very good solos. 8/10 on it's own.

All in all, Satellite 15 is worse than than The Final Frontier, but together they get a 7/10.
Which is part of the reason I don't like it. Far too standard.

The "real" song itself I do not find that phenomenal, musically, but the lyrics I find very intriguing and I see a connection between these and the lyrics of The Apparition (see my post in that topic, if interested). The intro makes sense to me, naturally the lyrics have an integral role, but the music itself is special as well. And therefore the connection makes sense.

I'd give Satellite 15, 10/10 even if it was a track in it's self, the addition of the Final Frontier track is just the icing on the cake. Satellite 15 kicks in your front door with drama, tension, panic and anxiety, the pre-programmed bass and drums are fuckin' wicked, the tom drums sound almost tribal. The wail of the guitars cut though the composition like razors, adding to the drama, the alarms/sirens in the background also add to the sense of urgency, an excellent touch. Maiden trying new things and succeeding. The Final Frontier is a pretty standard Maiden track with no surprises but a very good song nonetheless, rock out in style, excellent guitar soloing. I give the whole thing 10/10.

The main song is very catchy — incredibly simple and irresistible at the same time. Well-sung with a great straightahead, fist-pumping groove. Love Dave’s slippery solo. The intro is a nice mood-setter when I have the patience for it. I would have like see what it would have sounded like as a full band track, the way H wanted. Nine.

8. The intro sounds interesting, with a Voivod kind of vibe with weird chords, but Bruce singing during this jusr made it drag and drag and it makes it boring. When the actual song bursts in, then all things fall into place: a simple, standard Maiden kind of single with amazing solos by H and Dave and a catchy chorus. People were slagging it as soon it hit the net, but I always had a great feeling with this song, cool acoustics during the pre chorus and it reminded me what kind of album following Seventh Son would sound.

Back