1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Iron Maiden' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is Sanctuary on a scale of 1-10

1. 10

3.9%
  2. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8

21.6%
  4. 7

25.5%
  5. 6

19.6%
  6. 5

17.6%
  7. 4

2.0%
  8. 3

9.8%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

Better than the opener. A very energetic song, and Steve does a lot of cool stuff with his bass. Also like the riffs and guitar solos. Also excellent live. 8/10

2. I was playing it on the guitar the other day, using the A Real Dead One tab book I think. Since the main riff is a bit reminiscent of "Matchbox" (the Carl Perkins song covered by the Beatles) I automatically played it with a tiny bit of swing like I'm used to with these kind of riffs. Then a lightbulb lit up above my head: this is a metallized rockabilly song in disguise. Playing the rest of the song with swing sounds perfect, and playing a 50s rock'n'roll type solo on it is awesome. (In fact, I got used so quickly yo playing it like that that now the rhythm in the original Maiden version feels a bit stiff).

Now I have an idea for a "surprising" cover version. Thanks, Maiden!

PS: I forgot to say that my favourite version is not the single, nor any of the Bruce versions, but the BBC version from 1979. Now that's an energetic Sanctuary for you. The worst version however is the Metal for Muthas version. It's amazing how a recording studio environment can intimidate a band into playing it meek...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    CriedWhenBrucieLeft likes this.
  3. mirtilo

mirtilo Nomad

I love the bass lines in this song. 8/10

4. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Not a fan of this. Good energy and the chorus gives you hope it's going somewhere but it's just quite a bit below the standard of later Maiden stuff and even the standard of this album.

5. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

Sanctuary...
    During this listen it didn't seem on par with Prowler. It seemed like a filler. Still great solos on this one.

Filler.
    6/10

6. The Reverend

The Reverend Invader

Repetitively energetic stop-start rocker with some good solos.
    Highlight: The instrumental section
    Lowlight: The mid-song restarts
    6/10

7. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

A pretty good song, not the greatest ever, but I love the raw feel, and it's the kinda thing I'd expect to hear on a classic rock station. 7/10