Sabaton

So considering that I'm going to see Sabaton later next year. I figure I should probably get in to them more. What are some good songs? I've only listened to Ghost Division and 40:1

I'll get back to you in a week, but from my limited experience, I would definitely say the newest album, Carolus Rex. It seems to not get a huge favorable response from diehard Sabaton fans, but I think it's amazing. More than likely, they'll focus on this album during that tour, as well.

I'll have to listen to it. I just hope they play Ghost Division. That song is just killer.

I just listened to The Price of a Mile, and I must say it's really an enjoyable song. Probably my favorite of the 3 I've heard.

IMO Carolus Rex is terrible. Coat Of Arms is just OK, if a little bit too short. The Art Of War, Attero Dominatus and Primo Victoria are the real deal. Metalizer is really, really boring, and mostly doesn't even sound like Sabaton.

IMO Carolus Rex is terrible. Coat Of Arms is just OK, if a little bit too short. The Art Of War, Attero Dominatus and Primo Victoria are the real deal. Metalizer is really, really boring, and mostly doesn't even sound like Sabaton.
Metalizer was supposed to be their debut album, but some legal ramifications caused them to postpone the release, and they came up with Primo Victoria instead. Metalizer was released when Sabaton had grew fairly popular already.

Edit: no wait. It's apparently just recorded for a demo release called Fist for Fight, although released as an limited edition CD.

I would agree that Coat of Arms feels short, but I love it all the same. I actually really enjoy Carolus Rex, I think I would put Art of War as the best.

I know that :p Metalizer and Fist For Fight have similar tracklist, but are two different recordings :)

The whole Metalizer/FfF thing confused the hell out of me when I researching the discography.

I find Coat of Arms to be solid, but nowhere near as memorable as Carolus Rex. After a couple tunes, most of the songs sound the same. Thoroughly enjoyable, but short and a little muddy, IMO. I'm glad I listened to Carolus Rex first so that I don't share the same "the old stuff was better" attitude that most fans seem to have.

I rather discover bands from oldest work to last instead of the other way. Like that I feel I value the originality of the old stuff more. I think it provides me a good perspective because it can show me a band's development.
Carolus Rex has a song with an insanely annoying hallalujah vocal line in the couplets. The singer couldn't even do it live (he let someone else sing it). Might be the second song. I don't even want to look it up. Horrid memories during an otherwise fine gig in Stockholm.

It sounds overly happy and ecstatic. And on top: it has a stupid, bland melody.

But I have complained about it more than enough to you IRL, by doing some caricature imitations . :)

I have a feeling I know which song you mean, it's probably A Lifetime of War/En Livstid i Krig. I can't find it to sound very happy at all. It sounds over the top cheesy elegiac, but that's what I expect from Sabaton anyway.

It's Gott Mit Uns. A Lifetime of War is also difficult for me compared to the average Sabaton because I find it kind of dragging (repetitive). And the bombastic chorus is a bit like Eagle Fly Free in slow motion. ;)

I prefer stuff like this:
That riff starting at 0.29 :notworthy:

Gott Mit Uns? That's a fantastic song! It's wicked happy melody is part of it's appeal!

Eh yeah. Doesn't work for me I am afraid. I certainly see its appeals to others. I saw ten thousands of Vikings rocking to that song.

I don't see what's wrong with the album. Lion from the North, Gott Mit Uns, A Lifetime of War, Carolus Rex, Poltava... all classic Sabaton material.

Back