Rush

Top 5 Rush Albums/Next Band

• Total voters
I guess this topic would serve. The last one was only six months ago, so why not keep it?

Rush week or not, I often use "week"-topics if I want to post anything about a band like Priest, Floyd or Rush (although there's also a Rush-tour topic?), whenever I feel like.

I actually had a crazy idea back when Rush week happened. What if we did a discography discussion for them? We talk about an album for a day or two and then move down the discography. Could be fun. I wanted to do this for Iron Maiden, but Rush could be a good test run.

Thank you Sixes and Mosh for answering :) . I'll try not to skip the 90s in my Rush discovery trip, though, bearing in mind that I don't agree with what many people think about that period for Maiden.

I actually had a crazy idea back when Rush week happened. What if we did a discography discussion for them? We talk about an album for a day or two and then move down the discography. Could be fun. I wanted to do this for Iron Maiden, but Rush could be a good test run.

Isn't a day or two a short period of time ? From what I've heard, some records would deserve long discussions (or at least, I'd like to read what some of you think about certain songs).

I wouldn't take for granted that all the 1980s albums are better than the next decade, harrisdevot.
Take Hold Your Fire (1987). Apart from the opening track, I find it a dreadfully boring album.

You're welcome!

And Mosh: nice idea!

I haven't played some albums in a while, so that's a nice addition. I am in! I agree with harrisdevot that I rather have more days. A week would be OK; I am afraid I don't have time to play a whole album every evening. We could have a Rush Summer. :)

edit:
At the same time I am doubting, because how different would this idea be from the last (recent!) survivor we did. We did discuss every album and lots of songs in depth. Naturally some people didn't take part, but I guess most of what I will say won't be much different.

I'm also in for the week per album deal. Then we don't have to "rush" through the discography (har har) one or two days per album would be too little time and some of us might not be here certain days etc.

One album per week would be ideal for the late starter I'm. I would try to listen to the album you are discussing, taking part when I can, reading you otherwise.

Something like that would be terrific. Not just for Rush, though. I'm desperately looking for places on this forum to talk about stuff of other bands.

Counterparts is actually among my top five Rush albums.
As for the other '90s stuff, Test for Echo and Roll The Bones have some good songs. All Rush albums do. But they are duller and shallower than most of their stuff.
The late '80s are synth-heavy. Good writing and playing, but if you are looking to rock out, you will be disappointed.
And I'm always into talking about Rush. Concert only two months away!

The one album per week would be ideal for the late starter I'm. I would try to listen to the album you are discussing, taking part when I can, reading you otherwise.

I'd recommend we do the albums chronologically. Just because it would make the most sense. One album leads as a springboard to the next and we can discuss their development from album to album this way too.

I'd be in on this. Harrisdevot, you say your most recent purchase is Counterparts -- what else have you already heard?

In my view, Rush's "golden" period was their incredible run starting with 2112 and ending with Signals. Their first three albums had some good moments but were pretty uneven, and they hadn't really mastered the art of songwriting yet. The albums after Signals likewise had some high points, but as noted above, that's when Rush became immersed in synthesizers and mainstream pop. Yet, despite their choice to become a pop band, their ability to write hooks or melodies that catch your ear seemed to decline, and those albums lacked a certain spark. Grace Under Pressure still has several great songs, but from start to finish it is a far cry (did you see that, a Rush-related pun!) from all-time classics like Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves. Occasionally they would knock a particular song out of the park, like the awesome track, "The Pass," from the otherwise so-so Presto album, but most of their post-Signals output is largely forgettable. This includes Counterparts, which marked a welcome return to guitar-oriented hard rock, and although the quality of the playing is still excellent, the songs themselves are not all that memorable, except "Nobody's Hero," which is easily the best track on that album, IMO.

I'm kinda blank on the period after Signals. My collection of Rush albums stops at that album. I've heard most of the ones after though, save maybe a couple, but not thoroughly. So that is an era I am looking forward to dwelling into and discussing with you guys.

I wouldn't take for granted that all the 1980s albums are better than the next decade, harrisdevot.
Take Hold Your Fire (1987). Apart from the opening track, I find it a dreadfully boring album.
Agreed. One of my least favorite albums. That said, the other 80's albums rule, Grace Under Pressure is in my top 5.

Isn't a day or two a short period of time ? From what I've heard, some records would deserve long discussions (or at least, I'd like to read what some of you think about certain songs).
That was just off the top of my head, but I won't start the next album until discussion has died down. If a week is necessary, then I'll leave it up for a week, but I feel like it might be a bit much for some albums. We'll see.

At the same time I am doubting, because how different would this idea be from the last (recent!) survivor we did. We did discuss every album and lots of songs in depth. Naturally some people didn't take part, but I guess most of what I will say won't be much different.
Well, I actually was inspired by that survivor. We did discuss albums but I think we could have much more in depth discussions. Hopefully including people who didn't play, like Harrisdevot.

I'd recommend we do the albums chronologically. Just because it would make the most sense. One album leads as a springboard to the next and we can discuss their development from album to album this way too.
I wouldn't do it any other way.

Glad you guys like the idea! I'll get this started soon. One more question, should I open a new thread for every album or just have everything in one thread? I don't want to open 20 topics on Rush but if that's what y'all want, let me know. After Rush I'd love to do this for Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Maybe other bands too. Like Flash, I'm looking to discuss stuff like this all the time.

One thread, maybe even this one. We could take turns opening each album with a review, then everybody can feed off that.

Agreed. One of my least favorite albums. That said, the other 80's albums rule, Grace Under Pressure is in my top 5.

That was just off the top of my head, but I won't start the next album until discussion has died down. If a week is necessary, then I'll leave it up for a week, but I feel like it might be a bit much for some albums. We'll see.

Well, I actually was inspired by that survivor. We did discuss albums but I think we could have much more in depth discussions. Hopefully including people who didn't play, like Harrisdevot.

I wouldn't do it any other way.

Glad you guys like the idea! I'll get this started soon. One more question, should I open a new thread for every album or just have everything in one thread? I don't want to open 20 topics on Rush but if that's what y'all want, let me know. After Rush I'd love to do this for Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Maybe other bands too. Like Flash, I'm looking to discuss stuff like this all the time.

One thread indeed. I guess this one would be fine but I'd quite like it if we started a new thread actually just so that it is up to date and the first page starts with discussions of Rush (1974) instead of us starting inside the middle of a thread like this one...This one could of course still be kept as a more general thread.

I'm gonna start a new thread. Unfortunately I can't change titles anymore, so instead of bugging the mods I'll just call it "Rush Discography Discussion" or something.

I'd be in on this. Harrisdevot, you say your most recent purchase is Counterparts -- what else have you already heard?.

Thanks for these precisions. The very first album album is their last one. This made a HUGE impression on me : the bass sound, the quality of vocal melodies, the lyrics, Lee's voice, everything seems perfect, or very close to perfection. Then, I bought :
- Moving Pictures (love it, but I needed more time to get into it),
- 2112 (Overture, The Temple of Syrinx, A Passage to Bangkok and Something for Nothing made an immediate impression, but the other songs, especially the other and slower parts of the 2112-suite demanded more time),
- A Farewell to Kings (great).
- Counterparts : equallly divided beetween songs I don't like that much and numbers I really love : Animate, Double Agent, Hero my faves. Some years ago, I would have said these are commercial hard-rock, but nowadays I don't care anymore about these silly classifications, and I love the vocal melodies (some choruses sound like vocal harmonies althought there is a single vocal track) and the sound.

I've listened to 5 more albums on the Internet, via You Tube, but only twice or 3 times, and it's not enough to get a clear impression and make an opinion. I don't want to do the same mistake twice and ignore an album just because my first impression was mediocre. You can see I'm a starter, but I'm doing my homework seriously.

Back