Rush

Top 5 Rush Albums/Next Band

• Total voters
I didn't know the poll would be closed already. That was not necessary at all to be honest, though I hadn't stated it explicitly. I guess it can't be reopened?

Clockwork Angles isn't in my top five but it's close. I've got one pretty controversial choice in my top 5 - Power Windows - because right now I happen to like it a lot. Other times it might be A Farewell To Kings, sometimes even Signals. Clockwork Angels is such a great album it might be a top 5 album for me sometime. As for my favorite album, it's Moving Pictures.

I've found myself really liking the songs Jacob's Ladder and The Body Electric lately. I think we killed Jacob's Ladder too soon in the survivor.
Looks like I agree somewhat with Vap. I have been in constant doubt if the number five spot should be Power Windows or Clockwork Angels. As opposed to others who don't like the poppier songwriting and softer productions of the 1980s I am less bothered by these aspects because they do not filter away the quality of the songwriting, the melodies and the musicianship.

These are my favourite 5 albums:

1. Moving Pictures --> short review here:
2. Grace Under Pressure
3. A Farewell to Kings
4. Signals
5. Power Windows

Some years ago, I'd probably have this:

1. Moving Pictures
2. Grace Under Pressure
3. Farewell to Kings
4. Hemispheres
5. Permanent Waves

But as time progressed I've come to realize that Hemispheres has the for me less exciting book II of Cygnus (overlong with some duller moments) and the second half of La Villa Strangiato isn't that great either, nor is Circumstances.

Permanent Waves: I am not a big fan of Entre Nous and the overrated opening track, The Spirit of Radio, with its exaggerated hallalujah vibe, and the second half of Natural Science.

On Kings and Pictures, the longer songs are great from beginning til the end.

Clockwork Angels is indeed a strong album, and even though it's very different from Power Windows, I appreciate these albums about as much. For now I vote Power Windows, because I think it deserves more support on this forum (would have voted for Clockwork if hardly anyone else would have selected it).

Signals is an album I did not like very much in the beginning, but it has gotten stronger with every listening. A song that landed a little late was Losing it. A brilliant piece of music and singing.

I agree with Vap that Jacob's Ladder is an excellent song (probably the best from the album) but that's not enough to give Permanent Waves a high rating.

Grace Under Pressure is the one but best Rush album. It contains the spellbinding Afterimage. One of the catchiest songs Rush has ever made. It's in my top 5 of favourite Rush songs. An emotional song, with a midpiece intermezzo that has a kind of sci-fi feel, haunting stuff. Actually the melodies are good thoughout the whole song. Geddy is very good on it. Heartfelt lyrics & singing! Music can be so powerful to give feelings a place.

This one is not a very new vid but still nice. I like to see Peart explaining things amidst and on behalf of the "whole" band, something that didn't happen much in the past. But Geddy spares his voice. ;-)
Peart explains how much they prepare to deliver the tour with a certain quality.

I've always seen Peart as sort of the commander of operations in Rush. He is the one pulling all the strings, taking care of the logistics, writing all the lyrics etc. He is like the Steve Harris or the Mike Portnoy (before he got sacked in DT) of Rush.

I never saw it that way even though it looks like that in this vid. Geddy Lee and Lifeson do most interviews and take the initiative for a new album. They do the music with the two of them for quite a while before Peart comes in the "moving" picture. Also Peart has more distance with the fanbase. He does not like it. He's quite a loner in that. Leaves on his motorbike as soon as the gig is over. So I find him quite the opposite of 'Arry. Very dedicated to the performance, lyrics and music and the concept of an album, but less dedicated to the whole thing around it. When one is in command, one needs to be in charge of more than that.

That is odd because I have always felt Peart was the mastermind behind everything they did. I mean, he writes the concepts for every album, usually. He doesn't write everything of course but the albums are by far Peart's visions. He just lets Lifeson and Geddy do the interviews because he doesn't particularly like to do them himself. It is boring to talk to journalists you know ;) Hmm, Steve is OK with the fan base, but he doesn't go out of the way to interact with fans like some other bands do. I would Steve is very much a quiet guy too.

With Rush, it starts with music. Without Peart. Then Peart joins, tries to fit lyrics and drums.

I definitely got the same sense Foro got, as opposed to Sixes. The Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary is fantastic and moving, and if it fairly presents the relationship between the three guys, it is definitely Geddy and Alex who are driving the bus musically--and more Geddy than Alex, as evidenced by the albums in which synths dominate the guitars, still a sore spot for Alex. Peart would probably be a jazz drummer if left to his own musical whims. While they both obviously care deeply for Peart, and would have ended the band if Peart did not come back from his self-imposed exile after losing his wife and daughter, they are much closer personally to each other than they are to Peart. They are the founders and have been friends since childhood; they amusingly still refer to Peart as "the new guy." Though I imagine Peart is somewhat more involved in the collaborative process and musical choices than Foro lets on.

EDIT: I think the comparison to Steve Harris doesn't apply to any of them. Maiden is Harris' band. He's definitely the boss, no question about it. I think Rush is much more democratic, but again, Peart is less influential on the musical direction of the band. Clearly, he controls the lyrics, but I do seem to recall hearing that making Clockwork Angels a concept album was Geddy's idea, not Neil's.

Neil has his (huge) role, but everything musically starts with Al and Ged, pretty much equally. they still jokingly refer to Neil as the new guy. Watch beyond the Lighted Stage, best rock doc ever.

Cool guys, thanks for clearing it up. I have never really digged into Rush as far as how they work and their history etc. Good to know. I always thought he was the driving force. It is amazing how well the music and the lyrics go together sometimes I would say. Really a band where everything just *clicks* when they get together.

I heard an interview with Neil where he said that he came up with the story while hiking at Red Rocks, Colorado with the guy who helped write the Clockwork Angels novel. This was on the Time Machine tour. But it still could've very well been Geddy's idea.

Rush's lyrics have always been interesting to me. I can hear Neil's personality through Geddy's singing. So I kinda see where Sixes is coming from. With bands like Iron Maiden, I don't think of Steve Harris when Bruce is singing his lyrics. At least not in the same way as I think of Neil when I hear Geddy singing. That's one of his biggest strong points as a lyricist I think.

RUSH accepts their 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction w/ a speech from all members.
This should especially be awesome to Rush fans who are also lovers of the Foo Fighters. :)

I have a few questions for Rush fans here. I only recently got into the band, and I really LOVE what I'm discovering. As I said before, I deeply regret my misconceptions about them, as I thought they were just a commercial hard-rock band. So I buy their albums, one by one and very slowy so I've got the time to explore them. My last buy is "Counterparts". There are some songs I don't get in, but others, like Animate, Double Agent or Hero are fantastic. Trying to document myself about the band, I got the impression that this album, and this era of the band, are not very highly rated. Am I wrong ? And if not, what's the problem with that record ? The more "commercial" sound? And last question : is there another weak album in Rush discography, something that would be the equivalent of No Prayer or Virtual XI to many Maiden fans?
Thanks in advance to those who would mind to answer.

We should have a new Rush week. I'm up for exploring their albums once more from the beginning. Although I only have up to 82' Signals.

As for your question harrisdevot. Yes, basically Rush ran into the same issues as Maiden did in the 90s. An ailing interest for metal and classic rock in general. The 90s albums are like Maiden's their least popular material. In particular albums like Roll The Bones and Test For Echo. Counterparts is sort of well received, at least to my knowledge. One of their better albums from that era of the band.

We should have a new Rush week. I'm up for exploring their albums once more from the beginning. Although I only have up to 82' Signals.
Sure. I wouldn't be against bringing back bands week if people want to play again. Should we use this thread or make a new one?

I have a few questions for Rush fans here. I only recently got into the band, and I really LOVE what I'm discovering. As I said before, I deeply regret my misconceptions about them, as I thought they were just a commercial hard-rock band. So I buy their albums, one by one and very slowy so I've got the time to explore them. My last buy is "Counterparts". There are some songs I don't get in, but others, like Animate, Double Agent or Hero are fantastic. Trying to document myself about the band, I got the impression that this album, and this era of the band, are not very highly rated. Am I wrong ? And if not, what's the problem with that record ? The more "commercial" sound? And last question : is there another weak album in Rush discography, something that would be the equivalent of No Prayer or Virtual XI to many Maiden fans?
Thanks in advance to those who would mind to answer.
You're right, the 90's were meh for Rush. With that said, Counterparts is an exceptionally good album, one of their best even. There's a new energy on the album and the songs just rock.

Besides the ones you mentioned, Between Sun and Moon, Alien Shore, and Leave That Thing Alone are also favorites of mine.

Back