1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rush

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Mosh, Dec 3, 2012.

?

Top 5 Rush Albums/Next Band

1. Rush

4.9%
  2. Fly By Night

2.4%
  3. Caress Of Steel

12.2%
  4. 2112

31.7%
  5. A Farewell To Kings

36.6%
  6. Hemispheres

36.6%
  7. Permanent Waves

63.4%
  8. Moving Pictures

82.9%
  9. Signals

26.8%
  10. Grace Under Pressure

43.9%
  11. Power Windows

24.4%
  12. Hold Your Fire

14.6%
  13. Presto

4.9%
  14. Roll The Bones

9.8%
  15. Counterparts

17.1%
  16. Test For Echo

4.9%
  17. Vapor Trails

9.8%
  18. Snakes & Arrows

14.6%
  19. Clockwork Angels

39.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Wow. I'm surprised they didn't just get Geddy to play on that too.

2. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

I guess they wanted one only Yes members song. Looking forward to see the footage!

3. Mosh

Probably, but Steve Howe hates that song and has been known to mess it up live on purpose.

4. Forostar

Great recording. Stunning to see Geddy taking this on so relaxed. What a bass player.

5. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

6. I really enjoy Grace Under Pressure.

For me they didn't truely become Rush until Moving Pictures.

I hope they do some more shows, if not a full scale tour.

7. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

Not gonna happen... Sadly. At least not with Neil.

8. Mosh

9. Mosh

JudasMyGuide likes this.
  10. Forostar

Very interesting. Not an easy decision. They might get criticism from some people, even if this is not called Rush. Rush music featuring the band without Peart is like Maiden music featuring the band without Dickinson, Harris or Murray (or any of the other members by now). Peart was as vital of the sound as any of the other two.

But we can't blame Lee and Lifeson for continuing music and for wanting to play Rush music. They use a different name. A very respectful and wise thing to do. Looking forward to it.

11. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

Nicko and Peart are of a same age, are they not?

12. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

I think if they play a few Rush songs here and there, like 25% of the set, it'll be alright. If it's basically them playing Rush with a different drummer, I'm not cool with it.

If not more so than Lifeson considering he wrote most of the songs lyrically and often arranged/wrote the music, as well.

13. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

Gotta disagree with that. Lifeson definitely wrote and arranged more music than Peart.
    Geddy's a genius and Peart writes the lyrics and is perhaps the best drummer in the world so I get why it happens, but Lifeson's contributions are consistently underrated.
    Rush is a tripod, each leg equally crucial to making it work.

I'll be interested in what Geddy and Alex come up with, and I encourage them to follow their muse wherever it takes them, even if it is a bunch of Rush songs with another drummer. But it will never be Rush.

14. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

I guess my phrasing wasn't the best. I'm definitely not trying to downplay Alex's contributions, but I agree with you 100% - Rush cannot exist without all three of those guys and the songs wouldn't exist without all three of those guys.

Chalk this up to another instance of "Mr. K Starts Posting Before Coffee" :D

15. Mosh

Lee and Lifeson did the music and Peart just did the lyrics, although I think lyrics often came first so he did have some control over the structure of the song. Some exceptions of course, like the handful of songs that Lee wrote lyrics for and YYZ which was mostly Lee and Peart.

16. Forostar

Yes, about. ;) Nicko is three months and one week older.