Rush Week on Maidenfans (Sep 7-13, 2009)

Who shall we discuss next week?

• Children Of Bodom (Perun)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Savatage / TSO / etc. (Natalie)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Alice Cooper (LC)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Saxon (Yax)

• Apocalyptica (Onhell)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Deep Purple (SMX)

• Total voters

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
<insert "Three Blind Mice" theme here>
It's Rush Week on Maidenfans!

Note: nominations are now closed. In the next 6 weeks, we'll discuss the bands in the poll ... the poll only determines the order in which we tackle them.

Because I have to leave somewhat soon for a Labor Day family gathering, I don't have time to post much here ...  but I will, since I love Rush.

For now, let me drop these random opinions:
1. The first side of Moving Pictures is the greatest album side ever recorded. Every note is perfect. Every song is awesome.
2. 2112 is overrated (both the song and the album) but still pretty damn good.
3. Since Moving Pictures, Rush has been good for a couple of great songs on each album, but they haven't had a masterpiece album in 28 years or so.
4. The first Rush album is great in its own way, as long as you don't compare it to their later work.
5. Few bands have had a four-album stretch as good as AFTK / Hemispheres / Permanent Waves / Moving Pictures. You can count the weak songs on one hand with fingers left over.

SinisterMinisterX said:
1. The first side of Moving Pictures is the greatest album side ever recorded. Every note is perfect. Every song is awesome.

Not quite, but it's pretty damn fantastic.

2. 2112 is overrated (both the song and the album) but still pretty damn good.

Agreed. I love the first two parts of "2112" ("Overture" and "The Temples of Syrinx"), but the rest of the album isn't that great really. The songs sound a lot better on All the World's a Stage.

3. Since Moving Pictures, Rush has been good for a couple of great songs on each album, but they haven't had a masterpiece album in 28 years or so.

I think Roll the Bones and Snakes and Arrows are really solid all the way through.

5. Few bands have had a four-album stretch as good as AFTK / Hemispheres / Permanent Waves / Moving Pictures. You can count the weak songs on one hand with fingers left over.

Indeed.

I've been getting into Caress of Steel a lot lately. "The Necromancer" and "The Fountain of Lamneth" may be fragmented to the breaking point, but many of the individual parts are excellent. It's probably the best of their early albums.

Shadow, did you stop voting in the Survivor topic? Just wondering. :) More than two voters would be cool!

I'd agree with Shade, that All The World's A Stage sounds great.  I was never a fan of the 'B' side of 2112, but the 'A' side is pretty fantastic to me.  Now, with Hemispheres, call me blasphemer, but I like side 'B' better 'A'.  I sort of lost interest with Power Windows, but am pretty fond of Presto and Roll The Bones (saw both of them in concert).

What really impresses me about Rush is that after decades Geddy Lee somehow sounds as good as ever, myabe even better now since he shows a bit more restraint on the annoyingly high sections. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd put Snakes and Arrows among Rush's best work.

Also, if anyone here has seen Rush live, how does Geddy Lee pull off vocals, bass, and keyboards?

Also, I'd like to nominate Kamelot for the next vote.

SinisterMinisterX said:
The first side of Moving Pictures is the greatest album side ever recorded. Every note is perfect. Every song is awesome.

I agree it is fantastic.  I'm trying to think of better album sides, so I'll get back to you on that.  (Top contender so far: side 2 [of 4] of Physical Graffiti, but I may still prefer the first side of Moving Pictures.  It's close.) 

My primary response to SMX, however, is that we shouldn't underestimate Side B.  Camera Eye, Witch Hunt and Vital Signs are all pretty damn good, too.  I think this is Rush's best album by a wide margin.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Few bands have had a four-album stretch as good as AFTK / Hemispheres / Permanent Waves / Moving Pictures. You can count the weak songs on one hand with fingers left over.

Few bands indeed.  I can think of a handful:  The Beatles (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and The White Album), The Rolling Stones (Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street), Maiden (NotB through SiT), Metallica (Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All), Led Zeppelin (IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, and Presence) and -- maybe -- the first four Queen albums.  That's it.  Pretty good company. 

[EDIT:  I forgot Pink Floyd (Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall).  Also, I know I'll get laughed off the forum for this, but R.E.M.'s first four albums were fairly noteworthy.  And I like them.  So f u.] 

Shadow said:
I think Roll the Bones and Snakes and Arrows are really solid all the way through.

Roll The Bones is the one I come closest to agreeing with - it's definitely my favorite post-Moving-Pictures album, though Grace Under Pressure is up there too.

Snakes And Arrows is very good, definitely growing on me still.

Forostar said:
Shadow, did you stop voting in the Survivor topic? Just wondering. :) More than two voters would be cool!

I haven't listened to the post-Moving Pictures 80s albums for some time, so I need to refresh my memory before I start voting again.

Helphyre said:
Also, if anyone here has seen Rush live, how does Geddy Lee pull off vocals, bass, and keyboards?

Really well when I saw them two years ago.

The only four album suites as good as ATFK-MP I can think of are Genesis' Foxtrot through A Trick of the Tail and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon through The Wall.

I have grown kind of tired of Tom Sawyer.

Lately I have learnt to appreciate Signals much more than a couple of years ago. I only still dislike the ..Man tracks, because of their dull chorusses and uncreative (or even lacking!) instrumental moments. Also I find the melodies under par compared with the other songs.

cornfedhick said:
Also, I know I'll get laughed off the forum for this, but R.E.M.'s first four albums were fairly noteworthy.  And I like them.  So f u.] 

No you won't. REM is a pretty good band in my opinion, for casual listening. In fact, I find myself happily humming or singing along to them from time to time.

Rush Week on Maidenfans Sep 7 13 2009

Youll be fine. I saw some kid on a stock Rush Hour ripping  up at Hellyer last year.

I sent him to his room so he can think about that.

Back