Rush Discography Discussion 2: Caress of Steel (1975)

Mosh

PM me your Nightwish album rankings!
Staff member
One album per week. All studio albums and 4 live albums, not going to do the recent ones, since those get pretty samey. Lets get this started

Rush (1974)
220px-Rush_self_titled.jpg

Rush's debut is a bit of an outcast compared to the rest of the discography. Before they began their conquest as the premier Canadian progressive rock group, they were Canada's Led Zeppelin. Powerful guitar, heavy hitting drums, and Geddy's high screeching vocals make this album what it is. We get a few teases on what direction Rush would eventually take, notably in "Working Man", but for the most part, this is a straightforward hard rock record. They would never make anything quite like it ever again in their career.

One thing that is instantly noticeable on this album is the absence of Neil Peart, who hadn't joined the band yet. Instead we have John Rutsey on drums, who would leave the band shortly after the release of this album due to medical problems and musical differences. Rutsey later passed away in 2008.

On top of the drums not having the highly technical edge of Neil Peart, the lyrics are also very primitive. Mostly being generic teenage rock lyrics. Though it does fit the music fine, these lyrics have nothing on what Peart would bring to the band later on. But we'll get to that.

Right now, not much to add to this, Mosh. Working Man is a very enjoyable song, perhaps the biggest classic and best loved song from the first three albums.

It was quite something when I saw them doing it live, some years ago. It came very late in the set. That roaring guitar intro gave goosebumps immediately.

But other than that they really sound a lot like Led Zeppelin on the debut. And I dislike Led Zeppelin. So I am glad they quickly evolved (somewhat) on the next album.

I can't really get into that song. I get why people like it but I never go out of my way to listen to it, or any of the debut for that matter. It does look fun live though.

Summed up my feelings pretty well Mosh.
But I am going to go back and really give the whoele album a listen - something I rarely do.

I tried that already. Had enough by the end of side A. :D

Mosh is selling this album short. It's not the Rush we've come to know and love, it is blues-based hard rock -- and thank goodness, because that is what broke them as a band (a Cleveland, Ohio radio station started playing "Working Man" and the rest is history). Good showcase for Alex Lifeson in particular, he really owns this album. I've always thought "Here Again" was an underrated track, and "What You're Doing" has a simple but enjoyable riff.

Summed up my feelings pretty well Mosh.
But I am going to go back and really give the whoele album a listen - something I rarely do.
Good point mckindog. Forgot about that. Here goes, written while listening.

Actually, I already hear differences with Zep in Finding my Way. Don't want to take anything away from Bonham but Rutsey's light and still subtle drumming is still quite dynamic and speedy in a way that I don't hear often in Zeppelin. The bass also attracts me more. It really jumps out. Check it out in e.g. Take a Friend.

In other words, I find it enjoying to listen to the rhythm section. Not compared to later Rush, but still compared to some other bands. Alex rocks along very well and indeed kudo's to him.
I dislike Lee's Whooo Yeaaahs's a more though. And his vocal melodies and less interesting lyrics.

Here Again is the surprise track of the album. It didn't strike a chord before but now it does. Love that melodic guitar work. And Lee sings well.

Working Man:
I know this song is all about riffs etc. but one big element in it are actually the drums. You might not expect it but really, take that driving beat during the couplets. Love those placed bass drums. It's hard to not nod along with the head or move the leg while hearing that.

And here comes a ridiculous statement: I had no clue that John Rutsey died 5 years ago! Did I miss anything on the DVD (Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage)? Now I suddenly understand that he didn't contribute to it, but at least they could have said something about his passing, not? And this forum? Not a word about it, and we really have some staunch fans out here. Weird. Was anyone else ignorant on his death?

Debut sounds nothing special to me, to be honest. Aside from being a material of a band that I love, it isn't something I'd particularly care for. As written before, the album sounds too much like Led Zeppelin, almost to the point where it feels like a rip-off. One Led Zeppelin is enough. Tracks themselves are very skippable. Highlights are the first track and the last track, Finding My Way and Working Man. The Robert Plant style "Oh yeah"s on Finding My Way are disturbing. It's a pretty fun song but nothing more. Working Man on the other hand adresses (sort of) the style the band was going to take part in on their upcoming albums.

Geddy's vocals already are pretty hard to like, but since he was younger on this album, they're really difficult to bear, at least for me. Lyrics are awful as well.

1,5 / 5 from me at best, only because it isn't torture to my ears.

And here comes a ridiculous statement: I had no clue that John Rutsey died 5 years ago! Did I miss anything on the DVD (Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage)? Now I suddenly understand that he didn't contribute to it, but at least they could have said something about his passing, not? And this forum? Not a word about it, and we really have some staunch fans out here. Weird. Was anyone else ignorant on his death?
On the first audio clip from him in the movie, when it shows his name it shows the year that he died.

Mosh is selling this album short. It's not the Rush we've come to know and love, it is blues-based hard rock -- and thank goodness, because that is what broke them as a band (a Cleveland, Ohio radio station started playing "Working Man" and the rest is history). Good showcase for Alex Lifeson in particular, he really owns this album. I've always thought "Here Again" was an underrated track, and "What You're Doing" has a simple but enjoyable riff.
I forgot to mention that, my mistake.

It's not a bad album, just not one I'm likely to listen to unless for a survivor or this thread. If I want to hear that sort of music I'll put on some Blue Cheer or Led Zeppelin II.

Relisten over.
Take away Geddy's unmistakable voice, and, overall, it just doesn't sound like Rush. That doesn't mean it's bad, it's just kinda dated and a little generic.
I guess the Zep comparisons are right, but I think it might be better to put it in with a whole legion of bombastic arena rock bands emerging from the Zep shadow, bands like Foghat.
What You're Doing and In the Mood (cringeworthy but still incredibly catchy) are prime examples.
Lifeson's got some excellent playing happening here, which I remembered. But Foro's right, the rhythm section has got some cool things going on too, which I didn't remember.
Those elements combine really well on Here Again, which was a revelation for me too.
Finding My Way works well as a concert and album opener, but overall the songwriting isn't particularly memorable.
But Working Man is a true classic. What a great riff and instrumental section, and for the time, so incredibly heavy.
And at 3:15 is where the real Rush emerges.

On the first audio clip from him in the movie, when it shows his name it shows the year that he died.
Thanks. Will pay more attention next time (it's also possible I forgot about it). Still I'm a bit surprised that I can't find any mention out here.

Yea, I don't remember hearing a whole lot about it. Not surprised though, I reckon most people don't even know there was a drummer before Peart.

Yea, but we tend to pay more attention to details around here anyway. :p

tumblr_m5urk2JMX11rrea3co1_500.png

Like mentioned, Rush really wears their influences on their sleeves on the debut. Big riff bluesy hard rock ala Cream, Zeppelin etc and they do it damn well. I could imagine the blow it must have been to loose Rutsey since he is a very competent drummer but of course as we all know it would be a blessing in disguise for them.

For me a very enjoyable Rush album that might lack on the progressive side but instead delivers a kick in the teeth in places (which I feel some of the later albums lack a little)!

Eh... rarely ever listen to this one. It got Rush on the map with Working Man and it's a great song, I give it that.

Thanks for this lengthy piece! I am sure everyone will appreciate it and not not know everything already.

I really appreciated the long developments about the increasing use of keyboards and Lifeson's mixed feelings on the matter. And the story about Peart's daugthter and wife is heartbreaking. It's stupendous to see how close these men are close from each other after all these years.

Back