Run to the Hills

How good is Run to the Hills on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'run To The Hills'

Perun said:
Actually, the line goes "hunting and killing the game", which has a completely different meaning.

What's your source for this? The NotB says it's 'hunting and killing for game'.

The booklet in my original NOTB CD release has yet another variation:
"Hunting and killing their game"

Funny how each little difference gives a completely different meaning.

For the hell of it:

Hunting and killing their game - Original NOTB, original LAD, A Real live Dead One, Donington (remaster), Best of the Beast.
Hunting and Killing for game - remaster NOTB
Hunting and killing's a game - Rock in Rio

What does it say on the scrap of toilet paper Steve originally wrote the lyrics on?

Bearing in mind I found three variations of that line, it does make me wonder why each lyric booklet isn't proof read by someone for consistency - before they go to print. It surely can't be that difficult.

When I listen to the track itself, it sure sounds like "killing's a game."  It sounds nothing like "their game" or "for game," and the latter doesn't even make sense grammatically.  The line "killing the game" probably makes the most sense in context.  I obviously need to dig up the old vinyl version I bought in junior high school and see what THOSE liner notes say.  However, it is entirely possible that what Bruce sang on the recording is not what Harris originally wrote. 

EDIT:  Just did a quick check of all the live versions I own (Beast Over Hammersmith, LAD, Donington, Rock in Rio, Death on the Road, and even a bootleg of Donington in '07), and it is very, very clear that, irrespective of what Harris originally wrote or what the printed lyrics say, Bruce obviously thinks the line is "killing's a game."  He sings it that way every time.

SECOND EDIT:  Lyrics on Somewhere Back in Time compilation say "killings a game." 

I like RTTH, but still it's a bit overrated and not even in the top 20 when listing the best Maiden-songs imo. Still this song works well live.

Daily Song: Run to the Hills

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Run to the Hills

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Again, a victim of being overplayed? I think perhaps so, but I do like the song. For better or for worse, it remains one of the good rockers of the 80s. 8/10.

Re: Daily Song: Run to the Hills

6. Catchy tune, great lyrics but it's one of Maiden's weakest and never worked that well live and Bruce's singing on this one live can get annoying, specially on the chorus.

While it’s kinda annoying this simple song is where Maiden starts and ends for too many people, you really can’t hold that against the song itself. It’s got a catchy drum intro, a soaring chorus and introduces that Maiden gallop, A legitimate eight.

The problem with this album is that all the songs are so good.  I said about The Prisoner that RTTH has nothing on it (which I still agree with), yet I can't bring myself to give RTTH a lower rating than Invaders or equal to 22 Acacia Avenue.  So an 8 it is.

Here's the problem. I've heard this song about as often as The Trooper, Hallowed and Number of the Beast. Neither of those songs has become boring for me, but Run to the Hills has. Which means to me that this one is of inferior quality. I mean yeah, it can be fun live or at a metal club, but I don't like to listen to it very much like that.
I somehow feel that this was originally pitched to be a vehicle for showing off Bruce's abilities, and probably never meant to be more. It's a shame this one gets so much hype, because it just isn't all that good. 6/10.

Even when this album was fresh to me this song was a notch or three below HBTN and NOTB as far iconic status in my mind.

I enjoy the opening stanza and Steve's lyrcial concept...invasion of North America.

But the song always seemed a little too upbeat for a metal band. Was this song recorded in a rush to get a single out to promote the new album...or am I dreaming?

It is a catchy rocker, but it is not among the best songs off the album. A simple song, with a lot of groove, but it is not really worth the hype. However, it does its job getting a crowd pumped. I rate it a notch below songs like The Prisoner, 22 Acacia Avenue and the likes. 7/10.

I loved this song the first time I heard it and still like it a lot.
The drum intro works great live to get the crowd moving, verses are ok and the chorus is catchy. I must mention the solo which is awesome.

However, because there are some better songs on the album I give it 8/10. Great rocker.

I am so sick of this song, I refuse to listen to it when playing the The Number of the Beast album. For the actual song itself, it's not a bad rocker, it's just so overplayed it's not funny. It would probably be a 7 in my eyes if I wasn't sick of it, but currently it's only a 5 for me.

6/10 - unlike The Number of the Beast, there is a reason why people complain that this is overplayed. It's OK, but just not spectacular.

I need not recall how this was the first song I heard by Maiden with Bruce as I think I've said it enough already. :D

6/10. Great lyrics, great solo, the intro annoys me sometimes but otherwise is pretty strong. Apart from that I'm not so keen. I would've given it 5 but it deserves an extra mark for it's significance in making Maiden a major metal band.

Back