Run Silent Run Deep

How good is Run Silent Run Deep on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Did anyone notice that the intro of this song is kind of similar to Judas Priest's Night Crawler ? I mean the guitar melodies sounds pretty close to my ears. Both Painkiller and No Prayer for the Dying released in 1990 so I think that's a coincidence rather than inspiration.

This song has nothing to do with Dive! Dive! Dive!, or Captain Pugwash as was stated in the first post in this thread.  :lol: It is based on the movie of the same name, and the lyrics were originally on a song Bruce wrote for "Somewhere In Time" that didn't make the album.

I really love this song a lot, and Bruce's harsher vocal style suits the subject matter here perfectly. I love Janick's solo in this one, and the melody after the solos actually has a sea shanty vibe about it rhythmically. I dunno why people are complaining about the bit at the end where Bruce sings over the clean guitar. To me, it sounds very eerie and is a perfect ending to the song. Almost like the victims of the sea are being sung to in a ghostly fashion. Awesome song.

I believe that the film Run Silent Run Deep may have influenced both the song Dive! Dive! Dive! and this one. More in my post with the film posters on the previous page.

Forostar said:
I believe that the film Run Silent Run Deep may have influenced both the song Dive! Dive! Dive! and this one. More in my post with the film posters on the previous page.

Well, Bruce said in an interview that both songs had similar influences, it's just that Run Silent, Run Deep was a far more serious song. Whereas the influences were used far more loosely for Dive! Dive! Dive! for comedic effect. I still have the magazine where Bruce gives a track by track guide to No Prayer. :)

Forostar said:
I am pretty sure that sound from Dive! Dive! Dive! comes from that film, did you hear that too?

Yep, I'm pretty sure it's the same sound from the film. ;)

Amazing guitar work, but the chorus is jumbled. The verses are great, though I find the need for a quiet ending to be an odd choice.

10. Easily the best song of the '90s era. Is it just me who thinks this should have been an single?
Anyway, this song is catchy, has good lyrics, and Bruce actually cleans up his vocals for the chorus! The guitar solos are also brilliant. The harmony part before the third verse is an highlight. With that said, this song is easily a Top 10 song for me.

This is one of Bruce's better vocal efforts on this album and the chorus isn't too bad. The guitar solos are some of the better ones too. It's probably the lone "highlight" after the first three songs of NPftD. 8/10

By some reason, several of The No Prayer tracks feels similar to each other. This one is nothing special, but it is still good.
The middle section is ambitious in this one, and is quite good. Like the march-feeling on the verses.

6/10

Right after the line, "Sink into your final sleep," at 2:04 and 3:50 the bass sounds sloppy. It doesn't sound like it was intentional, it just sounds like really poor playing. Anyone else hearing this? It's starting to take away from the song for me.

6. It's another song that's enjoyable but not much more.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Piece Of Mind - 7.44

8 - Where Eagles Dare
9 - Revelations
9 - Flight Of Icarus
7 - Die With Your Boots On
8 - The Trooper
7 - Still Life
6 - Quest For Fire
6 - Sun And Steel
7 - To Tame A Land

Powerslave - 6.75

8 - Aces High
7 - 2 Minutes To Midnight
3 - Loss Fer Words
7 - Flash Of The Blade
5 - The Duellists
6 - Back In The Village
9 - Powerslave
9 - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Somewhere In Time - 8.00

8 - Caught Somewhere In Time
9 - Wasted Years
8 - Sea Of Madness
8 - Heaven Can Wait
8 - The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
7 - Stranger In A Strange Land
8 - Deja Vu
8 - Alexander The Great

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - 8.25

7 - Moonchild
9 - Infinite Dreams
9 - Can I Play With Madness
9 - The Evil That Men Do
10 - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
6 - The Prophecy
8 - The Clairvoyant
8 - Only The Good Die Young

No Prayer For The Dying

6 - Tailgunner
6 - Holy Smoke
8 - No Prayer For The Dying
7 - Public Enema Number One
7 - Fates Warning
7 - The Assassin
6 - Run Silent Run Deep

Very catchy song, and Bruce's singing is actually quite good! One of the best songs on the album. 8/10

9/10

Run Silent Run Deep is thankfully much better, with a truly spectacular verse by Dickinson and Harris. Bruce’s rasp sounds fantastic here. The riff underneath Janick’s solo is magnificent and the unison before the final verse shows that the new guy can keep up with Murray. It’s not a perfect song, the chorus feels rushed and the dramatic ending could have been excised completely, but it’s definitely at the top of the pack along with Public Enema and Fates Warning.

This is where this era of Maiden shines, a formula that will be repeated by the other more successful songs of these two albums. Driving riffs, strong base, and simple, but good lyrics (see Dark, Fear of the). Bruce's voice matches the music picked, and isn't nearly as cruel and coarse as it was on the previous song. 8/10, because I think this is just short of being a masterpiece, but it is certainly one of the two great songs on this album.

This song has nothing to do with Dive! Dive! Dive!, or Captain Pugwash as was stated in the first post in this thread. :lol: It is based on the movie of the same name, and the lyrics were originally on a song Bruce wrote for "Somewhere In Time" that didn't make the album.

I really love this song a lot, and Bruce's harsher vocal style suits the subject matter here perfectly. I love Janick's solo in this one, and the melody after the solos actually has a sea shanty vibe about it rhythmically. I dunno why people are complaining about the bit at the end where Bruce sings over the clean guitar. To me, it sounds very eerie and is a perfect ending to the song. Almost like the victims of the sea are being sung to in a ghostly fashion. Awesome song.

I agree! I love this song too and I stand behind what you said about it. I also think Dave's solo is worth a mention. And yes, that outro part, especially the very end "a merchantman's nightmaaaare", the way his voice breaks there at the end. I just love it!

I don't really like the beginning of this song or the end (Bruce's singing is horrible there), but the meat of the song is excellent. Great energy, love how Bruce switches from raspy in the verses to operatic in the chorus. This has the energy and intrigue that I think Steve was going for with The Assassin but didn't deliver. Cool solos and rhythms underneath. Love the guitar harmony afterwards, sounds like a high speed metal sea chanty.

So was it just the lyrics that came from the SIT sessions? Because I can easily hear an acoustic folksy version of this song with the same music. I always figured Steve rearranged it into a Metal song and threw in the instrumental bits.

Back