Riffology.

Mmm...Donuts

Trooper
Whats yer favorite Maiden riffs, fellas? Those boys are well known in almost all of their songs for genuine, imaginative and well played riffs! Now time to speak your mind! Since many songs have many riffs, you can point out which riff in a song hits your mind!  :D

Here's some the come to mind!

Pre solo riff of Innocent Exile
Revelation's pre solo riff
Fear Of The Dark's main riff
Aggresive bridge riff of The Legacy
For The Greater Good Of God main riff
Powerslave main riff
intense riff before the pre solo lick of Sign Of The Cross
Edge Of Darkness main riff
The Nomad main riff

Wooo! Riffology roxorz.

Favourite riffs, huh? That's a difficult one. Some that immediately spring to mind are:

Rainmaker
Two Minutes To Midnight
Futureal
Wasted Years
The Wicker Man
Hallowed Be Thy Name (both of 'em, actually... the one leading from the intro to the middle part, and the middle part one)
Lord Of The Flies
Prowler

Though I'd say my favourite one is probably the opening riff of The Thin Line Between Love And Hate.

And yes, I'm aware of the fact that I missed many that I absolutely adore. But I can't list two hundred Maiden songs here, can I?

Perun said:
But I can't list two hundred Maiden songs here, can I?

No, you can't. No one can. There aren't 200 Maiden songs. You might get close (or even over) if you count all the songs they've covered on B-sides, but there are less than 200 songs written and released by Iron Maiden.

I don't recall the exact count offhand, but there's around 140 songs on the studio albums, plus a couple dozen b-sides.

Don't be silly. Of course I can. I can do anything I want to, especially because the Power of H flows inside of me.

Riffs that are permanently etched in my mind:

The Longest Day - all riffs during the instrumental section
Murders In The Rue Morgue - harmonic riff before the final chorus which could almost be classified as a duel guitar solo.
The Evil That Men Do - opening riff
The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner - opening riff
Caught Somewhere In Time - opening riff
Revelations - harmonic riff after guitar solos before songs calms down again for closing chorus.
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner - many riffs through out.

I wonder if anyone has combined all classic maiden riffs and guitar solos into one long instrumental track...now that would be worth a listen.

Currently 'Caught Somewhere in Time' and 'Alexander the Great' are great riffs because I've just come from the 'Best of Somewhere in Time' thread and the songs started repeating in my head.  :)

Hmm...
2 Minutes to Midnight (esp. the one on Rock in Rio, with Screeeeam for me Braziiil!)
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Wicker Man
Lord of Light (when the song goes from soft to heavy)
The Evil that Men Do

And dozens more.  Those are some of the most memorable, and what I think of when I hear the word "riff".

Ooh blimey...choice cuts?  I'll go per album then...

Iron Maiden
Transylvania's opening riff, and the main riff in Phantom of the Opera, as well as the bridge riff in PotO (the one before the final solo)

Killers
Purgatory (riff just before the first verse, and the chorus riff), Genghis Khan (final riff), Ides of March

The Number of the Beast
Invaders' opening riff, Hallowed Be Thy Name (you know the one...:p), Children of the Damned (chorus), The Prisoner (intro/verse/chorus)

Piece of Mind
Still Life bridge riff and harmony (just before the solo), Where Eagles Dare, Flight of Icarus, The Trooper

Powerslave
Back In The Village (NO-ONE remembers this one!), Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Flash of the Blade

Somewhere in Time
Deja Vu (main/verse riff), Caught Somewhere in Time (intro), Wasted Years (intro)

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Moonchild intro riff (the distorted chords), The Clairvoyant, The Prophecy

No Prayer For The Dying
Mother Russia, The Assassin (just before the verse), Run Silent Run Deep

Fear of the Dark
Judas Be My Guide, Fear of the Dark (before/after the solos), Be Quick Or Be Dead

The X Factor
Lord of the Flies, Man on the Edge, Blood on the World's Hands, The Unbeliever (intro), post-solo melody in Sign of the Cross

Virtual XI
Futureal, The Educated Fool ('I want to live my life on my own...'), Como Estais Amigo (intro)

Brave New World
Post-solo harmony of Brave New World, The Wicker Man, Ghost of the Navigator, The Fallen Angel

Dance of Death
Rainmaker, Face in the Sand (build-up!!!), Paschendale ('Crucified as if on a cross...')

A Matter of Life and Death
Lord of Light (first distortion), Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (the 'gallop' esp.), For the Greater Good of God (post-solo melody)

Raven said:
Ooh blimey...choice cuts?  I'll go per album then...

Not a bad idea for fanatics.. ;)

Iron Maiden
Transylvania (all riffs in the faster parts) - Prowler (riff before the solo)

Killers
Purgatory (bridge and chorus riffs) - Genghis Khan (riffs after "the gear-shifting": magnificent!)

The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name (all are excellent, but I especially like the stuff between: "Dont believe that there is never an end" and "As the guards march me out to the courtyard"

Piece of Mind
The Trooper (all)

Until here my favourite riffs from 1980-1983! (Hopefully continued!)

The post-verse riff in No Prayer for the Dying is probably my favourite at the moment.

Among many of those mentioned above and many more, 'Afraid to Shoot Strangers' and 'No more Lies' comes to mind as notable favourites.  :innocent:

Back