Rank songs written by Dave Murray

fekso

Ancient Mariner
In alphabetical order, all songs that Dave co-wrote! He is the sole writer of Charlotte the Harlot, but we'll leave that discussion for another day ;)

Feel free to rank or discuss them!

Age of Innocence
Brave New World
Chains of Misery
Charlotte the Harlot
Deja Vu
Fates Warning
Judas Be My Guide
Lightning Strikes Twice
Public Enema Number One
Rainmaker
Still Life
The Man of Sorrows
The Man Who Would Be King
The Nomad
The Prophecy
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Two Worlds Collide

Last edited:
I will pick my top 5:

5. Still Life
4. Charlotte the Harlot
3. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
2. Deja Vu
1. Brave New World

Maybe this would be better as a poll. :)

Anyway here's my top 5:

5: Brave New World
4: Deja Vu
3: Rainmaker
2: The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
1: The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

Honorable mentions go to Still Life, Judas Be My Guide, and The Man of Sorrows.

Is that not a Steve track?

Brave New World, Rainmaker, The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, Still Life and The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg are my five favourite not sure if I care enough to put them in order.

Judas be my Guide and Public Enema Number One are great Dickinson/Murray tracks, would like to see this song writing partnership revisited.

1. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
2. Still Life
3. The Man Who Would Be King
4. Rainmaker
5. Deja Vu

Still Life
Brave New World
Rainmaker
Deja Vu
Two Worlds Collide
Charlotte the Harlot
The Prophecy
Lightning Strikes Twice
Drifter
New Frontier
Judas Be My Guide
The Nomad
The Man of Sorrows
Public Enema Number One
Fates Warning
Chains of Misery
Age of Innocence

1. Thin Line Between Love and Hate
2. Brave New World
3. Judas Be My Guide
4. Rainmaker
5. Still Life

Special mention to The Man Who Would Be King, which contains some absolutely phenomenal parts but as a whole does not hold up to the standards of those above.

If Janick is the king of harmonies (Legacy, Montsegur etc.), Dave is the king of ingenious melodies.

My top 5 would be:

1. Brave New World
2. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
3. Still Life
4. Judas Be My Guide
5. Rainmaker

Special mention(s) to The Prophecy and Public Enema Number One

That being said, I think Davey is below the two other guitar players when it comes to songwriting chops.

Top 5:

1. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
2. Brave New World
3. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
4. Rainmaker
5. The Nomad

Honorable mentions: Deja Vu, Judas Be My Guide

Bottom of the barrel: Drifter, Charlotte the Harlot, The Man Who Would Be King, Two Worlds Collide

All the rest of his songs range from "pretty alright" to "meh"

Is that not a Steve track?

Brave New World, Rainmaker, The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, Still Life and The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg are my five favourite not sure if I care enough to put them in order.

Judas be my Guide and Public Enema Number One are great Dickinson/Murray tracks, would like to see this song writing partnership revisited.
It is. And New Frontier is a McBrain/Smith/Dickinson track.

My source failed me. Thanks!

http://www.mlinusson.com/rec2/writing_credits.php?artistid=d989fc1678579f39135913787973fce81134e9fb

Maybe this would be better as a poll. :)

Anyway here's my top 5:

5: Brave New World
4: Deja Vu
3: Rainmaker
2: The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
1: The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

Honorable mentions go to Still Life, Judas Be My Guide, and The Man of Sorrows.

Could be. I thought it would be more intresting to leave it a bit more open! I like to discuss ;)

Last edited:
I wouldnt mind having Justice of the Peace (Dave) and Judgement Day added to The X Factor just like Sanctuary was added to the debut. Make it a double album!

Some definitive classics in this list, and some that are ... well ... not classics. I'll try to rank them.

The great:
Brave New World: A great song. Great guitar melodies, great solos and a very singalong-friendly chorus. One of the best songs from the current lineup.
Rainmaker: A modern-day Dave classic in the vein of another great song of his. The solo is simply awesome and the song rocks the house down.
Still Life: An often overlooked song from Piece of Mind, this is one of Dave's best. A melodic intro, well composed verses, damn fine solos and the cool rhythm of the last verse. Also great lyrics in this one.
Judas Be My Guide: One of the best songs on Fear of the Dark. Fantastic chorus and solo.
The Prophecy: The intro and outro are both among the highlights on Seventh Son.

The good: What these modern-day Maiden songs have in common that they are good compositions, and they stand out from the other songs on their respective albums structure-wise. I just don't come back to these as often as I do with the above group. Not in ranked order:
Deja Vu: Another trademark Dave intro, good melodies. Simplistic lyrics sends it a few spots down from the top.
The Man of Sorrows:
The Man Who Would Be King: I really like the transition from the intro to the first verse. Also a creative solo. But the song as a whole doesn't have that little extra to take it into the top group.
The Nomad: A very good song, actually. Too bad half of it was written by B- .. sorry, the band which should not be named.
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg: The mystery of who Benjamin actually is, doesn't lift the song from good to great, but it's among the better in this group.
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate: Some awesome singing by Bruce here, but the song has never stuck with me the way it has with some other people on here.

The decent:
Charlotte the Harlot: A fun song, typical of early-era Maiden, but not one of my favourites from the debut.
Fates Warning: I like the intro. The rest of the song is good, but it doesn't stand out much.
Two Worlds Collide: Some good melodic parts in this song, one of the better from Virtual XI.
Lightning Strikes Twice: Good build-up, but the verses and chorus fail to deliver.
Public Enema Number One: Doesn't stand out in any particular way, positive or negative.

The not that good: These two are among the weaker songs on two albums that are both in my bottom five, so ... you do the math.
Age of Innocence: The music in this one has never grabbed me the way the best Dave songs do, and the lyrics ... well, let's not go there.
Chains of Misery: Strange to think that he wrote this at the same time as he also wrote Judas.

Reordered to suit my taste:

Brave New World
Charlotte the Harlot
Still Life
Rainmaker
Deja Vu
Judas Be My Guide
Public Enema Number One
Fates Warning
Chains of Misery
The Prophecy
The Nomad
Lightning Strikes Twice
Two Worlds Collide
The Man of Sorrows
Age of Innocence

5 best (no particular order, but Breeg is probably the best for me):
- The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
- Judas Be My Guide
- Brave New World
- Rainmaker
- The Thin Line...
Honorable mention: Deja Vu

Worst:
- Drifter
- Charlotte the Harlot
- Chains of Misery

The rest is pretty much all decent (6-8/10 range).

Back