Random trivia

Yes, at least one of them is in Africa.

Now try to make your guess.

South (west?) Africa was under German rule then became part of the Commonwealth I think, so maybe South Africa? No idea what side of the road they drive on though.

South (west?) Africa was under German rule then part of the Commonwealth I think, so South Africa? No idea what side of the road they drive on though.

Yeah, you sort of got it. At least you're thinking correctly. The answer is Namibia, formerly Southwest Africa, formerly German Southwest Africa. It employed right-hand driving under German control, then switched to left-hand driving when becoming a South African protectorate after the First World War and never switched back. Your questions kind of murked the whole thing, especially because it's hard to define the country's existence... but it has always been a distinct political entity.

What is the other country?

Namibia, wouldn't have gotten that. Not sure if going to be able to impress anyone with that piece of trivia, Perun...

Anways, so second one isn't African? Asia? Or Southern hemisphere, like Australia?

Yes, it is a former German colony. Now, this narrows it down so much that I'm not going to give you any more hints.

You're shitting me? A "German colony" narrows it down?! :blink:

German colonial territories pre-WWI were pretty extensive, were they not? Besides Africa are we talking maybe Pacific region? If it's some wee diddy island then I'm not guessing here, Perun! :p

The amount of German colonies was not terribly big. It was virtually nothing compared to Britain or France. Finding a former German colony that is now an independent country in the same borders, not in Africa and now part of the Commonwealth really shouldn't be too hard. You can count them on one hand. I am also going to lean out the window and say that you've heard the name before.

Man, these hints are shit. Do you think Brits have some sort of encyclopedic knowledge of Commonwealth countries or something?

Is it a wee diddy island then?

Okay, my guess is New Guinea. Pretty sure that came under Australian occupation/rule after the war. Australia, NZ & all that still drive on the left; so maybe they switched from right-hand driving (under German rule) then switched to left. Sounds unlikely...

It's not a trick question is it? Like a Caribbean country that once under brief German rule back in the New World days or something? i.e. horse & cart days?

Last edited:
It is Samoa - and surprisingly, the switch took place recently, in 2009. The reason was because of the dominance of the American car industry on the island and the preference of Samoans to be more closely aligned to Australia and New Zealand.

When was the last time that our beloved band Iron Maiden played three gigs in a row, meaning in this context: playing concerts three days in a row (without having a one day break (or more days)). Try to mention the tour and the year. You'll get bonus points if you can guess the dates and/or places. Don't look it up!

Back