1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random trivia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StrangerInAStrangeLand, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Both are still existing members of the Commonwealth.

2. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Are either of them in Africa?

3. Perun

Yes, at least one of them is in Africa.

Now try to make your guess.

4. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

South (west?) Africa was under German rule then became part of the Commonwealth I think, so maybe South Africa? No idea what side of the road they drive on though.

5. Perun

Yeah, you sort of got it. At least you're thinking correctly. The answer is Namibia, formerly Southwest Africa, formerly German Southwest Africa. It employed right-hand driving under German control, then switched to left-hand driving when becoming a South African protectorate after the First World War and never switched back. Your questions kind of murked the whole thing, especially because it's hard to define the country's existence... but it has always been a distinct political entity.

What is the other country?

6. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Namibia, wouldn't have gotten that. Not sure if going to be able to impress anyone with that piece of trivia, Perun...

Anways, so second one isn't African? Asia? Or Southern hemisphere, like Australia?

7. Perun

It's not in Africa, that's all I'm going to tell you now.

8. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

You used the word "territory" earlier & I'm not sure how precise you were being there. Is this a former German colony?

9. Perun

Yes, it is a former German colony. Now, this narrows it down so much that I'm not going to give you any more hints.

10. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

You're shitting me? A "German colony" narrows it down?! :blink:

German colonial territories pre-WWI were pretty extensive, were they not? Besides Africa are we talking maybe Pacific region? If it's some wee diddy island then I'm not guessing here, Perun! :p

11. Perun

The amount of German colonies was not terribly big. It was virtually nothing compared to Britain or France. Finding a former German colony that is now an independent country in the same borders, not in Africa and now part of the Commonwealth really shouldn't be too hard. You can count them on one hand. I am also going to lean out the window and say that you've heard the name before.

12. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Man, these hints are shit. Do you think Brits have some sort of encyclopedic knowledge of Commonwealth countries or something?

Is it a wee diddy island then?

13. Perun

Depends on how you define "wee diddy". It's not exactly Madagascar, but the Germans had a lot of wee diddyilier islands.

14. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Okay, my guess is New Guinea. Pretty sure that came under Australian occupation/rule after the war. Australia, NZ & all that still drive on the left; so maybe they switched from right-hand driving (under German rule) then switched to left. Sounds unlikely...

It's not a trick question is it? Like a Caribbean country that once under brief German rule back in the New World days or something? i.e. horse & cart days?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  15. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

:nonono:

16. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

Samoa?

CriedWhenBrucieLeft and Perun like this.
  17. Perun

It is Samoa - and surprisingly, the switch took place recently, in 2009. The reason was because of the dominance of the American car industry on the island and the preference of Samoans to be more closely aligned to Australia and New Zealand.

CriedWhenBrucieLeft likes this.
  18. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

Hah! It was a wild guess. :D Although your hints did help a lot.

Perun likes this.
  19. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Sorry, I meant "the shit". They were the shit.
    My poor guessing must have helped too? :innocent:
    I have two final words on the matter. East Timor.

20. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

When was the last time that our beloved band Iron Maiden played three gigs in a row, meaning in this context: playing concerts three days in a row (without having a one day break (or more days)). Try to mention the tour and the year. You'll get bonus points if you can guess the dates and/or places. Don't look it up!