Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mckindog

Living for Sanctuary from the law
Staff member
THE RULES
These threads are inspired by Daily song threads that featured Maiden songs.
Random song thread has to have a poll that has 1-10 options for voting.
First user to reply to a Random song thread opens the next thread two days later.
If that user does not want to start the next thread, he can pass that option to the next user.
If no one opens the next thread 4 days after the opening of the previous thread, first user to notice it can open the next thread.
Song picking:
-pick songs you think a majority of forum users will be familiar with, or
-pick songs which are unknown but you think a majority of forum users will like it.
When you open the next thread, repost these rules.

THIN LIZZY THE WARRIOR

To me in a lot of ways when I listen to this song and a few other Lizzy tracks, I am hearing the most direct musical antecedent for Maiden.
Multiple time changes, the heavy sound, a great twin guitar attack, creative groove-filled drum lines.
Love this track and consider Lizzy to be one of the most underrated rock acts ever, at least in North America.

Question for Maiden fans: seems like Vap, Foro, Taker, Night Prowler and I are the only ones regularly posting on these threads anymore.
The basic point of these threads is to talk non-Maiden music — anything we can do differently to encourage more participation?
Yax got some good immediate feedback to his "review the previous song post" thread; is that a better format for this kind of thing?
Mosh has a cool review thread going — should we look more at albums?
Are people reading, but just not seeing songs that inspire them to respond?
Just curious if anyone has some "I would participate if..." kind of thoughts.
thanks.

I think that we should continue in Yax's thread. This was a good idea, and it was fun while it lasted, but it isn't interesting when only few of us open threads. I think I posted in almost all threads except in last few.

Decision is yours, since you started this game :)

Whilst I don't actively comment in these threads I've used them to help me explore new music. Often much after the thread has had it's day which is why I'm not participating but I'd appreciate it if you kept it going ;)

Nooooooooo! Keep this please. I really enjoy these threads. But I think there should be one revision.

It looks like Yax's thread is for posting more obscure songs. Let's keep the more obscure songs there, and use better known songs here. It's been proven that the more well known songs that get posted here, garner more attention. After all, this was based on the Daily Song threads by LC. This was more of a vehicle to give ratings on well known songs, the idea of using it to discover new music came later, and all of a sudden that's all anybody really used it for. And that is why most of these threads now only get regular attention from a select amount of people.

Great tune, great album, and a great band... no matter which line up. The solo kicks my ass everytime...high 8.

Mosh said:
Nooooooooo! Keep this please. I really enjoy these threads. But I think there should be one revision.

It looks like Yax's thread is for posting more obscure songs. Let's keep the more obscure songs there, and use better known songs here. It's been proven that the more well known songs that get posted here, garner more attention. After all, this was based on the Daily Song threads by LC. This was more of a vehicle to give ratings on well known songs, the idea of using it to discover new music came later, and all of a sudden that's all anybody really used it for. And that is why most of these threads now only get regular attention from a select amount of people.

Absolutely this. Like I said before (I can't find the post now) I lost my interest in those threads because there are almost no songs that I'm familiar with. Discovering new stuff is cool but it has lost its edge in those threads for me.

I'm not a big fan of the Jailbreak album, I'm more into Johnny The Fox. But Warriors is a great song, best from Jailbreak along with Emerald. 9/10.

mckindog said:
Question for Maiden fans: seems like Vap, Foro, Taker, Night Prowler and I are the only ones regularly posting on these threads anymore.
The basic point of these threads is to talk non-Maiden music — anything we can do differently to encourage more participation?
Yax got some good immediate feedback to his "review the previous song post" thread; is that a better format for this kind of thing?
Are people reading, but just not seeing songs that inspire them to respond?
Just curious if anyone has some "I would participate if..." kind of thoughts.
thanks.

I think Mosh's idea is good. Let's use Yax's thread for more obscure stuff and keep using these for more well known stuff so we'll get more people to participate.

mckindog said:

This thread features a review by the one who posts the song, though listeners can do that too of course. The next threads work different.

mckindog said:

The Yax thread features a review by the listener (who might not know the song as well as the poster).
Different perspectives. Otherwise the Yax topic would be a double topic.

mckindog said:

The Mosh thread is a thread reviewing an album (which imo already exists, as I have explained in that particular thread, but I still enjoy to read his reviews naturally).

I think it's wrong to make a difference between obscure and non-obscure. This is subjective and can't be decided in advance. We could make a division between metal and non-metal, but sometimes a song can be on the edge of both. If we define it well it can be done. Still, defining is terribly difficult. And we will always have stuff within metal that won't be appreciated by everybody. There are so many subgenres and different eras (in which metal was named otherwise).

Just played the song.
WOW. Never heard this song before (didn't take the step yet to get into Lizzy because the few songs I heard didn't have the impact of this gem) but I have fallen in love with it instantly.

Those long open, bright chords starting at 2.50 even gave me some goosebumps. Magnificently written.
Until now the best song I learned from these series of topics.

I also like the first chords ("I am...") in the couplets because they are so different from the segments preceding them.

Probably Thin Lizzy was praised for many things but this song makes me think this band has a special talent for songwriting. I guess I should check out more songs written by the combo Phil Lynott/Scott Gorham.

Back