QUEEN SURVIVOR: Results - Innuendo wins!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
I had fond memories of The Game, but when I listened to it for the survivor I found quite a few songs I didn't care for.

There are some great tunes here, Play the Game is a great way to start the album and the hits are good. Also Save Me, one of their lesser known gems. Everything else? Nothing terrible but also nothing especially memorable to me.

Eliminated
All Dead, All Dead
Don't Try Suicide
Coming Soon

Promoted
We Will Rock You
We Are the Champions
Spread Your Wings

The Prophet's Song, Play The Game, Dragon Attack, Need Your Loving Tonight, Rock It (Prime Jive), Sail Away Sweet Sister.

I very much like the Game. Its such a product of its time but it all hangs together very well as an album despite the relatively duff tracks like Suicide and Need Your Loving. They aren't bad at all, within the album thats where they should be listened to.

Eliminated
Need Your Loving Tonight
Sail Away Sweet Sister

Hot Space joins the battle! Skipping Flash Gordon because it is mostly incidental music that won't survive, but I will include it next if there is enough outrage.

Hot Space isn't all that bad if you give it a fair listen. Put out the Fire, Life is Real and Back Chat have all the hallmarks of classic Queen.

Skipping Flash Gordon? The opening track is good at least. Remember, this is not about albums. It's about songs.

Remember, this is not about albums. It's about songs.
Which is exactly why the album is not in the game. It's better listened to as an album, there aren't many songs on there that stand on their own.

The argumentation to remove (all) album songs from a song survivor is a strange one to me. Most songs don't stand on their own, so let's also remove the songs that do stand on their own, because they happen to be on a particular album?

That seems incorrect in a game in which individual songs are surviving. Songs are individual units in this game. Their relations with each other don't play a part.

I prefer to see a game (rather than game host) deciding which songs stand on their own.

Fair enough, I won't miss any sleep if the album or the opening song will be left out (although I am curious to see how far it would get in the game), I especially wanted to make these principle points.

Last edited:
If I step outside my personal taste boundaries and put aside my feelings for Queen in general, I can almost make a case for Hot Space being OK for what it is. And I also always support bands that reach for something different. But if you want to know what I really think, it's shit.

Bouncy, dance club music is so far outside the oeuvre of my fandom, I can't really judge Staying Power on anything other than how I respond to it: it makes me want to barf. I guess it sounds like John and Freddy are having some fun, but I'm struggling to find redeeming qualities.

I like the chorus a little more on Dancer, the instrumental break almost sounds like Queen and the groove has a tad more grit, but I'm being generous. Mostly it's the same vacuous bright '80s club pop that I could only tolerate for the cutest girls.

Back Chat at least has some style and atmosphere. Very Michael Jackson-esque in the best of possible ways. Again, not in my wheelhouse, but I appreciate it as a worthwhile experiment. Those synth drum fills in the break sound incredibly dated, but Brian's solo feeds nicely off the groove.

There are multiple candidates for worst Queen song on Hot Space. Body Language is definitely a finalist. It's both cringeworthy and icky.

Another candidate is Action This Day. It's weak and soulless — a B level composition wrapped in that terrible '80s production.

Call me predictable, but I like Put Out the Fire. And listening to it in the context of the album as a whole it sounds even better. I like catchy guitar riffs and anthemic choruses. There is nothing exceptional about the song, but after side one, this hits a cool drink of water in an arid desert.

I'm not a huge fan, but at least Life is Real sounds like a traditional Queen song. A pensive ballad with some dramatic flourishes, it's not a grabber, but it's not bad at all.

We'll get to discuss a lot of songs like Calling All Girls as this survivor moves through the '80s — inoffensive, mildly hooky pop rock songs performed with professionalism and not a huge amount of passion. I'd never go out of my way to put them on, but I won't stop what I am doing to hit fast forward either.

I'd have to say see above for Las Palabras de Amor (The Words of Love). It's sappier and a lesser song, but it fits. Barely.

I guess some of the kinder words I gave Back Chat might apply to Cool Cat. But it's really just not my cup of tea. It's got atmosphere, but it's not the atmosphere I want to soak in. Thumbs down.

It took a full album, but we finally get a song worthy of Queen's legacy with Under Pressure. The signature bass riff is catchy without being irritating like some of John's work on side one. Great atmosphere built through some vocal orchestrations and dramatic melodies and time shifts that are only enhanced by the contrasting vocal sounds of Bowie and Mercury.

Really, this album has one great song, one good song, one interesting song and a couple OK filler tracks. A very disappointing effort.

Interesting how almost everyone agrees that Put Out the Fire is the one not-so-bad track (besides Under Pressure). I hated it and thought that was the moment the already mediocre album took a major nosedive.

Voting for The Prophet's Song, Dragon Attack, Rock It + everything from Hot Space apart from Life Is Real, Palabras and ofc Under Pressure.

Eliminated
Staying Power
Dancer
Back Chat
Body Language
Action This Day
Calling All Girls
Cool Cat

Eliminated
Put Out the Fire

Promoted
Life is Real
Las Palabras
Under Pressure

The Works joins the battle!

Eliminated
Put Out the Fire

Promoted
Life is Real
Las Palabras
Under Pressure

The Works joins the battle!
Waiiiitttt... how did "Life is Real" and "Las Palabras" get promoted while "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Save Me" remain in jeopardy?

Back