Prowler

How good is Prowler on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Ok, it's time to start voting. This time I'm using Iron Maiden relative scoring, that means my least favourite song of the catalogue gets a 1.

And this one gets a 5, it's barely passable. To simple, too stupid for anything else. Live versions could get a point up, but not the official relase. Meh.
Are you kidding? o_O

What?

I gave it a 6 last time around.
I am the one that hugely prefers Killers to the debut album. Deal with it.

This song has a lot going for it: some fun melodies and riffs, good energy, and being the first song on the first Maiden album it has a special quality to it.

The uptempo section is pretty awesome.

All that said, it does leave a lot to be desired. The lyrics aren't very good and it has never been a song I've gone out of my way for. The song itself would get a 5, but judging the performance as well bumps it up to a 6.

Cheesist. <_<

Dirty old man chic aside, this is a belting, characterful opener for a debut album and really sets the pace for everything that follows. Still, I can only give it 8/10 because otherwise I'll need 11s and 12s for other parts of Maiden's discography.

9/10. This one has always been my favorite rocker on the debut. A great album opener and a great 1st track for Maiden. Really like the Beast Over Hammersmith performance, especially since it was the final encore that night!

6/10. A solid one, I like the riff and the vocal melody, but I'm not that much into the stop at 1:20 and the middle part as a whole. I've also never been a fan of that solo.

Last edited:
I've always had a lot of bias towards the Iron Maiden debut. It's rough, fast as hell, unadulterated heavy metal fun. The intro riff is timeless. Excellent solo. Paul's gravelly voice sends this song over the top; Steve's rumbling bass work on songs like this would later become an Iron Maiden trademark. The production also rounds things out, very dirty, I love it. I give this track a 10/10. This song, Sanctuary, Running Free, and Charlotte the Harlot are all songs I constantly find myself coming back to. I love the Iron Maiden debut, it's my third favorite from these guys.

My second favorite song of this album. Love the fast tempo, Dianno's vocals and one of Dave's best solos ever. Easily a 10

Not a massive fan, quite catchy, but far from Maiden at their best. Weakest opener until Tailgunner. Still quite good, can imagine a lot of older fans loved hearing it back in 2005. Also an extremely important song for Maiden historically.
7/10

9/10

The song have a nice stand out intro and it's very cool to listen to.

I don't give 10/10 because this rate is reserved for the masterpieces and this is not the case.

In terms of the short, fast punky numbers that they were doing on the first couple of albums, I think this is the best.

Good song and I really like Paul's vocal and great drumwork. Dodgy lyrics and a bit one dimensional though. In the context of Paul's albums, I'd score it a 9. But in context of whole Maiden catalogue, it gets a 7

Beginning my journey through IM discography.

So Prowler. I overlooked that song, listening to the 88 version. Amazing rawness, everything about that song fits Paul's voice like a glove. Amazing Davey solo on that one. Will definately spin this one again in the near future.

Great song
8/10

A good energetic opener with terrible lyrics.
Highlight: The opening riff
Lowlight: "Well you see me crawling through the bushes with it open wide."
7/10

Hi! This is my first post on this forum. I've got into Maiden in the past few years as I'm still quite young and I wasn't even alive when they published their first albums. Anyway, I'm going through the discography again, and I'll rate the songs in the meanwhile.
The music on Prowler is very good, from the starting riff to Dave's solo, but as others have noted, the lyrics make this song age not so well, and are quite dangerous if taken out of contest. It works quite well live, even with Bruce, despite the fact that it's perfect for Paul's vocals. I'll go for a 7/10

Hi! This is my first post on this forum. I've got into Maiden in the past few years as I'm still quite young and I wasn't even alive when they published their first albums.
Welcome aboard! You're certainly not the only one - I think most of our regulars are younger than the band themselves (me included).

Solid song. Perfect opening to this album, very strong musically, even though the lyrics are a bit meh. 7.

The beginning of an era. Not just on the album but the Spaceward demo too. Moved to #3 on the Soundhouse Tapes, unfortunately.
Kudos to everyone involved.

Back