1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive rock / metal

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Forostar, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

2. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

@Mosh @Shadow and others into seventies prog/sympho rock. Not sure if you know Earth and Fire like the vocals but this some bloody good music to check out.

Earth and Fire were a progressive and symphonic rock band who over time evolved into a pop group. Formed in the Netherlands by twin brothers Chris and Gerard Koerts, and most popular in the 1970s when fronted by singer Jerney Kaagman, Earth and Fire had many chart topping hits in the Netherlands and elsewhere in Europe, though they never gained much popularity in England or the Americas.

3. Stardust

Stardust A Blue Sector Mirage

Very much tongue-in-cheek but hey, it's still enjoyable. Also, the reason I brought it up here is to ask if any of you were familiar with Todd Rundgren's Utopia project. Or Todd Rundgren in general.

4. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Found this today because of the new Iced Earth, and it's really good. Apparently the singer is Dio's cousin or something? Regardless, it's badass and very interesting. Prog-metal with shades of Halford/Ripper.

5. Wayne Bond

Wayne Bond Nomad

I bought the album this morning. Only had chance to listen to some snippets before work and what I heard I like very much. Also discovered them due to loving the new iced earth album and checking out the new guitarist.

I really hope that iced earth can keep this guy and the current line up stable for a few more albums as this guitar player is fantastic.

MrKnickerbocker likes this.
  6. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Based on these two albums alone, I kinda hope Jake spends more time withWitherfall...

7. Wayne Bond

Wayne Bond Nomad

I hope he stays with both :)

8. Mosh

Heard a Jethro Tull album I liked: Benefit. Good stuff! Love the dark acoustic driven songs and the Maidenish electric guitar parts.

9. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

Does it mean you don't like JT in general? I quite like Benefit, but it's not my favourite.

10. Mosh

I've listened to just about everything up to A Passion Play multiple times, always seeing if something grows on me. There's usually something I can appreciate but overall not my thing. For example, Thick As A Brick Side 1 has some great moments, but Side 2 ruins it. Benefit was by far the most consistent thing I've listened to so far.

11. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

Okay, I get that. I also think they're inconsistent, though for me it's more discography-wise. That is, the number of meh to bad albums possibly surpasses the number of the really good ones.

I'm still completely crazy about Passion Play and (mostly) TAAB and Minstrel. Songs from the Wood, Horses and Too Old, while patchy, are also quite enjoyable. Aqualung's quite hit and miss, so is Stand Up. Stormwatch is already a boring retread and I don't think I've listened to any of the Eighties and Nineties albums and This Was more than once.

That said, their 70's rhythm sections are, IMHO, absolutely astonishing and Martin Barre is a truly excellent guitarist, in fact, throughout the second half of their career Barre was quite often the reason to listen to the band at all.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  12. Niall Kielt

Niall Kielt Pulled Her At The Bottle Top

Tull 50th Anniversary tour next year is hitting the UK. Il have some of that.
    http://jethrotull.com/tour-dates/
    Pretty sure its only Anderson but still worth a look I'm sure

13. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Already posted this in black metal, but this song is so good I'll spam it here too:

Zare likes this.
  14. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Planet X docu: