Praying Mantis

Mmm...Donuts

Trooper
Wow I've been away for too long. But anyways, I've come across a NWOBHM band I think you guys may have heard of, Praying Mantis. They have many similarities to Maiden like twin guitar stuff and operatic vocals but they have a more melodic approach, and some past members like Paul Dianno and Dennis Stratton played with them. So far my favorite songs from them are Wasted Years, Forever in Time, Lovers to the Grave, If Tomorrow Never Comes, Best Years. What do you guys think about them?   :)

Here's Wasted Years
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kv0h7W0T4s

The reason I instantly like them is because they prioritize Melody above all else. Their stuff is never harsh on the ear  :ok:

Time Tells No Lies is a masterpiece. Loved the live album Captured Alive In Tokyo City. It had Dennis Stratton and Clive Burr on it!

This might sound funny to all of you, but after a few months I decided to check out Oldfield’s Ommadawn again... especially that sequence after 6:50 in the first part and the very end of the second part (before On Horseback)... and then I saw this thread and wanted to check it out and I listened to Wasted Years... and I actually heard a connection - it reminded me of the other one so much... I might be the only person on Earth to say such thing, but you made my day anyway. Thank you.

Gave Time Tells No Lifes a listen today. My god, what an album. Children of the Earth, Lovers to the Grave and Running for Tomorrow are tracks that should have put this band at the level of Saxon, at least. They are playing London later this year, I might have to fly in for the show. Went on to the live album Captured Alive in Tokyo City, so good to hear Clive Burr on the drums. Paul Di'Anno and Dennis Stratton both sounded great on Live at Last. Great versions of Iron Maiden classics, Dangerous Game is also a terrific track! Giving the last three studio albums (Legacy, Gravity and Katharsis + the live album Keep It Alive) featuring Hans Zandt and John Cuijpers a chance later this week! Excited for it!

Last edited:
Back