Phantom of the Opera

How good is Phantom of the Opera on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'phantom Of The Opera'

Phantom of the opera: the first steve harris epic; what can I say, this remains in a lot of peoples top ten even 30 years later. The beginning is a bit odd but then breaks into one of the most memorable solos ever. The lyrics are almost disturbing. The instrumental is amazing and the solos are some of the best ever. The whole song creates a mysterious atmosphere. The bass has some amazing runs, the guitars complement each other with harmonies perfectly and the drums drive everything on extremely well. And the voice, is on pauls best performances. At almost 8 minutes long this is one of maidens best songs : 5/5

Daily Song: Phantom of the Opera

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Phantom of the Opera

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

What a killer. Honestly, the best song of the Paul era, by far. Showcases everything that Maiden does now, in its early, developing form. At the time, this song was unique and a standout: nobody knew that it would be the blueprint for 30 years of success. 10/10.

Re: Daily Song: Phantom of the Opera

I think at Rock am Ring in '05, Bruce said something to the effect of "if you don't like this song, you don't like Iron Maiden". There's nothing to add to that, this is all that Maiden has ever been about. 11/10.

10/10

"And if you don't like Heavy Metal I advise you to go away because you might die. THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA!" Bruce Ullevi 05

This is one of the songs where every second something brilliant is happening, whether it be the top-class intro, brilliant lyrics or magnificent instrumental section. For even more perfection the Live After Death version is the one to listen to, imo.

Wow, all 10's by now :)

This song was a grower on me. First time when I listened to it, it was a bit boring (yeah, call me insane). I changed my mind when I heard Beast Over Hammersmith version. It totally blew me away, like all the other n00bs  :blush:

10 from me.

Yeah, what everyone's been saying 'til now. 10/10.

The best song of the first two albums.  I find it unbelieavable that so early in his career, with so little experience and uncertainty with the band members, gigs, getting an album out, and pretty much everything, Steve was able to write a song that even today stands among Maiden's finest songs ever.  Most bands can not reach quality like this during their whole careers, and Maiden did it with their first album.

I of course have to give this a 10, but in the future it will be a lot harder to give excellent songs a 10 because they will be measured against this.  

10/10 from me as well, classic song.  My favorite from the first two albums.  I wish this was as permanent a set list fixture as Hallowed Be Thy Name is because it's every bit as good.

Man, what a song.  Foreshadowed everything to come with Hallowed and all the other epics, despite a brief step backwards on Killers.  I still prefer Prowler, but this the second best of the Di'Anno era.  Savage last verse/chorus.  :edmetal:

Not much else to say that hasn't been said above. Best Di'anno track by far.
Everything that is good about this album, plus all the originality and a depth that came later.
Easy 10. Still among their 10 best songs ever.  :wub:

Jonszat said:
10/10

"And if you don't like Heavy Metal I advise you to go away because you might die. THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA!" Bruce Ullevi 05

I even think he said " ... to go away before you have a heart attack and die"  :D

Since Bruce was absolutely right in what he said before introducing that song, and since every rendition of the song is a classic, be it studio album, Beast over Hammersmith, Live after Death or Ullevi - a straight 10 from me as well.

A perfect song. Especially the solo section is absolutely beautiful. Even my friends, who normally don't like Iron Maiden, loves this track. :)

I'll give it an 10.

Can it be given anything other than 10? No. This was my favourite Maiden song for years until one or two took over. Then I saw a Maiden tribute band a short while back and it is now back up there.

Has anyone heard the mashup that has been done with this track and Blondie's "Call Me"?

To those that have not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jgcjcHbnIg

Can't give it a 10 because I like Prowler and Transylvania better. Really, I understand its importance and power at live gigs, but at the same time I prefer at least two dozen other Maiden songs in the catalogue.

Back