Phantom of the Opera

How good is Phantom of the Opera on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Phantom Of The Opera' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'phantom Of The Opera'

[a href=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/?url=album01_ironmaiden/phantom/phantom00&link=albums&lang=eng\' target=\'_blank\'][img src=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/pictures/pictures01_ironmaiden/phantom02_small.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /][/a]

Yes! I re-read Gaston Leroux's Phantom of the Opera after about 30 years since the last time I did (I'd read it in its original text then, and settled for an English version this time).

What can I say? It's a great book. The style is a bit "oldish" and quite remote from Stephen King's, but it's still an excellent read.

I personally liked Erik's character, and hated that little wimp of a Raoul de Chagny. I can't understand why Christine fell for that toe-rag... Erik may be ugly beyond belief, but he is cultured and attentive to her desires, whereas Raoul has the cognition of a banana or of an IMBBer. Women, hey? I'll never understand them! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Anyway, the E-text is now on the Commentary, and I'd be very happy to get some feedback from anyone interested in reading this classic novel [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'phantom Of The Opera'

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+May 19 2004, 04:58 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ May 19 2004, 04:58 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Anyway, the E-text is now on the Commentary, and I'd be very happy to get some feedback from anyone interested in reading this classic novel  [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
Hey ! That´s good ! I´ll stop by there when I got some time. Surely I want to read it !!!

As for the song, needless to say that is fuc*ing great ! All is perfect ! Steve is a genius indeed !

'phantom Of The Opera'

The worst part about Phantom of the Opera is the production. Imagine how this song would sound if they rerecorded it, like they did with Prowler and Charlotte the Harlot back in '88...

Let me repeat that for certain bassists.

[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']Imagine how this song would sound if they rerecorded it[/span] like they did with Prowler and Charlotte the Harlot back in '88...

'phantom Of The Opera'

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jul 9 2004, 02:08 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jul 9 2004, 02:08 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] The worst part about Phantom of the Opera is the production.  Imagine how this song would sound if they rerecorded it, like they did with Prowler and Charlotte the Harlot back in '88...

Let me repeat that for certain bassists.

[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']Imagine how this song would sound if they rerecorded it[/span] like they did with Prowler and Charlotte the Harlot back in '88... [/quote]
Disagree by all means !!! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

The feeling, "the little thing we can´t describe", the power of this album is part of its poor production.

Yes I agree the production is poor. But I really don´t like Prowler and Charlotte 88. The Seventh son sound which came in those b-sides really didn´t fit the songs, at least for my ears. I would prefer a Killers or even a Piece of Mind production in a possible rerecording of Phantom.

The bassist you said is Harris ? Why ? [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Cheers !

'phantom Of The Opera'

The only reason I hinted for Steve there is because he is the guy who calls a lot of the shots with the band. Plus Phantom is his tune.

I didn't mean in the same style as Prowler and Charlotte '88. Everyone here knows I dislike that album and sound. But imagine what it'd sound like with the Dance of Death/Brave New World sound? I think it'd be killer.

'phantom Of The Opera'

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jul 9 2004, 07:01 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jul 9 2004, 07:01 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I didn't mean in the same style as Prowler and Charlotte '88.  Everyone here knows I dislike that album and sound.  But imagine what it'd sound like with the Dance of Death/Brave New World sound?  I think it'd be killer. [/quote]
Now I got your point ! I think at least...

Since BNW/DoD are albums with a more complex, more produced and more, lets call it, progressive sound, and since Phantom is one of those songs which is very complex and lets call it progressive song that deserves a better production you thinks that the two things merge togheter.... Got it ?

HEY ! THAT´S A FUCK*ING GOOD POINT ! [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Never thought about it ! I´m trying to imagine this and surely I agree with you. It would be killer without loosing the vibe.

Well pointed LC ! I submit myself to your wisdom ! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'phantom Of The Opera'

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jul 9 2004, 08:01 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jul 9 2004, 08:01 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] The only reason I hinted for Steve there is because he is the guy who calls a lot of the shots with the band. [/quote]
And do you really think he reads our little BB? [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'phantom Of The Opera'

Why not, Mav? Bruce had us linked to, didn't he? Maybe he comes and peruses the folders every now and then. Stranger things have happened.

'phantom Of The Opera'

I think Phantom sounds fine as it is. I can't see how a new version would be any improvement. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would also expect that Maiden are at least aware of this site. It would make sense for them to stay aware of their fan base. But I doubt they read the BB here much, maybe never. If they read any BB, it's probably the lousy official BB.

'phantom Of The Opera'

One of Maiden's great classics, and easily the best song on the album. As there have been discussions about the production, I'd say it sounds f***in' great. I really like Clive's drumming on this one, therefore I'd go for the live versions of Reading '82 and Hammersmith '82 instead of the LAD rendition.

'phantom Of The Opera'

K I L L E R track!!! This is Maiden at their best, and delivering such a gem on your debut is simply breathtaking. Noone who has heard this track can deny the eternal powers of our lord 'Arry. At least noone who's not brainwashed by those hians...
5 stars plus a [!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'phantom Of The Opera'

Phantom gets four and a half from me. There's that complex simplicity about the song. It almost reminds me of a fugue or so. You can see when it's played life that the boys still enjoy the phenomenal build-up and build-down. My favourite is of course the head-banging part with the solos!
Cool [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--] thing that we can read the book online.

'phantom Of The Opera'

It's quite simple. If you don't like this song, just fuck off and die or something!!

[Thanks to Bruce Dickinson for help with this line [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ]

'phantom Of The Opera'

Can't posibly think of any song that defines Maiden better than "Phantom..." with it's great pounding melody, majestic and theatrical lyrics and alot of tempo-changes.
Would be interesting to hear it as an instrumental sometime.

Re: 'phantom Of The Opera'

Hey,

You've got a good point there, I myself never thought of that, I simply noted that the version on the second Live After Death disk sung by Dickinson was better in every way.  Come to think of it, was that song taken from the Reading Festival? 

I would love to hear that song with the Brave New World sound or even A Matter of Life and Death.  Bruce simply sings it better than Paul.  Paul barely enounciates anything when he sings this one, which is quite a drag, sounds unproffessional and punkish.  Although Paul's work on Killers is really great, his voice isn't so groungy and scratchy.

I think Maiden should re-record the debut album.  I know "that's the what makes is so powerful and sounds like what metal is supposed to sound like" and all that bullshit but I have to agree with Steve Harris on this one, he attempted to correct this with Prowler and Charlotte the Harlot 88.  Unfortunately, the sound was all wrong for the music, and so was Bruce's singing, he sang them with his scratchy voice from the 7th Son - Fear of the Dark era.  Not that I don't like it on the actual albums (7th Son is excellent) but his singing reminds me of how Paul sang them on the first album and the reason why I dislike them in the first place. 

So if they could release that album again, with A Matter of Life and Death sound with Dickinson's revitalized vocals, hurray!

Cheers!

Mr. St-Cyr said:
Hey,

You've got a good point there, I myself never thought of that, I simply noted that the version on the second Live After Death disk sung by Dickinson was better in every way.  Come to think of it, was that song taken from the Reading Festival?

No, Hammersmith.

Mr. St-Cyr said:
  I would love to hear that song with the Brave New World sound or even A Matter of Life and Death.  Bruce simply sings it better than Paul.  Paul barely enounciates anything when he sings this one, which is quite a drag, sounds unproffessional and punkish.  Although Paul's work on Killers is really great, his voice isn't so groungy and scratchy.

I think Maiden should re-record the debut album.  I know "that's the what makes is so powerful and sounds like what metal is supposed to sound like" and all that bullshit but I have to agree with Steve Harris on this one, he attempted to correct this with Prowler and Charlotte the Harlot 88.  Unfortunately, the sound was all wrong for the music, and so was Bruce's singing, he sang them with his scratchy voice from the 7th Son - Fear of the Dark era.  Not that I don't like it on the actual albums (7th Son is excellent) but his singing reminds me of how Paul sang them on the first album and the reason why I dislike them in the first place. 

So if they could release that album again, with A Matter of Life and Death sound with Dickinson's revitalized vocals, hurray!

I wouldn't mind it if they did re-record them, but why fix what isn't broken?

Thats the point, it is broken.  The sound is awful and the vocalist isn't good.  To my ears at least.  I'm just saying that I'd prefer a new version of it.

Mr. St-Cyr said:
Thats the point, it is broken.  The sound is awful and the vocalist isn't good.  To my ears at least.  I'm just saying that I'd prefer a new version of it.

I suggest you hunt down 'Beast Over Hammersmith', then.  It usually goes on eBay for a fairly reasonable price (separately from the rest of Eddie's Archive), or if you can't afford to do that, you could (not that I would be advocating leeching profits from the record companies in ANY way :innocent:) try and download it.  But the version of Phantom on that disc is phenomenal.  Both Bruce and the rest of the band are on top of their game.

Incidentally, does anyone else wish they would release Beast Over Hammersmith as a general release?  It certainly beats Live at Donnington, in my mind!

Yes I do have that one.  Have any of you heard "Hallowed Be Thy Name" on the "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" single?  This is what I'm talking about, they should've done the same thing for "Phantom of the Opera."  Considering they chose "Hallowed Be Thy Name," which is perfect just the way it is, they should've taken "Phantom of the Opera" too.

Back