Paul Di'Anno

If Maiden reunite with Paul for a song during the farewell tour, I sincerely hope he does this word for word (I should have it queued up at the right moment at the 20:20 mark).

Last edited:
Di'anno can't sing anymore (and hasn't been able to for years) so I wouldn't want him to "sing" at all on any Maiden farewell tour!

Ever seen him live? I have, thrice, and each time it was great. But I guess it depends on what you're expecting from a live gig, I know I'm not there for a faithful reproduction of an album but for the intensity, and the heat and the sweat, and the contact between band and audience.

I'm sure the atmosphere is great, but Paul is a shadow of his former glory. He used to have a great voice and did some great singing on the Maiden albums he was on (as well as the Dianno album and the Battlezone stuff). On that video you just posted - he's just yelling and screaming off key in random places - no vocal technique or control whatsoever.

When he sang with Maiden, he was good - even very good. He was able to sing reasonably close to his studio efforts through his tenure. Listening to him sing live for the last several years has been sad.

I don't know, maybe because many of the bands I like have vocalists screaming or growling - sometimes in random places indeed - that I've never cared much about technique and such. A matter of taste I suppose.
But I think I understand what you mean.

On one hand, I get that he probably gets bored and tries to mix things up. I mean...his entire career basically boils down to nearly 40 years focusing on about 20 songs or so (and three of those were instrumentals). That must be maddening.

But on the other...he's just devolved into ridiculous karaoke on stage. The Serj Tankian-esque freak out stuff or the quasi-growling that he does is absolutely hilariously bad. Either a) he genuinely thinks that he's being a badass or b) he's just taking the piss and doesn't care because he's still getting paid. Either way, it's bad.

Last edited:
I don't know, maybe because many of the bands I like have vocalists screaming or growling - sometimes in random places indeed - that I've never cared much about technique and such. A matter of taste I suppose.
But I think I understand what you mean.

I respect your view, but Paul was never like that at all back in the day. On the stuff I've heard live from his Maiden days, the Dianno era, and Battlezone, he never sang like what he does now. He would sing the songs fairly straightforward (like the studio versions), but since it's live - there's differences. On some performances, he'd alter the melody, change the phrasing slightly, etc - but he kept time, he didn't have the god-awful throaty thin growl voice he does now, and he kept pitch pretty well. He used to be a good live singer that sang reasonably close to his studio takes. It's depressing to hear him now.

I respect your view, but Paul was never like that at all back in the day. On the stuff I've heard live from his Maiden days, the Dianno era, and Battlezone, he never sang like what he does now. He would sing the songs fairly straightforward (like the studio versions), but since it's live - there's differences. On some performances, he'd alter the melody, change the phrasing slightly, etc - but he kept time, he didn't have the god-awful throaty thin growl voice he does now, and he kept pitch pretty well. He used to be a good live singer that sang reasonably close to his studio takes. It's depressing to hear him now.
I feel we agree on most points, Paul's talent for example, or his, let's say, not exactly responsible way of dealing with it.

You know what’s sad? At least where I live his records are much easier to find at a record store than anything Blaze does, despite Blaze having better music and a better attitude.

For the first time, a member of Iron Maiden (it is an ex-member but it is still a first and he took part in the recordings as well) confirms that Paul Cairns did record with Iron Maiden on the Soundhouse Tapes.
See the full interview with Paul Di'Anno here.

Last edited:
Yup, read it when they finally managed to upload it (which was particularly hilarious after all the hype on the Legacy fb page). I'm sure they didn't mean it, but they made it look like this was the only point of the whole interview that was of any interest. I'm glad that Paul seems to be in a good shape and mood.
As for Paul Cairns, I've never doubted he's on the Soundhouse Tapes, especially since he said so himself.

Back